Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Big Rock Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Big Rock Brewery

Post by beerstodiscover »

Big Rock is releasing a kriek which can be pre-ordered for $18.65 for 650ml. Interesting that this is the first Canadian brewery to make a lambic (Correct me if I'm wrong and I know Bellwoods is working on their own). And also the first time I've seen beer pre-orders like this in Ontario.

From BR:
"After exposure to ambient air and spontaneous fermentation in our custom coolship, this beer follows authentic Lambic style – crafted using traditional methods and aged 16 months in wine barrels.
A balance of sour and sweet, that pours a rich red hue… welcome, the Belgian brother of the Barrel Series.
Introducing a Kriek that is wild at heart in the Lambic tradition, and tamed by the sweetness of cherries and Belgian sugar."

I'm not sure I'll take the plunge, as this brewery has always been kinda middling to me. But it is tempting!

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Additional details in the blog post. This was brewed at the Calgary brewery, 3,000 bottles total.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Yeah, takes a big leap of faith tomorow-order this from a very mediocre brewery. Wonder just how many they will sell.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I don't hold Big Rock any ill will...in fact, Trad and Grasshopper were two of the first 'crafty' beers I ever enjoyed, so if anything I have a soft spot for them.

But it takes huge clanging brass balls for a brewery to charge ~19 bucks for a bomber when they haven't put out any top notch beers in... well, ever. The fact that it's a sour (something Big Rock is not known for and must have limited experience with) makes the whole prospect even iffier. Just my 2 cents. Good on them for trying something new, I guess.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

For those curious, I am now drinking the kriek at big rock:s liberty common bar. It is sour acidic and dry as expected, with plently of kriek fruit flavour. It is not as conplex as some lambics I have had, but for a first attempt it is well made. It is missing the aged cheesey hop flavour of most lambics. Worth a try, if you find yourself at the brewery.