Grand River Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Grand River Brewing

Postby Tapsucker » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:24 pm

midlife crisis wrote:
Yes, good adds. I liked a strong bitter or old ale Niagara did, as I recall,though the name escapes me. Brick's Bock was quite nice for a little while.

I thought of Granite, which I immediately loved, but in those days you couldn't get them "to go", so think of it more as a destination. Same with Denisons of course.


I'm guessing you are referring to Gritstone. That was a fine beer.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: Grand River Brewing

Postby S. St. Jeb » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:11 pm

Tapsucker wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:
Yes, good adds. I liked a strong bitter or old ale Niagara did, as I recall,though the name escapes me. Brick's Bock was quite nice for a little while.

I thought of Granite, which I immediately loved, but in those days you couldn't get them "to go", so think of it more as a destination. Same with Denisons of course.


I'm guessing you are referring to Gritstone. That was a fine beer.

Yes, Gritstone was very good.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9924
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

earliest craft brewers ON

Postby Belgian » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:13 am

What a retro discussion! I drank Gritstone sometimes, also Niagara Trapper Lager.

Way early on I liked Connor's Best Bitter even more than Gritstone, and Algonquin Country Lager which was hazy and unfiltered, making it seem more natural.

Upper Canada was a trainwreck of often good beers that could be horribly inconsistent. Sleeman made them better when they were bought.
Remember Upper Canada Rebellion?
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
BartOwl
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:14 pm
Location: King and Beerthurst

Re: Grand River Brewing

Postby BartOwl » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:04 am

I remember drinking Gritstone fondly, as well as Conner's Best Bitter, Wellington Best Bitter, and who can forget Dragon's Breath Pale Ale. DBPA was a very hoppy beer for the time. How times have changed.
User avatar
Gedge
Bar Fly
Posts: 883
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Dementia Five

Re: Grand River Brewing

Postby Gedge » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:00 am

Remember when Mill St. Tankhouse was actually pretty decent?

Also, Sgt. Major.
User avatar
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: earliest craft brewers ON

Postby Tapsucker » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Belgian wrote:What a retro discussion! I drank Gritstone sometimes, also Niagara Trapper Lager.

Way early on I liked Connor's Best Bitter even more than Gritstone, and Algonquin Country Lager which was hazy and unfiltered, making it seem more natural.

Upper Canada was a trainwreck of often good beers that could be horribly inconsistent. Sleeman made them better when they were bought.
Remember Upper Canada Rebellion?


I actually got to drink a lot of Rebellion and other Upper Canada in the 80's. It was a bit pricey for my budget in those days, but for a brief while I had a roommate that worked there in some admin capacity. He didn't drink and my other roommates were not into beer, so he would bring home his weekly 'employee supply' and give ti to me. It was a terrible arrangement. 8)
Brands are for cattle.

Fans are cash cows.

The herd will consume until consumed.
User avatar
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Grand River Brewing

Postby Tapsucker » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:29 pm

Gedge wrote:Remember when Mill St. Tankhouse was actually pretty decent?

Also, Sgt. Major.


Yes, but I'd say these came along in a much later wave.
Scotch Irish was great. I'd love to refresh my memory on their beers to see how they would fit in with my palete today .
Brands are for cattle.

Fans are cash cows.

The herd will consume until consumed.
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: Grand River Brewing

Postby S. St. Jeb » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Andicus
Bar Fly
Posts: 622
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: St. Catharines

Re: Grand River Brewing

Postby Andicus » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:33 pm

Gedge wrote:Remember when Mill St. Tankhouse was actually pretty decent?

Also, Sgt. Major.

I remember this, well. It was still decent, IMHO, until they switched to 'Organic.' Definitely downhill after that. After I tried the first one, I bought most of the old recipe Tankhouse I could find, around town.

As it had been my go-to everyday beer for about 13 years, I adapted to the new recipe, but it's very inconsistent. A lot of foamy batches, and a 'good' batch is just okay.

The baffling part is that I've been having trouble even finding it, locally (St. Catharines), lately. One would think Labatt would have a decent distribution network, but it has been noticeably less available since the buyout.

And, yeah, Sgt. Major! Somebody get Perry brewing again. I'll drink to that!

Return to “Ontario Brewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron