Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hop Pellets

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

huronia

Hop Pellets

Post by huronia »

I am looking for some Wye Challenger hop pellets, and help in locating some would be appreciated... I have bewed on and off since 1957...my first brew was a can of Doric malt and bakers yeast, a somewhat volcanic brew and a tad yeasty. I still make some very drinkable beer, but always hoping for better.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Can I ask, since your experience with beer goes back to the 1950's, what your opinion is of the commercial beers available then?

Were some in your view equal to some microbrewed beers available today?

Were there any imports then in Ontario?

Not to pre-empt your question, but some people believe there were beers available then of quality (maybe some porters, maybe some IPAs); is this so or had most beer become uniformised and kind of dull even in the 1950's?

Thanks for any information you can give.

Gary

flip

Post by flip »

I'm not sure if you can get them locally, but you may want to check out Paddock Wood Brewing Supplies: www.paddockwood.com.

I'm getting started in brewing my own and ordered some supplies from them. I can't yet vouch for the quality of the product (the beer's not ready) but it was packaged well and was shipped quickly.

huronia

Post by huronia »

Thank you for the input re Paddock Wood, It is ironic that Paddock Wood Kent Uk ,smack in the miidle of hop country is where my brother still lives we were there last year, lovely coutryside............Re Porters.. I can assure you the the porters and micros of today put the 50s brews in the shade. If I remember the 50s Porter tasted like cold mollasses !!
Cheers..Huronia

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

Quality will be good as their output is very high (being the only full service mail order brew shop in Canada).

Shipping can be prohibitive with this provider depending on what you buy (malt).

I have some Challenger hop pellets at home. How much do you need?

huronia

Post by huronia »

Thank you for the offer of some challenger pellets, I have emailed you direct Huronia