Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Craft Brewer Challenge

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

a blind tasting between derek's ipa and dipa and trafalgar nouveau

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Some more east coast inspiration:

http://hartandthistle.blogspot.com/2009 ... teers.html
http://hartandthistle.blogspot.com/2009 ... ccess.html
http://hartandthistle.blogspot.com/2009 ... rvest.html

(Greg Nash previously brewed at Garrison & formulated their Imperial Pale)

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I think there is a total absence of rye beers in this market and I just love working with and drinking beer made with this spicy dry grain.

I have been piddling around with a rye Vienna for a couple of months and the basic formulation looks something like this;

2.5 lbs. 2 row pale pilsner malt
3 lbs. Vienna red malt
2 lbs. rye malt
.5 lb flaked rye
1 lb. 20L crystal malt
2 oz. Tettnanger hops
2 oz Spalt, hops
White Labs WLP830 German Lager Yeast

Even a rye ale would be welcome
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

pootz wrote:I think there is a total absence of rye beers in this market and I just love working with and drinking beer made with this spicy dry grain.
Well, it's a couple of months away, but Mill Street is making a Roggenbier to be available at the brewpub in the Oct/Nov timeframe.

Before that will be the return of their Oktoberfest, and for the first time from them, a Pumpkin Ale called "Nightmare on Mill Street". :wink:

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Church Key did a one off rye and year or two ago and it was quite well done. Agreed though that we need more (any)!

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Nightmare on Mill Street is a kickass name! Its about that time of year for me to do a pumpkin ale. Pumpkin rye saison?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

viggo wrote:Nightmare on Mill Street is a kickass name! Its about that time of year for me to do a pumpkin ale. Pumpkin rye saison?
With lime of course.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I love rye and american hops. He'Brew Lennys RIPA and Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye are 2 great commercial examples. Both are quite malty (I consider the Lennys more of a Barleywine), which I think works well with the rye. I brewed Denny Conn's Rye IPA 2 years ago, and it is very good as well: http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/76127

I'll probably do a rye barleywine at some point, but I have no immediate plans to use rye.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

There's been a lot positive change since the start of this thread... Great Lakes Cask nights, Duggan's opening, Volo's nanobrewery, Grand River's pilot system, Denison's in a can, Flying Monkey's new creations, Toronto Beer Week, Granite & Amsterdam brewing winning homebrew recipes... and I'm probably missing more!

We've seen a few fresh hop ales (btw, the Trafalgar beat mine in a blind tasting), but not much rye.

What else would you like to see?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:What else would you like to see?
A huge windfall of cash so I can open my own brewery.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Best of luck! Seriously, I'd love to see you open one. Is it possible to have an alternating proprietorship in Canada? A la Heretic Brewing:
http://www.byo.com/blogs/the-opportunit ... ger/Jamil/

Oh yeah, Cass did bring in the Hop Yard, and I should also mention Beau's hooking up with CABA... great stuff!

We're starting to see some more diversity in styles, but I'd like to see even more... both here in BC and in Ontario.

JimC

Post by JimC »

I'd like to see an easier to use distribution system so I can get my hands on more of these great beers!