Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Home Brewing ingredients

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

brew guru

Home Brewing ingredients

Post by brew guru »

Hello, I am fairly new to homebrewing, and was wondering where any of you other homebrewers out there purchase your ingredients. I've tried a few local brew shops in the Durham area, and they only seem to stock the standard "beer kits" that come with the packet of yeast. All the books and internet recipes I've read say to avoid corn sugar (except for bottling time), and use malt extract in powder or liquid form. I've searched several places including bulk food stores, but can't find anyone who sells malt extract (except in really small amounts which are quite expensive). Liquid yeast is another item I can't seem to find. If any of you know of a place in the GTA or Durham region that sells these ingredients, please let me know. Thanks.

DrJay

Post by DrJay »

I buy a lot of basic homebrewing supplies at the Wine and Beer Factory in Brampton (wineandbeerfactory.com). He has dry malt extract, a good variety of specialty malts, and a decent cross-section of hops. I believe he stocks some Wyeast liquid yeast packets as well as dry yeast. And if you end up doing all-grain at some point, he gets in 25kg bags of pale malt too. His product has always been fresh and in good shape.

Hope that helps!

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

A little late but try the wine and beer place at 1001 burns street unit 5 in whitby, A Glass Act is the name.

brew guru

Post by brew guru »

John Aitken wrote:A little late but try the wine and beer place at 1001 burns street unit 5 in whitby, A Glass Act is the name.
that's the place where I buy my beer stuff, but their selection is very limited. They don't carry much other than the malt extract kits.

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

Very true, but I thought I saw the powdered malt extract in that store, maybe thats not what your looking for.

shaunpierre

Post by shaunpierre »

I have been everwhere and it seems nobody has what we're looking for. Malt extract is nine dollars at health food stores and comes in very small jars. The place in Brampton has a few items (malts, liquid yeasts) but is a pain for us who live downtown. It also has a new owner so there might be a shift in business practices.

I suggest compiling a list of things bar towel members want and order the products via the post to a location convinient for people living downtown.

Anyone?

shaunpierre

Post by shaunpierre »

Hey all.

I have found a place in Etobicoke that will sell you hops, grains, and Malt. It is a brew on premise called "The Brew Factory" 775 The Queensway (& Royal York) 416-255-1001. The owners name is Dave and he is a really nice guy.