Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Interested in Homebrewing and live in the Hamilton area?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

If anyone from the Hamilton area is interested in getting started in Homebrewing, I will likely be starting a brew club along with one or two other experienced brewers in the near future (late spring/early summer).

Homebrewed beers can be just as good and often better then beers you regularly purchase (even micros), since they are usually fresher. You also have much more lattitude in the styles you brew (there is really no limit). For example, it is relatively easy to brew a very good weizen, english or american pale ales and especially stouts. On top of that you really do get to reap the fruit of your hobby.

There club will be a homebrew/beer apreciator club with a combination of social (drinking) get togethers and technical (brewing related) meetings. All will be welcome to join of course.

Those who are interested, please email me or post here. When more information is available, I will post it here.

Daniel Hurtubise

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dhurtubise on 2004-03-31 15:23 ]</font>

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

sounds interesting. of course i would need more details (cost, etc.) before i could make a final decision.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I’d really recommend this to anyone who has ever thought about homebrewing. I made a new year’s resolution this year to get in to it, and I have enjoyed every minute of it (well, maybe not so much the bottle washing!). You would be surprised at the quality beer you can produce with a little bit of effort and reading. I am on my fourth batch just using extract / specialty grains in my apartment and I am very pleased with the results. I can’t remember if it was here or on ratebeer that one of our regular contributors mentioned that the homebrewing crowd and the good beer-loving crowd are separate in the GTA, while in other cities they are very much the same crowd. It is too bad – I know for me, homebrewing has increased my appreciation of beer tremendously, and it has also helped me more clearly identify what it is I like (and dislike) about certain beers.

Good luck with the club dhurtubise, I hope it is a success.

Jeff

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

There will be a first meeting shortly (early June - 8th has been proposed). Those interested in attending should email me.

At this meeting, we will basically define the objectives of the club, long and short term and the frequency of the meetings. It is also a good time to discuss your ideas, what you want to get out of the club and bring any issues you would like.

Email me if you would like to attend.

Daniel