Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

new keg.. now what

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jaymack

new keg.. now what

Post by jaymack »

Hi

Got my hands on a 10 gallon keg I'm going to cut open and use as my brewpot. Couple of questions:

1) Best way to cut this sucker open?

2) I'm trying to remove the spear but it seems to be threaded, unlike others I've seen on the 'net. I can unscrew it to get it loose, but can't seem to take it out.

I'd feel better cutting the keg opent once the spear is removed. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Jay

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i wouldn't be too worried about removing the spear, as long as you can depressurize it. depending on the keg you can sometimes just push the center to release the pressure, or you might have to drill a vent hole. you may have even depressurized it when you loosened it.

as for cutting it open, there are many possible weapons available. i've done it using a dremel with fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels, but they are a touch pricey and you really need to work slowly so you don't just chew right through them. here's my blog writeup with pictures for this method.

i've also cut them using an angle grinder and stainless steel cutting wheels. cheaper and faster than the dremel method, but you'll spend a little more time cleaning it up afterwards since the cut is a little rougher.

other options that i haven't done personally: reciprocating saw, jigsaw, plasma cutter, torch, and i've even seen one loaded into a lathe and cut that way. if you know somebody at a welding shop, that's probably the fastest and cheapest method. only takes a few min to cut with a plasma cutter and they can often be convinced to do it for a little of your brew.

regardless of which method you choose, make sure you wear eye and ear protection. the grinder in particular is loud as hell. you can cut down on some of the noise by filling the keg about half way with water. as a bonus, it helps keep it still while you're working on it.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Great tips. Thanks

BrewerDave

Post by BrewerDave »

Sorry I know this is off topic in this thread but Jaymack and Grub where do you guys get your supplies from? This includes hops, grain and yeast for all grain brewing? Somewhere in Canada? I've had a hard time finding anywhere in Canada so I usually go to Niagara Traditions in Buffalo but the border can sometimes get pricey or odd about me bringing in grain etc.

Thanks guys.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

BrewerDave wrote:Sorry I know this is off topic in this thread but Jaymack and Grub where do you guys get your supplies from? This includes hops, grain and yeast for all grain brewing? Somewhere in Canada? I've had a hard time finding anywhere in Canada so I usually go to Niagara Traditions in Buffalo but the border can sometimes get pricey or odd about me bringing in grain etc.

Thanks guys.
i think i've posted all this with links in another thread, so check that too.

i buy bulk grain from gilbertson and page in fergus. buy most of my hops, yeast and other grain in detroit, some at NT in buffalo, and occasionally order from paddock or morebeer. if i'm desperate i'll pick up odds and ends at wine and beer factory in brampton, but the selection around the GTA is poor at best in my experience.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

I go to Brew Time in Hamilton.

They have a decent selection of grains, good yeast and most popular styles of hops. Decent prices too.

BrewerDave

Post by BrewerDave »

Thanks guys! I'll look in to all of the options both of you have given me. It's a shame that homebrewing doesn't seem to be nearly as big here as it is in the states. I guess BOP's are where it's at for Canada while from what I've heard they don't do well at all in the U.S. I guess Americans on a whole are just a little more DIY than us.

Thanks again.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

When I was in London I bought most of my stuff from:
http://www.brewhaven.on.ca/new.htm

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

BrewerDave wrote:Thanks guys! I'll look in to all of the options both of you have given me. It's a shame that homebrewing doesn't seem to be nearly as big here as it is in the states. I guess BOP's are where it's at for Canada while from what I've heard they don't do well at all in the U.S. I guess Americans on a whole are just a little more DIY than us.

Thanks again.
Maybe in Ontario, but down this way there's no BOP to speak of. Nova Scotia actually has laws against BOP (for both beer and wine), and New Brunswick allows it but none of the homebrew shops are interested in doing beer BOPs (just not profitable enough compared to wine). I believe the same is true on the Prairies.

Duffey

Post by Duffey »

I use a lightsaber to cut open my kegs.