Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wet Hopped Ales?

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

alsiem

Wet Hopped Ales?

Post by alsiem »

We used to get Amsterdam's Autumn Hop Ale and I thought that was great but I don't think that's been produced for a few years now. Are there any wet hopped ales that are coming to the LCBO this fall or do people know of any Toronto based brewers that are planning one this year? I don't think that I'll get out to more remote regions but for the Province wide audience of this site, feel free to chime in with any local producers. Who knows, I might find them being resold for takeout at bars/restaurants.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

The only one I've had so far this year is Great Lakes' Centennial Wet Hop Ale, which was brewery-only and has already sold out. It was pretty good, and an improvement over last year's WHA, though I was a bit disappointed that they made it a hazy/New England-style pale with low bitterness (for me, these beers are best represented in the West Coast style).

I've seen no indications that Amsterdam Autumn Hop and Nickel Brook Ontario Wet Hop are returning this year. Hoping they have just kept things under wraps and we do see them come back. If we're lucky, Bellwoods Bine Hunter might make a return. Haven't heard anything official yet.

Overall the style is terribly underrepresented in Ontario, something that was discussed on here a few weeks ago. I'm not sure why that is the case.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I think Bellwoods announced Bine Hunter. I just can’t find where. Maybe a newsletter.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

That's too bad I missed the Great Lakes version. I had seen a social media post but it never made the online store as far as I could tell. I think Great Lakes needs to dial down the NE IPA love a bit, they've got 4 for sale now and I've had deliveries of others over the summer (Forlorn Unicorn, Used to Be Cool). Perhaps just my fatigue, if they have 3 variations of porters online in October I'd be happy. Gotta love any brewery that has 7 types of IPAs to buy. Ontario has come along way.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Coronaeus wrote:I think Bellwoods announced Bine Hunter. I just can’t find where. Maybe a newsletter.
Bine Hunter is for sale now, both locations and online store.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

seangm wrote:
Coronaeus wrote:I think Bellwoods announced Bine Hunter. I just can’t find where. Maybe a newsletter.
Bine Hunter is for sale now, both locations and online store.
https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2020/0 ... -pale-ale/

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Is it gone already? I looked online and can't find it.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Craig wrote:Is it gone already? I looked online and can't find it.
It was still on the Ossington shop page about 30 minutes ago. I’m guessing sold out online and at Hafis.

S M A

Post by S M A »

^^^ I find that they often add beer listings to the site a day or so after they appear at the shops. So it probably just hasn't been listed yet. I may go there later to check, if so I'll verify.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Yep, looks like it's sold out online already. That didn't take long.

S M A wrote:^^^ I find that they often add beer listings to the site a day or so after they appear at the shops. So it probably just hasn't been listed yet. I may go there later to check, if so I'll verify.
I can confirm that I saw it on the web shop last night and it's gone as of this morning.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Elora just released a new Wet Hop pale ale yesterday.
Grabbed a couple cans, but haven’t tried it yet.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Elora just released a new Wet Hop pale ale yesterday.
Grabbed a couple cans, but haven’t tried it yet.
Thanks for that! I've been wanting a fresh hop and thought I might miss out this year. Just put in an order.

Cask

Post by Cask »

Collective Arts has a new Wet Hop with Chinook:

https://collectiveartsontario.com/products/wet-hop

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TWB in Kitchener just released a wet hop ale

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Cask wrote:Collective Arts has a new Wet Hop with Chinook:

https://collectiveartsontario.com/products/wet-hop
I just ordered my first delivery from them based on this info. The handful of tasty looking DIPAs also available made it that much easier to pull the trigger. :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott