Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

You know it's a bad sign when ...

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

I've been thinking recently that I might brew a barley wine in time for next next Christmas (How's that for thinking ahead?).

My wife oddly doesn't like the smell that permeates the house when I brew, so I thought it might be best to take the show on the road and do my thing at a BOP.

So I stop by the local BOP, in which you can make both beer and wine, and ask one of the staff if they have a recipe for barley wine. The guys gives me an odd look, and as he's puzzling over the question it dawns on me that he's thinking "I've never heard of a wine called barley wine."

I tell him what barley wine is, but I can still see he's still puzzled by the whole concept.

I politely take a flyer and beat a hasty retreat. The search continues ...

freesia

Post by freesia »

Hi Matt,
I've been doing some stuff at a BOP in central T.O., but seeing as (as I mentioned before) I'm moving to Mississauga, I was wondering what the BOPs were like out that way. I've noticed that there are two very close to my new place, right on Lakeshore Rd. Have you been to either of these and which one was it that you went to that puzzled over barley wine?

You can email me, as I have access to email more readily,
Kim
hamulus@hotmail.com

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Sorry Kim. I'd like to help you, but I can't. The BOP that I mentioned, which is up in Streetsville, was the first and only one I've ever poked my head in.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Try Ein Stein in Oakville. I have only bought ingredients there but they seemed competent.