Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Rainhard Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Rainhard Brewing

Post by Cass »

Another one coming, to St Clair and Keele.

Gotta say, nice industrial crawl possible with this, Junction Craft Brew & Indie. The "Keele Krawl"??

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2014/08 ... tockyards/

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

After reading this, the 2 first questions I have

what does his bio look like?
Where's the financing coming from?

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Was just up that way a few days ago and visited Junction for the first time...cool spot. Only sampled their dark beers, will have to return.

Indie is always a treat to visit, although their beers were a litlte more "average" than usual this time, I guess only because it was mostly brews I've had before.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Their bottle shop is open this Friday. According to their website, they should have an APA, IPA, IIPA, Saison and RIS available in bombers and growlers. Pretty good lineup for opening day.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Big homebrewer. Lots of awards. Le Coeur Noir from Beaus is his beer that won the Oktoberfest homebrew competition.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

this was on instagram, looking forward to picking up a few bottles!

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Cass wrote:Another one coming, to St Clair and Keele.

Gotta say, nice industrial crawl possible with this, Junction Craft Brew & Indie. The "Keele Krawl"??
Hope it ends better than a keelhaul.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

*BREWERY WEEKEND UPDATE*

FRIDAY: New beer release (Refuge IIPA) - only available at the bottle shop and tap room - $8.95 /650ml - Get there before it sells out!

SATURDAY: BBQ at the brewery. Don't miss out on Crown & Anchor Food as they are grilling ribs! 12pm until sold out

SUNDAY: Queen West Art Crawl @trinity bellwoods Park
For the first time ever, beer will be served (legally, ha!) in bellwoods park. Join us along with Granite Brewery & Bellwoods Brewery as we pour beer in the park

That coincides with a GTA brews club meeting they're hosting on the Saturday.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

I posted in another thread that I was less than impressed with Rainhard's offerings until I tried Kapow! IPA. I bought some bottles of their newest beer, Refuge IIPA, and have to say I have I am really impressed with it. It's perhaps the best local IIPA I've had.

I'd say it's better than Amsterdam's Fracture, Bellwoods' Boogie Monster and Witchshark and GLB's Robohop, which I believe are the only other local IIPAs I've tried.

So for now, Rainhard's initial offerings didn't wow me, but what they have released lately has been excellent. I won't hesitate to try further releases.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

jp_jkl wrote:I posted in another thread that I was less than impressed with Rainhard's offerings until I tried Kapow! IPA. I bought some bottles of their newest beer, Refuge IIPA, and have to say I have I am really impressed with it. It's perhaps the best local IIPA I've had.

I'd say it's better than Amsterdam's Fracture, Bellwoods' Boogie Monster and Witchshark and GLB's Robohop, which I believe are the only other local IIPAs I've tried.

So for now, Rainhard's initial offerings didn't wow me, but what they have released lately has been excellent. I won't hesitate to try further releases.
I very much agree. One of best Ontario DIPAs. Also their IS has aged beautifully. Kapow sold out. Saison better than average.
Last edited by northyorksammy on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reliable Beer Critic

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'd put refugee up there with Bellwood's iipa.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

sprague11 wrote:I'd put refugee up there with Bellwood's iipa.
Do they have any left?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

napoleon wrote:
sprague11 wrote:I'd put refugee up there with Bellwood's iipa.
Do they have any left?
Was lots when I was there yesterday at 3:30.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Their Kapow IPA is apparently making a return this weekend according to their Facebook page. It's my favorite beer from them.

I do wish they'd keep their webpage a bit more updated. Given their remote location, they need all the press they can get. Easier than trying to poke around Facebook, twitter, instagram or what-have-you to figure out what they have.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

napoleon wrote:Their Kapow IPA is apparently making a return this weekend according to their Facebook page. It's my favorite beer from them.

I do wish they'd keep their webpage a bit more updated. Given their remote location, they need all the press they can get. Easier than trying to poke around Facebook, twitter, instagram or what-have-you to figure out what they have.
I follow them on Instagram, which they seem to update a couple times a week. I completely agree that they need the publicity and could benefit from regular social media postings, an email newsletter or a weekly blog post ala Bellwoods. That Berlin wall on Symes Rd off St Clair is a big restriction for accessing the brewery by car. You need to drive in behind the Stockyards mall, past slaughter houses (which often smell really bad) and navigate some of the most pothole-ridden streets in the city. Hey, at least there's free parking at the end.

Kapow gives GLB's Thrust a run for its money. If you like that style of IPA, it's worth seeking out.