Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

spruce

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

The_Jester
Bar Fly

spruce

Post by The_Jester »

I've got a lovely, healthy blue spruce tree and some leftover odds and ends of malt.
Anyone brewed with spruce before?
There's a recipe in Papazian, and I've seen one online that also has ginger, but I'm looking for more input. In particular, about how much to use in a 22.7 L batch.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I'll ask my friend who did a nice spruce beer. And if you have enough spruce I would definitely be interested in taking some off yours hands as I would like to try my hand a the style.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Great Lakes did a Spruce and Sage Winter Wit. Never got to try it, wish I had. As for actually brewing with it, no clue, but the brewmaster at Great Lakes might have some tips.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

viggo wrote:I'll ask my friend who did a nice spruce beer. And if you have enough spruce I would definitely be interested in taking some off yours hands as I would like to try my hand a the style.
I'm happy to share.

But it really should be everywhere. Right now every blue spruce tree (think short-needled Christmas tree) is going to have soft bluish tips, a couple of inches long, at the end of every branch. Older growth is firm and green, so it will be easy to tell. The new growth will firm up and darken over the summer, so now is the time to get it.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman