Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bottling a Weizen

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jaymack

Bottling a Weizen

Post by jaymack »

So I just did my first All Grain weizen and things went prety darn well.

Looking down the road to bottling day, I've read various snippets that doign a little more than dextrose or DME makes the bottled weizen more true to style (like creating a speise (sp?)

Anyone hav experience with making Wheats and what have you used?

Cheers,
J

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

I made an all grain weizen and used the minimum amount of dextrose that ProMash recommended. I was worried because after 2 months I didn't see any carbonation in the bottle. It finally got a light carb after 3. I don't plan on naturally carb'ing this type again, but if I had too, I would go with the upper end of the scale for priming.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

I had nice a result with 7/8 cup of dextrose for 5 gallons. I think that Weizens are generally a little higher than average in carbonation. I'd try the 7/8, and if that's not enough, go up to a full cup for your next batch.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

The_Jester wrote:I had nice a result with 7/8 cup of dextrose for 5 gallons. I think that Weizens are generally a little higher than average in carbonation. I'd try the 7/8, and if that's not enough, go up to a full cup for your next batch.
Thanks I'll give that a shot. Can I assume you mean 7/8ths of a cup to 1 cup water?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

the amount of water is irrelevant, so long as it's low enough that it won't really muck with the overall gravity - and a cup or two is fine. all that really matters is the amount of fermentables being added.

in that regard, you're much better to do it by mass and not volume, since sugar (and especially DME) can compact down. the differing sugars/DMEs can also have different proportions of fermentables and should be taken into account. for example, i know some sugars are 100% fermentable, while DME can be as low as 50-60%. depending which you expect you'll have vastly differing results.

the volume and temperature of the beer your bottling also needs to be taken into account, since there is always some dissolved CO2.

differing carbonation levels for different styles.

now that you're suitably confused and unsure of how to proceed, i'll point you to the magic of the recipator carbonation calculator. i use it all the time and have been happy with the results.

if you were curious, i use plain old table sugar for carbonation. clean and neutral and 100% fermentable. add enough water to cover it and not boil away. boil gently for 15min, cool, and add to the beer. you can skip the cooling if your beer isn't in glass - i do that out of heat shock paranoia but dump it straight in without cooling for kegs/casks.