Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

1 gallon recipe

2 lbs pils malt
1 lb pale wheat

mash at 148 for 45min

.5oz super styrian @ 60min
.5oz super styrian @ 10min
1 oz santium @ 1min

sa - 05

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

today bartle came and hang out with us to brew a mild ("millenium falcon mild") and an xpa ("creepy doll xpa"). a couple of nice lighter beers for the spring that should be pretty badass.

bartle

Post by bartle »

grub wrote:today bartle came and hang out with us to brew a mild ("millenium falcon mild") and an xpa ("creepy doll xpa"). a couple of nice lighter beers for the spring that should be pretty badass.
I had nightmares about that doll.
enjoi

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

markaberrant wrote:5 min before end of boil add spices processed in electric spice/coffee grinder
.25 oz Coriander
.25 oz Sweet Orange Peel
.25 oz Bitter Orange Peel
15 black peppercorns
Thanks Mark. That is more or less what I ended up doing, except a little more coriander, and I dropped the peppercorns (the T-58 I'm using is supposed to be quite peppery on it's own, so I wasn't about to help that along).

Busy day today. Kegged a northern english brown ale, racked a blonde ale and an american IPA (which I dry hopped with amarillo) to secondary and brewed a dunkelweizen and the witbier. Tired...enjoying some quadrupel that I brewed in the fall...it's really coming into form now..
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Today I brewed a Rousse de Chambly. I figured they didnt so I might as well.

On a 2-row pale ale base, some german wheat, some Bamberg Caramunich Type 2, some leftover Honey malts, and 2 litres of healthy popping Unibroue yeast.

Next I'll try is some hefewiezen for the summer. Dont expect to have time until late april.

Until then, my Cherry Amber Ale should be ready for secondary soon. The airlock smells delicious.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

cannondale wrote:
markaberrant wrote:5 min before end of boil add spices processed in electric spice/coffee grinder
.25 oz Coriander
.25 oz Sweet Orange Peel
.25 oz Bitter Orange Peel
15 black peppercorns
Thanks Mark. That is more or less what I ended up doing, except a little more coriander, and I dropped the peppercorns (the T-58 I'm using is supposed to be quite peppery on it's own, so I wasn't about to help that along).

Busy day today. Kegged a northern english brown ale, racked a blonde ale and an american IPA (which I dry hopped with amarillo) to secondary and brewed a dunkelweizen and the witbier. Tired...enjoying some quadrupel that I brewed in the fall...it's really coming into form now..
The wit spiced as indicated above is delicious. Thanks for passing along your winning combination markaberrant, I'm very pleased with the level of both the coriander and the bitter orange. The T-58 produced almost no peppery note at all. Fermentation temperature must have been sufficiently low.

I brewed a robust porter last sunday. 2-row, carastan, black and chocolate malts and some flaked barley. Bittered with chinook, flavoured with cascade and finished with willamette. I plan to add a vanilla bean to secondary.

Last night I kegged the american IPA mentioned above. Gravity sample was fantastic. Crystal clear, perfect bitterness for my taste, great hop nose.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I'm bottling a dark strong tonight that was based on Biergotter's Monks Elixir. Went from 1.091 to 1.010 last I checked. I am going to add some wine to taste that has been sitting on oak cubes and cacao nibs for the last 3 weeks.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

markaberrant wrote:I'm bottling a dark strong tonight that was based on Biergotter's Monks Elixir. Went from 1.091 to 1.010 last I checked. I am going to add some wine to taste that has been sitting on oak cubes and cacao nibs for the last 3 weeks.
Nice, that one is bombin. Last we brewed was a dark mild and an XPA. Should be in kegs soon
Fuckin' magnets... How do they work?

thelynchfella

Post by thelynchfella »

kegged a belgian style wit last weekend, my hyrometer smashed so have no idea what strenght it'll be.
Going to do a weiss tomorrow at some stage, have to go to the local pet store see if i can get a hydrometer there 1st though

teichertbier

Post by teichertbier »

After two extract batches I decided to switch over to all-grain. On Sunday I transferred all-grain batch #1, an Imperial IPA, over to secondary for dry-hopping and brewed up batch #2, an English Barleywine.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

brewing this flanders red either this weekend or next:

3 lbs pilsner
3 lbs munich
3 lbs vienna
1 lb light wheat
0.5 lbs crystal 60L
0.5 lbs crystal 120L

1 oz saaz @ 60min

Wyeast 3763 Roselare

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Brewed my own Imperial Stout last Friday night at home, then got up at 6am Saturday and brewed 600L of Imperial Stout (based on a recipe I had input on) at the Bushwakker for Big Brew Day (yeah, I know we were a week late), so I've got 5 gallons of that fermenting away at home too.

And I'm brewing yet another 10 gallons of a different Imperial Stout this Saturday - but the plan with this batch is to see how far we can push the yeast in terms of ABV, and then eis the ever lovin crap out of it.

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Brewing my first ever batch beer: A partial Two Hearted clone. Needs a bit more attenuation, and the colour is too light, but tastes pretty good so far.

Next is Racer 5 clone.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Brewing my first ever batch (a partial boil) on my own based on Matt7215's Simple American IPA recipe with some whole leaf cascade hops. Just doing the steeping of the grains now, it's smelling great in the kitchen.

Edit: OG of 1.043
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Nice to see so many bartowel members getting into home brewing. It's a very rewarding hobby in many ways.

Big brew day planned for tommorow. I'm planning to brew an all Simcoe IPA:

Grains: 2-Row, Crystal, CaraPils and maybe a small amount of Aromatic and/or Biscuit
Hops: all Simcoe leaf hops
Yeast: Safale US-05

As well as a Saison:

Grains: Pilsner, Wheat and Vienna
Hops: Fuggles, Goldings and Saaz
Spices: Bitter Orange Peel and Coriander Seed
Yeast: Safbrew T-58

I may even throw together another batch of Apfelwein while I'm at it.