Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Gluten Free Home Brewing

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dave

Gluten Free Home Brewing

Post by dave »

Hi,
I have recently purchased the basics for brewing beer at home.

I am attempting to brew gluten free beer (my wife has celiacs desease). Hence beer made with with buckwheat, rice and/or corn are the only ones she can drink.

I am looking for a home brew supply store in Toronto where I might find any or all of the following specalized beer brewing products:
-Rice Syrup
-Flaked Corn
-Flaked Rice
Gluten Free Yeast:
-DCL Saf T-58 dry ale yeast
-Lallemand's Danstar Windsor
-any other yeast known to be gluten free (not cultured in gluten-containing malt)

Can anyone help?[/list]

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Try Upper Canada Malting, they will carry it but probably in large quantities. I get a lot of stuff from Ein Stein brewing in Oakville.

www.paddockwood.com for a mail order option.

La Messagre is currently available in the liquor store but it is very pricey and generally regarded as not very good.

And just be aware ahead of time that whatever you make is probably not going to taste much like the beers you are used to.

Good luck!

dave

Post by dave »

We tried the Quebec beer and given it's price and flavour we figured it might be worth the effort to brew at home. We have even considered brewing Mead as well. Since it is "naturally" gluten free...

Cheers,
Dave