Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

CO2 suppliers and cost?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

thekulman

CO2 suppliers and cost?

Post by thekulman »

Hi all;

Sugalou and myself just purchased kegging systems from www.kegconnection.com that come with an empty 5lb cylinder. I've got 3 questions as I step into kegging for the first time:
  • Who in the GTA (ideally Durham Region) will fill the tanks for us?
    How much does CO2 cost?
    How long should a 5lb tank last (in kegs dispensed i.e. 2 kegs ... 5 kegs?)
    Our kits come with 2 19L Pepsi kegs each.
I called BOC gases yesterday in Whitby and they quoted $35 to fill the 5 lb tank which I found outrageous. I thought it would be similar to the cost of propane ($12 for a 20lb tank which works to $3-4 for a 5 lb tank).

Brian
Homebrewers Retail
www.homebrewersretail.com
www.homebrewersretail.com - 2 row always $1.10/lb (Canada Malting)
We now carry Wyeast Activator packs, White Labs pitchable vials and 5 Star products.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

if you find someone doing fills for under $20, let me know. you're dreaming if you think you'll find them for under $5 :)

i got my 20# filled at camcarb over at steeles+weston for around $35 if i remember right. you can call them for rates.

there's also Norwood Fire Services in Etoboicoke. they were doing 5lb tanks for $15 last i heard.

thekulman

Post by thekulman »

Thanks Grub;

I guess the gas is more than I thought. How many kegs would I get out of 5lbs?
www.homebrewersretail.com - 2 row always $1.10/lb (Canada Malting)
We now carry Wyeast Activator packs, White Labs pitchable vials and 5 Star products.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

thekulman wrote:How many kegs would I get out of 5lbs?
sorry, i've never used a 5#, so i have no idea. i got my 20# used and partly full, so i can't even estimate based on it. perhaps someone else can chime in with the info you need.

DrJay

Post by DrJay »

It's been a while, but I remember getting at least 10 kegs out of a 5# tank, maybe 15. But I also used it for purging air from the headspace when kegging homebrew and various other things.

Definitely look for someplace nearby that does fire extinguisher fills. I was filling up in Windsor for about $15 at one of these places rather than paying >$30 at a welding shop or Praxair.

clasher

Post by clasher »

I pay 25$ at the local Air Liquide place (Tri County Welding in Kitchener) for a 20lb fill. They also do cylinder swaps but mine is a shiny aluminum one Idon't feel like trading for a some ugly steel one :)