Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

JesseMcG wrote:
Your posts grow increasingly useless.
1. this is an open website. people opine. if you want to know from the brewer, either specify in your post or send him a private message.
2. what's more useless? my post or your blog in your sig, which was last updates 2.5 years ago

if you can't post in a civil manner, then kindly avoid posting.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

atomeyes wrote:
JesseMcG wrote:
Your posts grow increasingly useless.
1. this is an open website. people opine. if you want to know from the brewer, either specify in your post or send him a private message.
2. what's more useless? my post or your blog in your sig, which was last updates 2.5 years ago

if you can't post in a civil manner, then kindly avoid posting.
You've proven my point. Thank you.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

atomeyes wrote:60 min hop additions are overrated (depending on your style).
I am a very styling guy! Does this make 60 min hop additions overated?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

markaberrant wrote:
atomeyes wrote:60 min hop additions are overrated (depending on your style).
I am a very styling guy! Does this make 60 min hop additions overated?
you wear red velour jumpsuits when you brew. NOTHING you ever do is overrated

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

JesseMcG wrote:
J343MY wrote:
JesseMcG wrote: This sounds interesting... no 60 min hop addition?

Also - what temp will you ferment this at, and why?
I do a fairly long hop stand after boiling, so I'll get enough IBUs from that. I don't want a whole lot of bitterness in this beer anyway.

Fermenting at about 70F, because my basement is low to mid 60's.
Cool, thanks.

This recipe sounds great, I think I'm going to try it as well.

I don't do a hop stand so do you think I should add a small bittering addition?
If you are chilling immediately after flameout, I might do an extra Oz, at about 20 mins left in the boil.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

anyone brewing anymore?
anyone?....

this is brett month for me.

all-brett blonde (crooked stave 001 strain) and a brett saison were brewed 10 days ago.

brewing a brett brux trois blonde on tuesday and pitching half of it with lactob

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Imperial Stout:

4 gallons

6 lbs LDME
2 lbs 2 row
1 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb crystal 120L

1.5 oz Chinook @ 60min
1 oz Chinook @ FO

huge cake of US-05

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

curious what some people here may say.

bought some White labs lacto vials. expiries were not hot, so i got a good deal. pitched 3 into 500 mL of starter. 1 vial was likely a dud. 2 were good. didn't aerate, let it sit in a semi-warm area.

read up how White Labs' lacto isn't tart at all. so i decided to put a handful of grains into the starter, wrap a heat coil around the starter, wrap tin foil around the jar and let it ride.

it definitely has a tart smell to it (not interested in tasting it yet, and i also doubled the volume). wondering how aggresively the "wild" lacto from the grains will multiply in presence of the already-pitched lacto. any growth? suppressed growth?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

atomeyes wrote:wondering how aggresively the "wild" lacto from the grains will multiply in presence of the already-pitched lacto. any growth? suppressed growth?
Not sure, but sounds like you will have a healthy pitch regardless.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

markaberrant wrote:
atomeyes wrote:wondering how aggresively the "wild" lacto from the grains will multiply in presence of the already-pitched lacto. any growth? suppressed growth?
Not sure, but sounds like you will have a healthy pitch regardless.
then another question:
doing a lacto and brett beer. no sacch.
would you hit lacto solo for 3 days and then pitch brett? i want the brett to tear through it.
or would you pitch simultaneously?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

atomeyes wrote:then another question:
would you hit lacto solo for 3 days and then pitch brett? i want the brett to tear through it.
I would pitch simultaneously, that's just the way I am. By the way, had a Crooked Stave Pure Guava Petite Sour last Friday. Definitely the most light, refreshing and drinkable sour beer I've ever come across.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

markaberrant wrote:
atomeyes wrote:then another question:
I would pitch simultaneously, that's just the way I am. By the way, had a Crooked Stave Pure Guava Petite Sour last Friday. Definitely the most light, refreshing and drinkable sour beer I've ever come across.
i keep on flip flopping between a simultaneous pitch and pitching lacto for 1-3 days and then brett. i don't want the brett to act as a secondary yeast. leaning toward simultaneous

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Just brewed:

The Nightman in the Rye
Black double rye IPA

and a little update on the Nelson Sauvin hopped saison. The bitterness is spot on with the 2oz flamout addition. It finished nice and dry at 1.005, and its pretty tasty too.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Brewed today with my four year old daughter (she'll tell you a whole lot about how to brew beer...), a Founder's Red's Rye type of ale, with a Toronto-centric label...

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

ritzkiss wrote:Brewed today with my four year old daughter (she'll tell you a whole lot about how to brew beer...), a Founder's Red's Rye type of ale, with a Toronto-centric label...

cool label. What program did you use?

10 day fermentation? Are you going to transfer to secondary and dry-hop in that time?