Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Whats available right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

A
Bar Fly

Whats available right now?

Post by A »

What are the better (only?) homebrew supply stores in GTA right now? In particular I am looking for Amarillo hops and Caravienne Malt.

Alternatively, what would be the best closest (cheapest shipping) store on the internet?

Thanks!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i've never seen amarillo in the gta. well, except for the 5ish pounds i have in the freezer :)

same with the caravienne.

paddockwood is pretty good. decent stock, reasonable shipping rates, especially if you don't mind waiting for the slower options. unfortunately, they don't have any amarillo. no caravienne either, but they do have several other cara options. i use them if i don't have a trip to windsor planned and i need something quick.

i buy bulk grains from gilbertson and page (25kg/55# bags) and just about everything else in detroit at adventures in homebrewing. they will ship to you too, though i've never tried it.

morebeer will ship to canada, but based on our limited experience with them it's slow as hell.

how much 'rillo do you need? i might be able to hook you up with a few ounces. drop me a pm.

clasher

Post by clasher »

Though they haven't got either of the things you're looking for right now, http://www.canadianhomebrewing.ca/ might be worth bookmarking and checking out in the future. Next time I'm in Mississauga I'll make a point to stop in and check it out.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

clasher wrote:Though they haven't got either of the things you're looking for right now, http://www.canadianhomebrewing.ca/ might be worth bookmarking and checking out in the future. Next time I'm in Mississauga I'll make a point to stop in and check it out.
i got as far as the front page...500g of crisp maris otter for $2.95?!? i pay $35 for 25kg of the stuff (and they are likely doing the same or better). ouch.

their yeast selection, while limited, is more reasonable.

clasher

Post by clasher »

grub wrote:
clasher wrote:Though they haven't got either of the things you're looking for right now, http://www.canadianhomebrewing.ca/ might be worth bookmarking and checking out in the future. Next time I'm in Mississauga I'll make a point to stop in and check it out.
i got as far as the front page...500g of crisp maris otter for $2.95?!? i pay $35 for 25kg of the stuff (and they are likely doing the same or better). ouch.

their yeast selection, while limited, is more reasonable.
Yeah, I make the drive to Fergus for base malts, and really, it's worth the trip if it's less than 2 or 3 hours for anyone.

jcc

Post by jcc »

I have no idea if these guys ship to Canada, but came across Niagara Traditions Homebrew in Buffalo (http://www.nthomebrew.com). They seem to have the items that you are looking for. I have never used them so have no idea if they are a quality place to buy from.

jcc

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

jcc wrote:I have no idea if these guys ship to Canada, but came across Niagara Traditions Homebrew in Buffalo (http://www.nthomebrew.com). They seem to have the items that you are looking for.
i've heard that they are a great shop. however, it doesn't look like they ship to canada (i'd try calling their 800 number and asking before giving up completely though). i stuck something in the cart and tested checking out, only to receive this message:
Shipping Method
This is currently the only shipping method available to use on this order.

Region Based Rates
No shipping available to the selected location
and it won't go any further.

jcc

Post by jcc »

grub wrote:i've heard that they are a great shop. however, it doesn't look like they ship to canada (i'd try calling their 800 number and asking before giving up completely though). i stuck something in the cart and tested checking out, only to receive this message:
Shipping Method
This is currently the only shipping method available to use on this order.

Region Based Rates
No shipping available to the selected location
and it won't go any further.
That's too bad. From what I see it seems quite good. Nice to know that there is a well stocked shop within a reasonable drive of the GTA though.

jcc

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Thanks for the tip on the Buffalo place. If they wont ship its not too far to drive at least.

Last question - is there any place that sells Wheat malt extract locally? Seems like a common enough item but I'm not coming up with anything...

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

A wrote:Thanks for the tip on the Buffalo place. If they wont ship its not too far to drive at least.
as a bonus, it's literally around the corner from premeir :)
A wrote:Last question - is there any place that sells Wheat malt extract locally? Seems like a common enough item but I'm not coming up with anything...
not that i've seen.

jcc

Post by jcc »

A wrote:Last question - is there any place that sells Wheat malt extract locally? Seems like a common enough item but I'm not coming up with anything...
Seems to be listed at the Wine and Beer Factory in Brampton under the Cooper's Beer kits listing (last item at the bottom).

jcc

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Good catch! Thanks for the tip...

thekulman

Post by thekulman »

This is a cross post, but I hope you guys don't mind:

Hi guys, I run a web site out of Whitby www.homebrewersretail.com

Shipping to T.O. should be neglible. And I offer a 10 % discout to forum members. If you don't see it, drop me a line at info@homebrewersretail.com, I can likely get it. Also I'm working with White Labs to add liquid yeast and want to get some while the $ is so strong!

Brian
Manager/Owner
www.homebrewersretail.com
www.homebrewersretail.com - 2 row always $1.10/lb (Canada Malting)
We now carry Wyeast Activator packs, White Labs pitchable vials and 5 Star products.