Stone City Ales in Kingston

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

Masterplan
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Masterplan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:01 pm

Craig wrote:We've been getting quite a bit of their more eclectic stuff in Toronto lately. I had their Two Smoking Bushels (Rauchweizen on apples) and Raithlin's Revenge (Rum barrel aged North American red) at Barhop last night. They were both interesting.


I picked up two bombers of two smoking bushels and morning light a 'coffee ipa'? Will post thoughts when I drink them.
Masterplan
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Masterplan » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:49 pm

So the Morning Light, a coffee IPA, isn't really my thing. I like IPA's and coffee (even cold coffee), but mix them together in the same glass at a 9 part IPA to 1 part cold coffee, and this is what I'd expect.
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1600
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Craig » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:19 pm

Apparently they're releasing Juggernaut Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial Stout today. I wonder if they'll send any kegs to Toronto, I'd love to try this one.
Masterplan
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Masterplan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Craig wrote:Apparently they're releasing Juggernaut Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial Stout today. I wonder if they'll send any kegs to Toronto, I'd love to try this one.

If it doesn't come, I got a bottle for you. It's very bourbon forward, I like a bit more chocolate or coffee maltiness. I will let my other bottle sit for a while before drinking.

The sample I got at the brewery was way too cool for drinking and really lacking depth. At room temp it's slightly more complex, but thinner than a Tempest but bourbon dominated. Probably the biggest beer they've done to date, and while I'd rank it in the pretty good range, it's likely the best Ontario imperial stout this side on TO.

Edit: the barrels are from Woodford Reserve in Kentucky.
Masterplan
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Masterplan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:32 pm

Also, if anyone else is interested, or gets a taste and wants a bomber or two to sock away, I will grab some more and trade dollar for dollar on regular bellwood beers...
Masterplan
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Masterplan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:38 pm

Almost forgot, while at the brewery, I also sampled Shipwreck stout, which, was okay, but not up to snuff with their regular everyday Ships in the Night oatmeal stout, and Old Boots Brown Ale, which was pretty pedestrian beside Juggernaut and Shipwreck, but very on style.
User avatar
northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:17 am
Location: Eglinton and Yonge
Contact:

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby northyorksammy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:54 pm

Masterplan wrote:
Craig wrote:Apparently they're releasing Juggernaut Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial Stout today. I wonder if they'll send any kegs to Toronto, I'd love to try this one.

If it doesn't come, I got a bottle for you. It's very bourbon forward, I like a bit more chocolate or coffee maltiness. I will let my other bottle sit for a while before drinking.

The sample I got at the brewery was way too cool for drinking and really lacking depth. At room temp it's slightly more complex, but thinner than a Tempest but bourbon dominated. Probably the biggest beer they've done to date, and while I'd rank it in the pretty good range, it's likely the best Ontario imperial stout this side on TO.

Edit: the barrels are from Woodford Reserve in Kentucky.

I'm in too!
Reliable Beer Critic
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1600
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Craig » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks MP. Maybe we can work an exchange over Christmas.
Masterplan
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Masterplan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:06 pm

Craig wrote:Thanks MP. Maybe we can work an exchange over Christmas.

Juggernaut is available at Bar Hop now.
Masterplan
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Masterplan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:26 pm

Just released Scouts Secret Stash, double IPA, 8.4% ABV, 100 IBUs. Will review tonight...
Masterplan
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Masterplan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Masterplan wrote:Just released Scouts Secret Stash, double IPA, 8.4% ABV, 100 IBUs. Will review tonight...

Very Twice as Mad Tom. Lemon peppery with a tropical nose and very raw earthy hop flavour. Okay but not my favorite. If you like 2xMT, this is right up you alley.
Masterplan
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Masterplan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:09 am

So they just brewed 3 different imperial stouts and are barrel aging them in there tap room... They're gonna need a bigger space.


https://www.instagram.com/p/BAPeAv2o6_Z/
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1600
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Craig » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:00 pm

Maybe they should look into an off-site warehouse for their barrels. My folk's garage could work.

I've recently gotten to try quite a few of their offerings. IIPA, oatmeal stout, some sort of imperial fruit wheat/saison thing and Juggernaut. Every one of them was tasty. None were total home runs (Juggernaut would be if you want a BBA IS that leans very heavily towards the bourbon) but they were all on a level that I would expect from the better craft brewers in Ontario. Even the IIPA, while not hopped exactly to my tastes, was balanced and without flaws, which makes it better than most I try.

I think if I were to make a top-5 Ontario brewers list right now, these guys would be on it.
Masterplan
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Masterplan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Hopline Bling, IPA. 6.4 ABV, 60 IBU, brewed with oats, Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo, Mosaic & Citra.

Really interesting hop profile partly pine and forward hop dankness, it finishes with a dry white wine taste. Very dank aroma. While not very sessionable, very original.

https://twitter.com/StoneCityAles/status/688054035744722946?s=09
Masterplan
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Stone City Ales in Kingston

Postby Masterplan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:15 pm

So they're releasing a collaboration with Sawdust City tomorrow. An Ale of Two Cities, a sour IPA, 6.5% ABV 65 IBUs, Simcoe, Mosaic, and Citra hopped. Will drop in for a tasting tomorrow.

Return to “Ontario Brewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests