Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Derek wrote:I'm pretty sure there was spalt in there... not sure what else (if anything).

Supposedly 75 IBU... so that German Barley Ale is boardering on a Barley Wine! It has only been brewed for the American market for a few years... and I doubt there were any Adam Biers like it... but I really dug it!
You should definitely do a side-by-side when its done. Let me know if you need help with that!

JimC

Post by JimC »

Thank you.

Coffee porter is smooth, and is becoming quite nice as it carobs up. Pale gruit turned out to be a Juniper/Heather ale. Did an IPA a couple days back with plans for a Flanders Red and Vienna Lager sometime this week.

Juniper gruit smells quite intoxicating in the primary.
Derek wrote:Welcome aboard Jim!

You're brewing some interesting stuff. I'm not sure I've ever had a lavender brew, but the Fraoch and the Heatherdale Ale from Gulf Island are both good for what they are. I'm not a fan of Juniper or Gin, but the Sahti style is certainly intriguing.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Successfully cultured yeast from a blend of Unibroue Maudite, BDC and LFDM earlier this week, 2L starter is nicely bubbling away in the basement. Plan is to use it to brew a TP clone this weekend.

My understanding is that Unibroue use a primary yeast and a bottle fermenting yeast. Can anyone who has brewed with yeast cultured from any of their bottled products comment on the flavour profile? Similarities or differences from the commercially brewed example?

I found contradictory information all over the web regarding which (if not all) of their beers are bottled with a different strain, hence my decision to use dregs from three different products.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Nothing brewing...but I did bang together a 4-tap kegerator for the basement. And there happens to be 4 batches of beer sitting around in secondary ready to be kegged!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Two double IPAs are on deck for this long weekend.

One with just over 14oz of hops, pretty much a 50/50 split of Simcoe and Citra. 2-row, plus 1lb of crystal malt and 1lb of sugar.

The other has 26oz of hops, with Amarillo leading the way, followed by Columbus, Centennial, Cascade, Zeus, Simcoe and Citra. 2-row, plus 2lbs of crystal malt and 2lbs of sugar.

Should be fun!

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Yesterday: Batch of Apfelwein. Took all of about 20 minutes.

Today: IPA. Just doughed in. 2-Row, Crystal and Aromatic. Hop bill of Chinook, Centennial and Cascade.

Weissebier

Post by Weissebier »

I have not done any small batch brewing in quite a few years. Last Friday I brewed up a 27 litre batch of Rauchbier. So far it looks [and tastes] very promising. I was hoping for a Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock clone, but I missed on the colour and perhaps am looking more to that of Spezial, but with more pronounced smoke. This was all grain, and the running after sparge was quite good, so we got greedy and collected 31 l. and boiled back to 27, so I threw the colour out the window, with extra volume.

W.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

right now i am making a ipa. Its 7 lbs extra light dme amd 1lb crystal 40 stepped. Than add 1oz sorachi ace at 60min. .5oz cluster and .5oz sterling at 15 and same amount cluster and sterling at 5min. I have to say that the sorachi ace hops smelled great once i added them to the boil. I am going to ferment it with nottingham yeast. its a 5 gal batch.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Yesterday I brewed a northern english brown ale. I added a little honey and biscuit malt to go along with the 2-row, crystal and chocolate. Bittered with fuggles and finished with EKG. This one is more for the guests than for me.

My american IPA keg kicked, so I'll have to get another batch on the go pronto. Going forward I'm going to have to schedule things so that I have at least one tap pouring IPA at all times.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

phat matt wrote:right now i am making a ipa. Its 7 lbs extra light dme amd 1lb crystal 40 stepped. Than add 1oz sorachi ace at 60min. .5oz cluster and .5oz sterling at 15 and same amount cluster and sterling at 5min. I have to say that the sorachi ace hops smelled great once i added them to the boil. I am going to ferment it with nottingham yeast. its a 5 gal batch.
I made an ale with all Sorachi Ace hops, just bottled it over the weekend. From the sample I tried I would say they are a subtle hop - there, but not in your face. They were detectable enough that I could recognize them as the same hop in Duggan's Asian Lager. Will have to see how it is after a couple weeks in the bottle.

