Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stone City Ales in Kingston

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

All very drinkable beers, to date their best are Grizzled Hipster and Sons of Sydenham.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

A friend brought back two squealers as they call them. The tags were off but one was said to be the session ale and the other a Belgian IPA.

The session was a solid C-hop APA, no surprises but well made and refreshing.

The other had darker malts and a good sweetness with an interesting hop accent, more English perhaps than American although there was a funky note too, so probably it's a New World hop(s) of some kind. The Belgian taste was noticeable but not over the top, from the yeast I mean. Also very solid, no faults, very acceptable.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Just brought home a 32oz LPJC (Le Père Jean Claude) strong belgian IPA (7.7% 75 IBU).

Just about everything you want in an ipa. Persistent head, very nice lacing making rings on my glass, similar hoppiness to mad Tom (slightly hoppier IMO) with that Belgian yeast finish.

Well done Stone City!

Slots in at No. 2 on their beers to date (SOS being their best). If you in Kingston this holiday, pick some up....Err, I mean don't...
Last edited by Masterplan on Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Masterplan wrote: Slots in at No. 2 on their beers to date (SOS being their best). If you in Kingston this holiday, pick some up....Err, I mean don't...
I am hoping to drop by...

Looks like they do growlers only? (to go). Do they only do 2L growlers or also 750s?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

They have half growlers, which they call squealers.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

midlife crisis wrote:They have half growlers, which they call squealers.
Thanks!

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

They've also started bottling bombers, as the growler / squealer returns are lacking... Who doesn't return a growler with a $5 deposit?

Just cracked into Tannenbomb, an imperial wit with spruce and cranberry (7.9 % abv, 20 IBU). Nice, dry and crisp, the spruce is the dominate flavour, not my favorite style, but a decently crafted festive wit.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Masterplan wrote:They've also started bottling bombers, as the growler / squealer returns are lacking... Who doesn't return a growler with a $5 deposit?
Me! But only because I get to Kingston infrequently these days.

BTW, the only Ontario brewery I have encountered which will do true growler fills (ie actually fill the empty growler you provide, not merely exchange it for a pre-filled new one) is Block 3. Are there others?

Note: apart from Amsterdam which has, IIRC, custom growlers that are prohibitively expensive. I'm talking about any old standard growler.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

midlife crisis wrote:
Masterplan wrote:They've also started bottling bombers, as the growler / squealer returns are lacking... Who doesn't return a growler with a $5 deposit?
Me! But only because I get to Kingston infrequently these days.

BTW, the only Ontario brewery I have encountered which will do true growler fills (ie actually fill the empty growler you provide, not merely exchange it for a pre-filled new one) is Block 3. Are there others?

Note: apart from Amsterdam which has, IIRC, custom growlers that are prohibitively expensive. I'm talking about any old standard growler.
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to fill other people's growlers in Ontario. That's what they told me at great lakes anyway, though they would fill one of their own if you brought it in.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to fill other people's growlers in Ontario. That's what they told me at great lakes anyway, though they would fill one of their own if you brought it in.
That's weird. What if we all had un-branded growlers, are those somehow illegal to fill just anywhere we like?

Or - is there an interest to force any of us with a pricey branded growler to return to the same brewery? And people would hate having several different proprietary growlers, especially ones from far away, so that inhibits competition yes?

(Not to presume it isn't the regulations at fault, I'm asking the question.)
In Beerum Veritas

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

Nickelbrook will fill any growler

Filled my growler there with "Sons of Sydenham" recently

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Looks like average beers, correcting for where it is, styles. I would try it if brought in local.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Visited the brewpub yesterday and tried 4 of their offerings:

Belgian IPA: this was extremely disappointing. Had next to no Belgian character at all. Just tasted like a fairly bland IPA.

IPA: This was solid. Definitely above agerage but there are plenty better in Ontario.

Oatmeal Stout: the best of the 4. A really nice example of the style.

Tannen Bomb (imperial wit with spruce and cranberry): this was interesting and well made. No complaints but not world class either.

Overall the brewpub is a really cool spot wth a great vibe. The beer was above average but nothingman worthy of hype at this point (in my opinion).

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Can this thread be moved to Ontario Brewers forum?

Drinking their Devil and the Deep a 'kettle soured Ale fermented with 100% brettanomyces, dry hopped with Galaxy and citra'.

6.5%, 30 IBU

Released today.

I'm not a huge sour drinker, but a pretty refreshing beer, juicy with nice floral notes, with some muted sour funkiness.
Last edited by Masterplan on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

We've been getting quite a bit of their more eclectic stuff in Toronto lately. I had their Two Smoking Bushels (Rauchweizen on apples) and Raithlin's Revenge (Rum barrel aged North American red) at Barhop last night. They were both interesting.