Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

brew your own on mcaul street

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

charlesf

Post by charlesf »

hi, I am wondering if anyubody knows where I can contact the former owner of brew your own on mcaul street

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

You mean the former owner of the FORMER brew-your-own on McCaul, right? I went by there the other day and it looks like they've gone mams-up.

tipsy mcstagger

Post by tipsy mcstagger »

D'oh! That would be a shame. They got me on the road to wholesome homebrewing...let's hope this is not a permanent thing...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Actually, they were evicted for non-payment of rent. Went by a month or so ago and saw the notice on the door.

It's a real shame - all of my homebrews over the years were using ingredients I got from BYO.

tipsy mcstagger

Question is: where does one find quality products to create quality beer? Other than Wine Art and perhaps one other shop to get basic beer kits, grains and specialty liquid yeasts are to be found where? I feel lost here...any new joints in town?

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Tipsy,

Hopefully the Soda Centre is still going. It is just off the north side of Kingston Road opposite the Guildwood GO station in Scarborough.

Look for the sign that says "Beer -- 15¢/bottle!", or some such thing. It is on the east side of a strip plaza. If you are approaching from the west, it is not visible until you are nearly past it. But it's there. I believe you take the first left after crossing over the bridge over the tracks.

The Soda Centre is a combination homebrew centre and BOP. The people are nice in there but very sales oriented. You go in for a can of extract, and they try to sell you a home draft system. Also, grill them about the quality and age of their hops.

Good Luck and Happy Brewing.

-Uncle Bobby
"It's magic...!"

tipsy mcstagger

Thanks UB - I'll look out for that place when I'm in the hood (I'm kinda scared about the hops thing though...do they carry both fresh and pellets? I imagine it's the fresh stuff that I should take them to task?)

Cheers

charlesf

Post by charlesf »

fermentations on pape ave sells lots of homebrew stuff, try them. they are at 824 pape ave.

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

Guys (and) girls....

Barry is still the best source for your brewing needs anywhere in Southern Ontario. Brew Your Own might have closed but you can still get all of your brewing needs through Barry. Plus his brewing knowledge and expertise is invaluable. Call him at home at 416-466-6442 or email him at brewyourown2000@yahoo.ca. He will be more than happy to keep you well stocked with whatever it is you need. I still only go to him for my things.