Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

latest brew-it-yourself commodity

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jaymack

latest brew-it-yourself commodity

Post by jaymack »

I was a little tempted to buy this at my HBS store last Friday.

I was picking up goodies to make an all-grain Amber when I saw it. The guy at the store insisted it was "pretty good".
Um.. define "pretty good"?

http://www.clickabrew.com/shopping/shop ... ottle+Brew

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

jaymack wrote:I was a little tempted to buy this at my HBS store last Friday.

I was picking up goodies to make an all-grain Amber when I saw it. The guy at the store insisted it was "pretty good".

They are surprisingly not as awful as you might expect. They're not all that good, mind you, but I've had much, much worse. (How's that for a ringing endorsement?)

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

jaymack wrote:I was a little tempted to buy this at my HBS store last Friday.

More overpriced garbage. It's aimed at attracting newbies, but I can't imagine anyone trying these and thinking anything positive about homebrewing.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

They've got these at my local wine & beer place as well. I was surprised to learn from the beer guy there that they're actually all-grain, and not extract based. He hadn't tried it yet, though.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

The_Jester wrote:I was surprised to learn from the beer guy there that they're actually all-grain, and not extract based.
I would doubt that. I was unknowingly served a sample of the Pilsner, and I thought it was the Red based on the colour and non-descript beer taste.

thekulman

Post by thekulman »

I'd steer clear. I've seen then in Whitby. The concept of serving your beer on what amounts to the primary fermentation dreggs reminds me of the beer machine I have 20 years back. I'm sure the trub has been filtered out of these, but you'd have beer on a yeast cake. Once the yeast begins to autolize (die) you'll get some funkified flavours!

Brian
Homebrewers Retail
www.homebrewersretail.com - 2 row always $1.10/lb (Canada Malting)
We now carry Wyeast Activator packs, White Labs pitchable vials and 5 Star products.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

My wife picked one up for me to try.

It certainly wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. I didn't quite know how to serve it without disturbing the sediment too much. I decanted the entire bottle and ended up with a few glasses of flat beer. The first two were OK but the rest weren't very good. The best way to have it would be with some friends and enjoy the whole bottle all at once. Hopefully you will still have some friends when you are done!!

I have seen them at the brew shop but the kit my wife bought was at the corner store. I would have bought lots of them back when I was in high school but I don't think I'll get another. I can only imagine the target market is youngsters who want some beer but aren't legal to buy their own. Maybe that is only because that is how I learned to brew. The old John Bull kits from A&P