Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Large stock pot

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jaymack

Large stock pot

Post by jaymack »

Hi,

I'm looking for a 7 gallon, or bigger, stock pot for doing full boils? Anyone have one to sell or know a good place to get one?

Thanks,
J

flip

Post by flip »

Your best bet would be any restaurant supply store.

I bought mine at Nikolau Restaurant Supply on Queen by Bathurst. I was also in European Hotel and Restaurant Imports and they have a good selection, and are less crowded than Nikolau. They're in South Etobicoke.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Do you have a good heat source? If you're using the stove-top, you'll probably have trouble getting that to boil.

I use two pots (I should probably say 'used', as I haven't brewed in over a year). I got a cheap stainless set from Liquidation World years ago. I think the two largest pots are 4 & 2.5 gallon. I do sort of a "texas 2-step". I get the first one on the stove as soon as it's full & continue sparging with the other. Then I cool them one at time.

I think my first all-grain day was about 12 hrs, but I got that down to under 5 (for a reasonable weight).

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Thanks for the tips.

I have 2, 4 gallon pots now, but want to do a full boil as I move into Partial, then all grain.

And yes, I wisely invested in a burner and tank. I got tired of the kids saying" Ewww, daddy's making beer again. Peeewww!"

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Hi Jaymack. I know nothing about making beer, but I do know a fair bit about cooking, so maybe I can help you. I used to live in Chinatown, and there's a big store on the West side of Spadina equidistant between College and Dundas, call Tap Phong. I guarantee you will find a huge stockpot there at a ridiculously low price. Its a crazy store - you can even get wooden spoons that are closer to baseball bats than the things you stir your soup with. There are also a few other kitchen supply stores that would probably carry it too.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

we use kegs with the top cut off for our boils. works like a charm!

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

More tips! You guys are great.

Viggo.. I read and see lots of guys using the keg set-up. I'm not there yet (soon... soon...)

Where did you get yours and how hard are they to aquire?

flip

Post by flip »

Derek wrote:Do you have a good heat source? If you're using the stove-top, you'll probably have trouble getting that to boil.
Great point, Derek... I should have mentioned that. The large stock pots boil great... as long as they're not on my stove. I use an Eastman Outdoor Big Kahuna burner for my boils.

thekulman

Post by thekulman »

Hi, I use a 34 quart enamelled pot I got from Home Hardward in Oshawa. $39

I use it for full wort boils and it works flawlessly.

If you want a Stainless Steel pot, the Pacific Mall as Kennedy and Steels has a store that sells 10 gallon ss pots for $80.

Brian
Manager/Owner
www.homebrewersretail.com

p.s. - I use a 80,000 BTU outdoor propane burner bought at Canadian Tire for $39
www.homebrewersretail.com - 2 row always $1.10/lb (Canada Malting)
We now carry Wyeast Activator packs, White Labs pitchable vials and 5 Star products.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Thanks for the extra tip, Brian

BTW - nice webpage. I may have to keep you in mind for future brewing