Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Worst Ontario Craft Breweries

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

With Oshawa Brewing Company no longer a thing, the title for worst Ontario brewery has to go to Falcon doesn’t it?

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Coronaeus wrote:With Oshawa Brewing Company no longer a thing, the title for worst Ontario brewery has to go to Falcon doesn’t it?
I’ve never even heard of it

Where they from?

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

duckdown wrote:
Coronaeus wrote:With Oshawa Brewing Company no longer a thing, the title for worst Ontario brewery has to go to Falcon doesn’t it?
I’ve never even heard of it

Where they from?
Ajax. Formerly a contract brewer. I think they used to be called Red Falcon, the name of their flagship lager.

https://falconbeer.beer/

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Innocente makes one of the best Pilseners and best Porters in the province. Saying they’re one of the worst breweries in the province just shows that “hazebros” shouldn’t rate beer. It’s like having someone only into peat bomb scotches tell me what bourbons they hate.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Innocente makes one of the best Pilseners and best Porters in the province. Saying they’re one of the worst breweries in the province just shows that “hazebros” shouldn’t rate beer. It’s like having someone only into peat bomb scotches tell me what bourbons they hate.
Yikes! Was just my experience there, didn’t mean it in any way shape or form as a professional review

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

My apologies if I was snarky, I was admittedly drinking, and have an issue with “unpopular” or “untrendy” breweries getting dumped on just because they don’t make haze bombs or sours or whatnot. To say an entire brewery stinks one needs to objectively try all their beer “for the style” and then place judgement.

In other words, Decendants makes terrible beer regardless of style and therefore qualifies, imo. Innocente makes a very good Pilsener and Porter, objectively, and therefore doesn’t.

Everything I’ve had from Shakespeare Brewing, regardless of style, has been terrible. Poor home brew quality. Bayside has consistently made some of the worst beer in the province, although admittedly I haven’t had it in a few years. But considering everything was continuously infected, they’d still get my vote for the worst.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

With two caveats and based on my personal experience, I'm going to nominate Bandit.

So the caveats:
I've only been there four times and the last was at least a year ago
They were pushing a lot of sours, not a style I like

I'd say the biggest anecdotal strike against them was when I went there with five other friends. Rather than try a flight, we each ordered a different beer and shared (ah, the good old days). Among us we had beer lovers, beer indifferent and two home brewers. We all agreed that not a single one of the five beers (two people did order the same) were really any good. In fact, it's very unusual in that crowd to leave something behind, but a few glasses were just abandoned. Yes there were beers in styles I don't particularly like, but I'm open to trying. It was really the execution that was so disappointing, though.Just poorly balanced flavors and possibly some contamination.

On subsequent sampling, I have not had any better beer there. It's sad. I like the patio and the vibe of the place, if a bit too trendy, but still. My guess is they just try too hard to chase fad recipes and don't have their basics together.

I gave up on them a while ago, your mileage may vary.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:My apologies if I was snarky, I was admittedly drinking, and have an issue with “unpopular” or “untrendy” breweries getting dumped on just because they don’t make haze bombs or sours or whatnot. To say an entire brewery stinks one needs to objectively try all their beer “for the style” and then place judgement.

In other words, Decendants makes terrible beer regardless of style and therefore qualifies, imo. Innocente makes a very good Pilsener and Porter, objectively, and therefore doesn’t.

Everything I’ve had from Shakespeare Brewing, regardless of style, has been terrible. Poor home brew quality. Bayside has consistently made some of the worst beer in the province, although admittedly I haven’t had it in a few years. But considering everything was continuously infected, they’d still get my vote for the worst.
All good my friend, I actually understand your point 100% and I don’t even disagree with it.

If you placed a taster flight full of Pilsner or lagers in front of me, I like to THINK I’d know which are better or worse, but honestly, I’d be the absolutely wrong guy to score them. And as you said, I’d be bored drinking all of them because I definitely am the hazy/sour type you mentioned.. only difference is I love anything fruited too. Been saying for years they’re underrated

I’m going to give Innocente another shot. Glad I was at least right about Descendants hahah

What did you think of the Willibald?

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Tapsucker wrote:With two caveats and based on my personal experience, I'm going to nominate Bandit.

So the caveats:
I've only been there four times and the last was at least a year ago
They were pushing a lot of sours, not a style I like

I'd say the biggest anecdotal strike against them was when I went there with five other friends. Rather than try a flight, we each ordered a different beer and shared (ah, the good old days). Among us we had beer lovers, beer indifferent and two home brewers. We all agreed that not a single one of the five beers (two people did order the same) were really any good. In fact, it's very unusual in that crowd to leave something behind, but a few glasses were just abandoned. Yes there were beers in styles I don't particularly like, but I'm open to trying. It was really the execution that was so disappointing, though.Just poorly balanced flavors and possibly some contamination.

On subsequent sampling, I have not had any better beer there. It's sad. I like the patio and the vibe of the place, if a bit too trendy, but still. My guess is they just try too hard to chase fad recipes and don't have their basics together.

I gave up on them a while ago, your mileage may vary.
Ohhh damn! I might’ve dodged a bullet as one of my buddies on Discord was asking me just yesterday if he wanted me to pick anything from Bandit up (we’re always sending or meeting up to trade beers) and I said I’d pass on it this round. I don’t have much experience with them until this point outside what I’ve tried on tap at Arabella

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

duckdown wrote:I’m going to give Innocente another shot. Glad I was at least right about Descendants hahah

I’d only give Innocente a shot if those styles are your thing. Sours are really not my thing, so I’d never give someone like Small Pony a try and/or review, for instance.

Willibald is excellent. Enjoyed ever beer I ordered and definitely play to revisit.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
duckdown wrote:I’m going to give Innocente another shot. Glad I was at least right about Descendants hahah

I’d only give Innocente a shot if those styles are your thing. Sours are really not my thing, so I’d never give someone like Small Pony a try and/or review, for instance.
I've only had the pleasure of having Small Pony the odd times they've been on tap at Arabella park. A full pour for $9 vs the $16.99 per 355ml bottle on their website. They were utterly delicious, though.

Willibald is excellent. Enjoyed ever beer I ordered and definitely play to revisit.
Absolutely agreed, liked all 3 of my picks EXCEPT all 3 suffered from the same pitfall of a body that seemed a bit too thin, and there wasn't much lacing nor head retention. Either way, they are really getting close to greatness I think. Color is a 10

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Was just on Willibalds website and they’ve changed the delivery from Waterloo Region to Waterloo, Kitchener, Cambridge and Ayr. So I guess they’re not coming to Elmira any longer.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Was just on Willibalds website and they’ve changed the delivery from Waterloo Region to Waterloo, Kitchener, Cambridge and Ayr. So I guess they’re not coming to Elmira any longer.
It's official. You now live in the boonies. :D

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Was just on Willibalds website and they’ve changed the delivery from Waterloo Region to Waterloo, Kitchener, Cambridge and Ayr. So I guess they’re not coming to Elmira any longer.
They flat out refused me on the day I called to ask about it, and it was the same day you told me they did it for you.. I think you were the straw that broke the camels back LOL

Sad, I had to get mine shipped to a wifes coworker in Kitchener

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
It's official. You now live in the boonies. :D
We're part of Waterloo, tho!!!!! Ahhhhhhh