Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flora Hall

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Flora Hall

Post by S. St. Jeb »

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/b ... -ntp-feeds

Came across this article in which "the owner of Flora Hall Brewing has asked the City of Ottawa to consider allowing breweries, restaurants and pubs that don't have patio space to operate "pop-up" establishments in city parks."

Sounds like a good idea. But "he's only mildly hopeful. "I've got a city-type response, which is enthusiasm but stonewalling at the same time," he said. "We all know how short summer is in Ottawa, so I'm expecting a positive response in and around November or December.""

8)

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I saw this in the media too. The first thing that crossed my mind was, well, now I've heard of Flora Hall. :wink:

It is a good idea though. The few brewers left that use bottles instead of cans aside, how much more litter cam this cause than all the other junk food wrappers and coffee cups?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Tapsucker wrote:I saw this in the media too. The first thing that crossed my mind was, well, now I've heard of Flora Hall. :wink:

It is a good idea though. The few brewers left that use bottles instead of cans aside, how much more litter cam this cause than all the other junk food wrappers and coffee cups?
That and unlike regular litter there's actually a benefit since many people collect empties as a source of cash. Having spent time at Bellwoods back in the day I can tell you some of those people are pretty much professional collectors.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

seangm wrote: That and unlike regular litter there's actually a benefit since many people collect empties as a source of cash. Having spent time at Bellwoods back in the day I can tell you some of those people are pretty much professional collectors.
I recall back in the 1980s having a friend who lived right by Bellwoods. The park was our backyard and open liquor was already tolerated there, up to the point of obnoxiousness or destructive behavior.

Even then there where people 'busing' our empties for us, They also made some coin selling contraband cigarettes. There was an ecosystem that worked.

These days, one particular social circle I am part of and will avoid implicating, like to enjoy our city's excellent park system and that includes enjoying a few beers in many of the precious spaces we have. It is a rule of thumb for us to leave our empties next to blue bins, rather than in them. For those that harvest this resource, why make them dig through the icky bins? I encourage other lawless public drinkers to consider the same. 8)
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.