Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:brewing a Grinchmas holiday porter.
never really use loose spices when i brew, so i'm iffy on the quantities to add.
looking at 1 g of nutmeg, 5 g on cinnamon and maybe 5 g of ginger (to a 5 gallon brew) at 1 min.
Those spice amounts are probably pretty good to start. You won't have to worry about over spicing, and you can always make a tincture with any of them you feel are lacking and add it before bottling.

Also what about vanilla? one vanilla bean would probably round everything out nicely.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

J343MY wrote:
atomeyes wrote:brewing a Grinchmas holiday porter.
never really use loose spices when i brew, so i'm iffy on the quantities to add.
looking at 1 g of nutmeg, 5 g on cinnamon and maybe 5 g of ginger (to a 5 gallon brew) at 1 min.
Those spice amounts are probably pretty good to start. You won't have to worry about over spicing, and you can always make a tincture with any of them you feel are lacking and add it before bottling.

Also what about vanilla? one vanilla bean would probably round everything out nicely.
yeah, thinking about vanilla after fermentation. will taste it first. trying to keep it like gingerbread, so vanilla doesn't make that much sense from that point of view.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

just finished brewing an all galaxy hopped, brett fermented wheat beer.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I just set out to do a Cascadian Dark and maybe a stout, only to discover I forgot to order 2-row when I got the rest of my grain bill. :oops:

Next weekend, I guess.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

brewed yesterday.
big mistake.
too cold to get a proper boil going.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

squeaky wrote:I just set out to do a Cascadian Dark and maybe a stout, only to discover I forgot to order 2-row when I got the rest of my grain bill. :oops:

Next weekend, I guess.
Got my 2-row. Brew's on for tomorrow.

A friend of mine got me a strain of Brett from the lab he works in. I'm thinking of using it for a gallon or two of the BIPA just out of sheer curiosity. Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to go about it? I was thinking of adding it to the secondary, but I'm open to ideas. This will be my first time playing with Brett.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

squeaky wrote:
squeaky wrote:I just set out to do a Cascadian Dark and maybe a stout, only to discover I forgot to order 2-row when I got the rest of my grain bill. :oops:

Next weekend, I guess.
Got my 2-row. Brew's on for tomorrow.

A friend of mine got me a strain of Brett from the lab he works in. I'm thinking of using it for a gallon or two of the BIPA just out of sheer curiosity. Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to go about it? I was thinking of adding it to the secondary, but I'm open to ideas. This will be my first time playing with Brett.
Do you know what strain it is? Without knowing much about it, adding it to secondary or pitching it along with sacch would be your safest bet.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It was a wild isolate, so they don't really know what the strain is.

It might be a moot point. It doesn't seem to be coming back to life, I might have killed it.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I don't think I like Nugget hops in the mid boil or with dark malts, so I'm using up some of my homegrown Nugget in sort of a West Coast ESB.

Golden Nugget

5 lbs Pils
5 lbs Vienna
2oz Nugget@60min
2oz Nugget@15min
2oz Nugget@10min
1.5oz Nugget@5min
1.5oz Nugget@0min
US-05
12 Brix; FG=1.008; abv~5.3%

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Beaus Lugtread Clone. My first attempt.

95.7% Pils malt
4.3% Toasted Wheat Flakes
Perle @ 60 min. ( 10.20 AA )
Hersbrucker @ 15 min. ( 2 AA )
WLP 029 Kolsch yeast

O.G. - 1.050
BU - 23
SRM - 3.2
Efficiency - 88%
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Just finished brewing an APA with lots of Amarillo and Chinook, and Conan yeast harvested from Heady Topper cans.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

it's going to be warm this weekend. my friend's having a hawaiian party in Feb. thinking of brewing a 8% amber with pineapple, ginger and toasted coconut. kind of like Spearhead, but actually good.

also looking at brewing a brett brux blonde next. and a lambic, when i have the courage.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:it's going to be warm this weekend. my friend's having a hawaiian party in Feb. thinking of brewing a 8% amber with pineapple, ginger and toasted coconut. kind of like Spearhead, but actually good.

also looking at brewing a brett brux blonde next. and a lambic, when i have the courage.
how are you thinking of doing the pineapple? just juice during/post fermentation? Also do you think you will be able to get enough pineapple flavour into the beer without making it too acidic?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

J343MY wrote:
atomeyes wrote:it's going to be warm this weekend. my friend's having a hawaiian party in Feb. thinking of brewing a 8% amber with pineapple, ginger and toasted coconut. kind of like Spearhead, but actually good.

how are you thinking of doing the pineapple? just juice during/post fermentation? Also do you think you will be able to get enough pineapple flavour into the beer without making it too acidic?
either a 30 min addition to the boil or i'll reduce it in a saucepan first and add it to boil.
i know what you're saying about the acidity. not panicky.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Just finished brewing a Hill Farmstead Mimosa inspired beer.