The recipe was:

7 lbs. 2-row
1/2 lb. melanoidin
1/2 lb. light crystal
1/2 lb. carafoam
1/2 oz. sorachi ace (leaf) 60 min.
1/2 oz. sorachi ace (leaf) 30 min.
1 oz. sorachi ace (leaf) 10 min.
1 oz. sorachi ace (leaf) 5 min.
1/2 oz. sorachi ace (leaf) at end of boil
Yeast: Rogue Pacman

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

matt7215 wrote:i had a fun day today:

3 gallon batch

3 lbs pilsner malt
2 lbs wheat malt

.5 oz willamet mashed

OG 1.040

cooled and pitched the dregs of some homebrewed biere de garde (100% bret b)

1 gallon batch

1 lb pilsner malt
1 lb flaked wheat

no hops, no boil

pitched 0.5 lbs of raw pils grain and 2 acidophilus pills

OG 1.030
Matt - is this the Wild Blonde that won second at the sour competition? Congrats on the win!

-rudy

JimC

Post by JimC »

Imperial Oatmeal Stout last week

63% Marris Otter
10% Flaked Oats
3.5% Carafa I
3.5% Carafa III
3.5% Caramunich III
1.5% Roast Barley
15% Brown Sugar

Hopped with Williamette and Bog Myrtle to about 45IBU. OG 1.082. Did a cereal mash on the Oat's and a 4 step mash on the whole thing. Fermented with S04 and it tastes great at one week old.

Did a split batch of gruit double yesterday.
74% Belgian Pilsner
3% Caramunich I
3% Caramunich III
3% Special B
17% Cane sugar, inverted and caramelized to a deep red.

"Hopped" with 5 oz Bog Myrtle for 10 gal. 2oz @90, 2oz @30, 1oz @15. OG was 1.064. Fermenting half on Wyeast Saison and the other half on Whitelabs Abbey. Wort tasted like caramel candy with a hit of peat bog from the myrtle. It was very complementary and tasty.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

rudolf wrote:
matt7215 wrote:i had a fun day today:

3 gallon batch

3 lbs pilsner malt
2 lbs wheat malt

.5 oz willamet mashed

OG 1.040

cooled and pitched the dregs of some homebrewed biere de garde (100% bret b)

1 gallon batch

1 lb pilsner malt
1 lb flaked wheat

no hops, no boil

pitched 0.5 lbs of raw pils grain and 2 acidophilus pills

OG 1.030
Matt - is this the Wild Blonde that won second at the sour competition? Congrats on the win!

-rudy
thanks rudy!

the wild blonde is a lambic i brewed last summer. the recipe above just got bottled last weekend so ill probably enter it into NB's next sour comp.

looks like your berliner weisse did pretty well too! congrats!

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

American IPA..chilling the wort now before pitching the US-05. 2-Row, crystal and biscuit malts, hopped with chinook, centennial, cascade, ahtanum & amarillo..target is 66 IBU.

Tomorrow will be a blonde ale.

JimC

Post by JimC »

JimC wrote: 74% Belgian Pilsner
3% Caramunich I
3% Caramunich III
3% Special B
17% Cane sugar, inverted and caramelized to a deep red.

"Hopped" with 5 oz Bog Myrtle for 10 gal. 2oz @90, 2oz @30, 1oz @15. OG was 1.064. Fermenting half on Wyeast Saison and the other half on Whitelabs Abbey. Wort tasted like caramel candy with a hit of peat bog from the myrtle. It was very complementary and tasty.

La - YUM. I am not sure which I like more at this point the Saison has a lovely little funky character and loads of phenols. The Abbey is more what you expect out of a double. They are both far and away the best Double's I have made yet.