Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What HOMEBREW are you drinking right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

J343MY wrote:I'm looking forward to blood oranges too. What are you planning on making with them?
That's a good question. I hadn't thought of anything else yet beyond initially a pale ale based either off my honey tangerine or galaxy hop recipes.

Off the top of my head...

Maybe trying a faux berliner weisse again. Should do well with the flavour. Despite a recommended 11% share of the grain bill, there wasn't that much of a twang from the acidulated malt on my first try.

A brown ale of some sort instead of the more obvious porter or stout. I did a Scottish 80 recently that was tasty. I'm trying to picture it having an orange flavour...

A sour using Wyeast 3203 De Bom Sour Blend Yeast. My first sour and first liquid yeast was using that one. Turned out decent for a first try. Though I'd have to freeze the juice and zest until the yeast is released later in the year. Or perhaps cheat using Blood Orange Candi Syrup. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'd like to have something for the summer so given the time frame involved, a proper lager would work.

Maybe my Old Fashioned with the zest instead of dried orange peel and a tiny splash of juice.

You?
lister

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

lister wrote:That's a good question. I hadn't thought of anything else yet beyond initially a pale ale based either off my honey tangerine or galaxy hop recipes.

Off the top of my head...

Maybe trying a faux berliner weisse again. Should do well with the flavour. Despite a recommended 11% share of the grain bill, there wasn't that much of a twang from the acidulated malt on my first try.

A brown ale of some sort instead of the more obvious porter or stout. I did a Scottish 80 recently that was tasty. I'm trying to picture it having an orange flavour...

A sour using Wyeast 3203 De Bom Sour Blend Yeast. My first sour and first liquid yeast was using that one. Turned out decent for a first try. Though I'd have to freeze the juice and zest until the yeast is released later in the year. Or perhaps cheat using Blood Orange Candi Syrup. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'd like to have something for the summer so given the time frame involved, a proper lager would work.

Maybe my Old Fashioned with the zest instead of dried orange peel and a tiny splash of juice.

You?
A pale or berliner weisse sound pretty good.

Last year I did a blood orange IPA which turned out really well. This year I'm thinking a Saison.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

They had a big bin of blood oranges in the Loblaws at Eastern and Leslie last weekend.

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

Drinking an esb that jsut finished carbonating and my Vienna lager.
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I picked up some blood oranges at the Queen & Portland Loblaws today.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Perky Blonde. (Coffee Blonde.)

Used some freshly roasted Costa Rican beans from Hale just up the street from me. I could probably put in a few more beans next time but this turned out well. I just got in a bunch of beans direct from Coffee Beach in Costa Rica so I'll use them next time.

Yes I like Costa Rican coffee.

Pretty cool mind fuck drinking a pale beer with coffee flavours and aromas when you're used to it being dark beverages.
lister

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

drank Jeremy's flanders red yesterday. loved it.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:drank Jeremy's flanders red yesterday. loved it.
Glad you enjoyed it. This was a fun beer. My first beer with truly wild yeast.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Drinking my Variegated Space Lemon DIPA.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Since I got some more WLP029 yeast I figured I'd try the two brews I've done so far early to see what sort of changes I'd make for upcoming ones.

Kolsch. Great beer for a hot summer's day. A little grainy. The German Hull Melon hops aren't coming through, didn't put enough in.

Blood Orange Munich Helles. Not enough blood orange, otherwise fine. Seems to be a theme with my BO beers other than the BO Faux Berliner Weisse. Will at least double the amount next year.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

NZ Orbit Pale Ale.

After really enjoying Junction's NZ orbit hops beer, I wanted to make my own and it's tasting really good. Very close to Junction's.
lister

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Kolsch. Pils malt, munich and vienna with Tettnanger hops. Took just over 3 weeks to ferment out. Wyeast 2565 takes longer to finish than my lager yeast.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Drinking a rauchbier I still had on keg from the fall. Wanted to finish it up to get the keg back. Actually still not bad.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Belgo/Cascadian Dark ale brewed with the Unibroue yeast. Pretty happy with how this turned out.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole