Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wet Hopped Ales?

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Looks like Hamilton's finest were listening! https://collectiveartsontario.com/produ ... 6fc709ec71

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Great Lakes announced two.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Great Lakes announced two.
Ya, the Centennial has already come and gone unfortunately (post is from September 4). Looking forward to trying the Chinook, though.

Speaking of Chinook, the Collective Arts WH is a nice delicate showcase of that hop, with subtle notes of melon fruit, earth, cut grass, and a little dankness. Also dig the oily mouthfeel and bone dry finish. Ordered at 10:30 in the morning and arrived at 4:30 the same day. Colour me impressed.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

cratez wrote:Ordered at 10:30 in the morning and arrived at 4:30 the same day. Colour me impressed.
Indeed!!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Innocente just announced their Wet Hop is out next week.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Cheers, I've ordered some Great Lakes Chinook. Any early reviews?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Royal City have their Community Brew out, which is made from fresh hops grown by random people around the city: https://royalcitybrew.ca/collections/20 ... unity-brew

I have no way to know, but I speculate that they would top that up with other hops to make the final beer.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

So I'm finding the Great Lakes Chinook Wet Hop just Ok. I think they deliberately choose a very subdued malt/yeast base to showcase the hopes , which would make sense. However, I don't get much hop aroma at all. Perhaps some spicy pine but very faint. The taste has that grassy taste that I expect with fresh hopes but again, the taste is quite faint and I think it is predominately bittering that is coming out of the hops (though not unpleasant). So, a nice pale ale with a delicate hop profile but nothing world beating.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

alsiem wrote:So I'm finding the Great Lakes Chinook Wet Hop just Ok.
Ditto. I am enjoying the Collective Arts Wet Hop a bit more. Bine Hunter was the best of the three, by a wide margin.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Picked up the Rogue Coast Haste Imperial Hazy IPA and despite the LCBO's IPA aging program, it's quite good. I didn't realize until after I'd bought it but it's a wet hopped IPA and it's loaded with fantastic fruity tropical hops. It has that full, viscous body that's typical of today's hazy IPAs- the profile reminded me a bit of some Third Moon stuff I've had- a bit dank alongside the intense fruitiness.

Considering it was canned 9/12, I was impressed and say it's worth a shot for the time being.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Ha, I had that in my hands on Monday and decided not to get it because of the canning date.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Craig wrote:Ha, I had that in my hands on Monday and decided not to get it because of the canning date.
Yea, I would normally skip it at that age but for whatever reason I had a good feeling about it. I can only imagine how much better it was fresh though.