Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Just bottled the IPA today - 18 bottles (the muskoka 750ml) I actually thought the yield would be less, but it was pretty good...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Derek wrote: After one week, the doppel is at 55%AA with a SG=1.036.
Newbie lagering question...

It's been years since I lagered (old basement was in the low 50's), and I finally got a temperature controller for my beer fridge.

The Marzen was no problem (SG=1.057; Fg=1.013), single decoction, 130F mash-in, 149F sugar rest, Saflager W-34/70 (I've never used it), 51F fermentation temp.

I pitched that cake onto the doppel (single decoction, 130F & 152F rests, SG=1.083)... and it appears to have stalled (14.5 Brix for the last 4 days). Two days ago I roused the yeast and added 1/2 tsp of wyeast nutrient... still nothing. There's lots of yeast, but it appears to have given up after the simple sugars.

Move it to the cellar at 63F?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote: Move it to the cellar at 63F?
That is what I would do, as well as pitch some US-05.

If I recall, you don't use pure oxygen, correct?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

markaberrant wrote:
Derek wrote: Move it to the cellar at 63F?
That is what I would do, as well as pitch some US-05.

If I recall, you don't use pure oxygen, correct?
That's correct... lack of aeration may have finally caught up with me. I always just do a modest gravity brew (essentially a 5 Ga starter), then brew the bigger brew a week later. This time I waited 2 weeks for the lager yeast.

I have read that lagers can occasionally stall (for a few days or even weeks), then pick back up again. So it could happen.

In retrospect, I probably should've used straight up nitrogen (Di-Ammonium Phosphate) rather than the wyeast nutrient. Apparently after 50% AA it can produce some off flavours.

I'll give it a couple days in the cellar to see if it moves... if not, I was thinking about the US05 backup as well. Maybe do a light bitter to step it up and pitch it when it's really active.

I've never tried champagne yeast... not sure if that's a good option?

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

I brewed a hoppy pale ale Sunday, it was a rough day.

Broke my hydrometer
Got sprayed in the face with beer purging co2 from a keg
Dumped a jar of yeast on my workbench
Couldn't keep a boil going because of the cold wind
Turns out the cold wasn't the problem, it was an empty propane tank
Melted a siphon transfering to a smaller pot to boil on the stove
Modified my wort chiller to fit in the small pot, and it still didn't fit
Dumped 10gal of soapy water on myself and the floor cleaning up

Think that was all.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote: I've never tried champagne yeast... not sure if that's a good option?
The only reason to use champagne yeast is if the original yeast exceeded its alcohol tolerance. Otherwise, if you think your yeast just crapped out due to poor health, repitch a healthy, active ale strain (ie; US-05) in large amounts.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Made a Pannepot clone.
will be ready in (gasp!) 6 months.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

After another 2 days, I was seeing some bubbles in the doppel and felt hopeful... but the gravity is still the same.

My cellar is actually only 59F right now, but I'm not sure I should make it any warmer and risk some off flavours. The yeast is somewhat active, it's cleaning up by-products (not nearly as fruity), but it's just not attenuating.

Guess I'll be brewing a quick bitter soon. I could do a dunkel with some other lager yeast on hand, but I think the US-05 would have a better chance of mowing down on the big sugars.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Tonight, brewing a saison with some Grains of Paradise, candied ginger and turbinado sugar. And christening my new cooler mash tun.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

I brewed with Peter Collins yesterday, a nice Imperial Stout. OG of 1.125, smelled like sugar pie going into the boil kettle.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Tonight ill be brewing up this recipe.

85% Canadian 2 Row
15% Munich Malt

FWH 1oz Cascade
.5 oz American Sazz 20min
.5 oz American Sazz 15min
.5 oz American Sazz 10min
.5 oz American Sazz 5 min
1 Oz American Sazz 0min

OG 1.055
US-05 American Ale Yeast

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

for brew #2 this week:

Funky Dunky (a dunkelweizen that will have a 2dary fermentation w/brett brux).

Not sure how long I'll let the Brett sit for (thinking 3 weeks, but wondering if I should keep it closer to 1 week)

*edit* on second thought, i'll likely push my Brett to a few months, depending on what my gravity's like when i pitch it. i want the Brett to blossom but i don't want to kill the dunkelness of the beer.
Last edited by atomeyes on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Basement is at a great temp for lagers right now, so on the cake from my Bo Pils goes my first attempt at a Schwarzbier.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

So I brewed a California ESB (Extra Special Blond). ;D

9# Gambrinus ESB
1 oz Citra - 60 min
2 oz Citra - dry

US-05 (Chico) yeast.

As it was Kraussening, I skimmed it and added it to my dying doppel. After 6 days I racked it to secondary, then racked the doppel onto the US-05 cake that was still active.

Now 5 days later, the doppel is at 1.032. It doesn't taste as bad as you'd think. I'll probably give it a few more days. :(

I'm thinking the mash just didn't have enough beta amylase. Perhaps due to a combination of the grist and the decoction?

10 lbs Gambrinus Dark Munich
6 lbs Bohemian Pilsner Malt; Weyermann
2 lbs Gambrinus Honey Malt
1 lbs Weyermann CaraMunich® I
0.5 lbs Weyermann Melanoidin
.375 lbs Chocolate Malt

Maybe I'll bottle this 1880ish version of liquid bread, or perhaps throw it on some Brett and oak to see what happens. It has a lot of dark fruit & wine-like character, so it could work.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Did you post that Doppel recipe earlier? It is definitely the Dark Munich, that stuff is like 30L and is only recommended up to 30% usage. 15% crystal malt is a little heavy handed too, then throw in a decoction, and no wonder it won't ferment any further.