Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

It's Brewing Seasons Again!

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

It's Brewing Seasons Again!

Post by JerCraigs »

I am getting ready to do some brewing again. I am going to start with a barleywine, then likely a wheat beer & a flavoured wheat beer at the same time, and another crack at my imperial porter recipe. Maybe some more after that's done. we shall see!

Is anyone interested? Tupalev and Blankboy both expressed some interest. I have all of the equipment (well mostly) needed and the space for it. I am mostly looking for people to supplement the costs. You can participate in the brewing part as much or as little as you would like.

Send me a PM / email for more details.

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

Just curious: how did your barleywine and wheat beers turn out?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

The barleywine was a bit of a disaster (I'll put it this way, I ended up with a strongish pale ale and we started a fire while brewing it ;) ) so I will be trying it again, and I haven't got around to doing the wheat beer yet as I am toying with the idea of doing a partial mash or all grain instead of just extract.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

But the "firestrater" on its own, not what it was set out to be, turned out pretty darn good.

Did you do any brewing this past summer dhurtubise?

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

I have a california common that is laggering right now. When I transfered it, it was exceptional. I will dry hop it in the kegs.

Other than that, the only other beer I made this summer was a 3% bitter (terminal gravity = 1.016!) with loads of body and enough flavouring and aroma hops to please most hop heads. It was a very easy drinking beer and disapeared rather quickly to my chagrin.

I moved into a new place early in the summer and it is basically impossible to brew here - no garage and the house is completely finished with no laundry sinks. As a result I have had to brew at my brother in law's which has limited me quite a bit.

If the wheat beer you want to brew is a weissbier, you can get away with an all extract beer. This is one of the few styles that you can do this. However, here is my suggestion IF final product is what you are after and not the process itself:

Get yourself a kit from Magnotta (wheat beer), transfer it in a well sanitized bucket and pitch some white labs wheat beer yeast (starter prefered but not required). DO NOT PITCH THE YEAST THAT COMES WITH IT - it will only give you a bland little wheat ale. The cost is minimal and the quality of the resulting beer is that of an authentic grain weizen. 40$ gets you 2 1/2 cases of weiss beer in less than three weeks.

For the kit (available in quite a few places but at a real good price from Barry) and especially for the yeast, contact Barry Pilatske at 416 466-6442.

Note of caution: keep the temperature of the fermenting beer between 65 and 68 F and be extremely clean.

I usually do not advocate the use of kits for brewing, but the Magnotta products are of excellent quality.

I am rambling on. I wish I had more time to brew. I started teaching this year (change of career) and the first year is extremely time intensive - but loads of fun if you like kids. I will be brewing a couple of times over christmas. This feels like brewaholics anonymous :)

Daniel
Last edited by dhurtubise on Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Sounds like it was a successful summer Daniel, congrats. I didn't attempt any myself, way too lazy in the hot weather, but have come up with some interesting experiments this fall in the form of a spiced pumpkin ale and a cinnamon chocolate imperial stout - I just do extract + specialty grains for now. Those kits sound interesting. Maybe one day when I'm done playing mad creative forgetful scientist, I'll actually try and make a good solid traditional beer. Keep up the good homebrewing.

Anyone else with any secret homebrew confessions? I can't promise to offer penance, but I will listen :wink:

Jeff