Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:Saturday: brewing a TenFidy-inspired clone. OG is around 1.11. FG is around 1.030. big beer.
bought an oxygen stone. figured it was about time. especially with this beer. tired of rocking glass carboys.

also ordered some of the Yeast Bay's yeast, including the Vermont strain (i.e. Heady Topper). would make a nice summer IPA.
What other yeast bay stuff did you order? I ordered the Wallonian Farmhouse, and the Lochristi Brettanoymces Blend.

I've heard some mixed reviews of their strain of Conan though, about it not attenuating enough.

I'm brewing a double IPA this weekend with Conan I harvested from a couple heady cans. The first beer I did with it got 83% apparent attenuation, but the jury is still out on whether or not I like it all that much.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Where'd you get your stone? I've been thinking about picking one of them up too.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

J343MY wrote:
atomeyes wrote:Saturday: brewing a TenFidy-inspired clone. OG is around 1.11. FG is around 1.030. big beer.
bought an oxygen stone. figured it was about time. especially with this beer. tired of rocking glass carboys.

also ordered some of the Yeast Bay's yeast, including the Vermont strain (i.e. Heady Topper). would make a nice summer IPA.
What other yeast bay stuff did you order? I ordered the Wallonian Farmhouse, and the Lochristi Brettanoymces Blend.

I've heard some mixed reviews of their strain of Conan though, about it not attenuating enough.

I'm brewing a double IPA this weekend with Conan I harvested from a couple heady cans. The first beer I did with it got 83% apparent attenuation, but the jury is still out on whether or not I like it all that much.
What temp did you ferment the conan at? I hear you gotta ferment it really cold to get the peachy character out of it. Like 60*F cold...

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

squeaky wrote:Where'd you get your stone? I've been thinking about picking one of them up too.
torontobrewing.ca
zero patience to shop around. i was already there so i just bought it. bought the oxygen tank at Canadian Tire ($11).

in my stupid opinion, there are certain steps home brewers should take to get a refined final product. the oxygen stone was my next logical one, esp if i want to brew some high octane beer.

-oxygen stone
-damn good thermometer (Thermapen)
-good brewing software that's properly set up
-good mill
-stirplate

i mean, most of these are common sense, but i see dudes prioritizing their money on equipment that's more sexy than beneficial.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

ercousin wrote:
J343MY wrote:

What temp did you ferment the conan at? I hear you gotta ferment it really cold to get the peachy character out of it. Like 60*F cold...
Vermont and 1 of the funk ones. the brett blend didn't interest me. i have too many brett strains at home to still play with.

Conan - used it for an IPA a year ago. did most at lager temp, some at ale temp. lager temp took forever for the lager to clean up.think it was 3 weeks. long term results were really nice. the ale ones didn't do too well.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

ercousin wrote:What temp did you ferment the conan at? I hear you gotta ferment it really cold to get the peachy character out of it. Like 60*F cold...
It got up to 68F at the peak of fermentation. The beer ended up with a subtle spicy phenol that I could have done without. I'll try to keep the double IPA i do this weekend in the low 60s and see what happens. unless it blows me away, it will probably be the last time I use Conan.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

see, was never sure if Cry Havoc and Conan were the same.
http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/th ... Cry/Detail

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

just finished brewing a double IPA with Simcoe, Centennial, Columbus and Apollo.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

dudes. it actually is nice out now!
brewing my TenFidy clone tomorrow.
brewing a belgian funky blonde on tuesday with a friend. using the Funktown blend

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:dudes. it actually is nice out now!
brewing my TenFidy clone tomorrow.
brewing a belgian funky blonde on tuesday with a friend. using the Funktown blend
How did the TenFidy clone go today?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

J343MY wrote:How did the TenFidy clone go today?
And what is the recipe?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

markaberrant wrote:
J343MY wrote:How did the TenFidy clone go today?
And what is the recipe?
good, and really horribly.

wife had the laptop, so she sent me the BeerSmith text file.
3 hr boil, looked amazing.
and then, at 90 min, i topped it up with the 1.25 gallons of water for that additional hr of boil.
my back was fucking KILLING me from lugging my keggle around from sparge (indoors) to boil (outdoors) then racking (indoors). plus i helped my neighbour put up some artwork in her house and it made for awkward usage of my back.

in the end, i exhaustedly checked the gravity. 1.080. wutthe?....

and then i go to Beersmith and i see that the boil time was set for 180 min. i had changed it to 120 min boil so that the water calculations wouldn't include sparging for that extra 60 min (wanted to avoid tannins from sparge extraction). so yeah. that info isn't apparent on BeerSmith's txt file. i mean, it is there, but it isn't how it is on the Design page. so didn't see the discrepancy, and had an extra gallon or so added to my boil.

so...it will be around a 6.5-7% stout instead of a massive pantload. and the mouthfeel will be off.

but...it looked beautiful in the mash tun. tasted great. really tough beer to mash in. the boil produced so much hot break...the foam was insane. looked like a lovely shot of espresso prior to boil. very handsome beer. insanely slow sparge. was debating about rice hulls and yes, i would use them the next time. sparge was a wee bit slower than i'd like, but not stuck or a problem.

but otherwise? :)

my recipe that i came up with (i changed the boil time):

Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 61.0 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.5 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.5 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.3 %
1 lbs Oak smoked wheat malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 6 4.9 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.4 %
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.30 %] - Boil 90. Hop 8 72.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.30 %] - Boil 20. Hop 9 13.6 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.30 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 11 4.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 12 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 13 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 20 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 26.82 qt of water at 78.8 C 68.9 C 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 3.57 gal water at 75.6 C
Notes:
------
boil time is 3 hrs. added 1.25 gallons of water prior to boil to top up to prevent astringent mash

odds are that my recipe's way more complex than what OskarBlues does. but i swear that i get some raisin on the palate when i drink TenFidy, so i thought that some special B needed to be in there.
Last edited by atomeyes on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

no brewing for me quite yet, but did some brew gear work on saturday. built a hopback for the Swansea guys, and fitted my kettles with thermometers and sightglasses. Only problem is one of the welds broke, so I need to get that fixed next weekend and we'll be open for business. Few other minor things still to do (reassembling the new mill, marking the sightglasses), but pumped for a new brewing season!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

today, back on the horse.
a chef wanted to learn about homebrewing, so he's coming over.
making a Blonde ale with Yeast Bay's Funktown Ale mix. should be neat.
using almost 1.5 lbs of rye. i have a love-hate relationship with rye. so fucking gummy in the mash tun.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

atomeyes wrote:using almost 1.5 lbs of rye. i have a love-hate relationship with rye. so fucking gummy in the mash tun.
rice hulls and step mashes are your friend. i'm picking up a bag of rye on saturday with plans of a ryewine this summer.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/