Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

J343MY wrote:
atomeyes wrote: and it integrates really, really well. it is a natural fit. the brett yeast is pretty clean tasting so, depending on your hop additions, you'll have a pretty crisp blonde.

which company's yeast did you use? white or wyeast?
It will be fairly hoppy, 4 oz of citra at flameout, and 4 oz dry hop. The yeast I used was WLP644.
for fun, try getting your hands on some Wyeast brett claus. apparently, its characteristics are quite different than White labs' brett.

this summer, i'll probably split 6 gallons into 1 fermentation with wyeast and 1 with White

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote: for fun, try getting your hands on some Wyeast brett claus. apparently, its characteristics are quite different than White labs' brett.

this summer, i'll probably split 6 gallons into 1 fermentation with wyeast and 1 with White
Yeah, I'll definitely do something with brett c sometime soon.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

J343MY wrote:
atomeyes wrote: for fun, try getting your hands on some Wyeast brett claus. apparently, its characteristics are quite different than White labs' brett.

Yeah, I'll definitely do something with brett c sometime soon.
totally misread. thought it was with brett c.

citra and brux? interesting. let us know how it pairs up.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

J343MY wrote: It will be fairly hoppy, 4 oz of citra at flameout, and 4 oz dry hop. The yeast I used was WLP644.
That seems like an absolute shitload of late addition citra, they have twice as much oil content as most hops. I've been really happy using citra this year when combined with 1-3 other varieties, and never more than 1oz at flameout, and 1oz dry hop. When I previously used them in the amounts you listed, I got something in between lemon pledge and catpee.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

markaberrant wrote:That seems like an absolute shitload of late addition citra, they have twice as much oil content as most hops. I've been really happy using citra this year when combined with 1-3 other varieties, and never more than 1oz at flameout, and 1oz dry hop. When I previously used them in the amounts you listed, I got something in between lemon pledge and catpee.
I guess we will see. I have done an APA with that much citra before and to me it tasted like peach juice. This is my first time using the 2012 crop though so who knows.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

markaberrant wrote:
J343MY wrote: It will be fairly hoppy, 4 oz of citra at flameout, and 4 oz dry hop. The yeast I used was WLP644.
That seems like an absolute shitload of late addition citra, they have twice as much oil content as most hops. I've been really happy using citra this year when combined with 1-3 other varieties, and never more than 1oz at flameout, and 1oz dry hop. When I previously used them in the amounts you listed, I got something in between lemon pledge and catpee.
did that once with sorachi ace. it was the last time i did that with sorachi ace. it was a saison. forgot about the beer and, after a year, it has mellowed out decently.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

atomeyes wrote:did that once with sorachi ace. it was the last time i did that with sorachi ace. it was a saison. forgot about the beer and, after a year, it has mellowed out decently.
Oh yeah, it will eventually fade and be delicious. I do this intentionally with my American Barleywine, use a ridiculous amount of late Columbus, pretty much undrinkable fresh, but it drinks like a champ over the long haul.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

On sunday I brewed 10 gallons of centennial IPA with 2-row, C80 and carapils. I added centennial at 60, 30, 10, 5 & 1 minutes. OG was 1.059, IBU should be around 60 for a BU:GU of 1.0.

Anyway, I pitched Lallemand's BRY-97 'West Coast' dry yeast at 62F. I've got the ferm chamber set to hold at 65F. As i have read elsewhere, this yeast typically has a long lag time. I didn't see visible activity until appx. 36 hours, and it was going strong by 48 hours. So if you use this yeast, don't be shocked if it is slow to start. All's well that ends well, so I will see how this tastes in a few weeks time..
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

pilsner in the fridge fermenting. quad and barleywine on deck for saturday, being brewed with a friend and his fiancee for their wedding in the fall. the quad will see some time on ontario cherries and perhaps some oak.

we also finally blended and bottled our gueuze a few weeks ago. it's fun starting projects that take 4-5 years to complete...

new brewing setup being built and a whole bunch of gear ordered. gonna be a fun summer!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Starting off on a one-hop series this Friday. Leading off with Galaxy, Nelson is next.

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Black IPA in a week or so. Using Amarillo and Centennial @ 20, 10 5, and flameout. I am going with Horizon ( 11% AA ) @ the 60 min. mark to kick it off.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

this weekend or next im brewing an english mild

malts:
marris otter
pale chocolate
rye malt
home toasted oat

hops:
EKG

yeast:
safale s-04

target OG: 1.032

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Since we're all chiming in..

I have a single-hop Galaxy Double Rye that is almost ready to drink. Didn't use darker malts like most Rye beers do. Pale malt, tons of flaked rye, and some sugar. 13oz of Galaxy throughout (for better or for worse).

This past Sat I did an American Wheat with Citra/Amarillo/Simcoe.

This weekend I'm planning on a Porter inspired by MBC's King Titus, assuming I get that tracking number from OBK soon.. otherwise I'll just make something random with what I have.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Going to try my hand brewing Bertus's Black IPA. Excited for the 10.5 oz of hops I'm going to use...

" OG:1.074
FG:1.015
ABV: 7.7%
IBU: ~70
6 gallons

12lbs 2-row
2lbs 10oz Rye
14oz Crystal 60
14oz Carafa Special III
Mash @ 151*
1.5oz Warrior (17% AA) @ 90
2oz Amarillo/Citra @ 15
3oz Amarillo/Citra @ 0
Dry Hop - 4oz Amarillo/Citra
Safale US-05 - Fermented at 62*F"

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/04/bl ... t-ipa.html

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Did a Belgian Pale Ale last weekend, with simcoe and citra at flameout.

Did a batch of Denny's RIPA about 3 weeks ago, and is ready to drink.

Doing a Tripel and Quad next, then done until the fall.