Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Avling Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BartOwl

Avling Brewery

Post by BartOwl »

I just got back from this Toronto (Leslieville) brewery on Queen East. It has opened at the beginning of July, so it is fairly new. https://www.avling.ca/

I had the Epserta (Hoppy Belgian Ale) and the Avling IPA. I also got to taste the Avling Saison, Pilsener, Galette (Buckwheat Sasion), and Brevis Cherry (Tart Saison). Everything I had there was good and could be described as flavourful, well balanced, yet light. If you are looking for dark malt heavy beers, then this is not the place for you, at least at this time. The beers they have are perfect for summer. Food was decent.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BartOwl wrote:I just got back from this Toronto (Leslieville) brewery on Queen East. It has opened at the beginning of July, so it is fairly new. https://www.avling.ca/

I had the Epserta (Hoppy Belgian Ale) and the Avling IPA. I also got to taste the Avling Saison, Pilsener, Galette (Buckwheat Sasion), and Brevis Cherry (Tart Saison). Everything I had there was good and could be described as flavourful, well balanced, yet light. If you are looking for dark malt heavy beers, then this is not the place for you, at least at this time. The beers they have are perfect for summer. Food was decent.
I've walked by many times, place looks great thanks for the notes.

Has a rooftop farm! Link with pictures.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I've had a few things from this brewery now and I am consistently impressed. Some of their saisons blew me away a few months ago. I just put in an order and tried the Pilsner and it was also top notch. Very good brewery so far, this might be a new favourite of mine.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Saisons and Lagers have been good, pales/IPAs/etc were not so great.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I just had their Calm Sea (Pale Ale) for lunch and thought it excellent.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Ha, with lunch, not for lunch. I'm not quite that bad. :P

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

They have some really nice, simple, fresh-tasting beers and they're usually consistent. They only do short cans, perfect for the backyard or beach.

I recommend stopping by and checking out their food retail as well...fresh veggies, great cuts of meat, prepared foods, pickles, etc. Also, their bacon is next-level (to the point that I considered not sharing that info)!