Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

matt7215 wrote:ill never use 3724 again. everytime ive tried to use it it craps out and i need to pitch another strain to finish fermentation.

i just picked up some 3711 so hopefully it'll become my new go to saison strain.
3724 has worked for me, but full attenuation takes 3-4 weeks at 85-90F. Sorry, but that is too much of a hassle.

I've used 3711 twice, and it is a beast! Ferments like any other ale yeast, and the character is citrus/pepper. Very happy with the results. The Amarillo Saison is delicious, as is the light saison (4.7%) I made before hand.

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

This 3724 is similar or the same as the strain for saison Dupont from what I've read. It must be a mutant or not a traditional farmhouse strain, as I find it hard to believe Southern Belgian cellars get to 80-90F in the fall (or any time of the yr for that matter).

I guess I knew what I was getting myself into. There's endless threads about this bugger on multiple forums. Duly noted on the 3711. Next time.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

First 10 gallon split batch. Wheat base, split two ways to make a hefe and an american wheat.

Fermentables: wheat malt, pilsner & aromatic

Hops: hallertau (bittering), tettnanger (flavour)

Yeast:
First 5 gallons: WB-06
Second 5 gallons: US-05

The american wheat will get a good dose of amarillo in secondary...to try to get a bit of a 3F gumballhead type thing, altho IBU will still by necessity fall short of the real deal.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Racked a pale/amber ale into a keg with dry hops on Wednesday night. I used 1lb of amber malt in this batch, and it seemed super toasty at transfer, so that's why it might be an amber. Used Cascade for all the late additions.

Repitched some of that slurry into a 1.096 hoppy barleywine I brewed Saturday morning. Pitched my yeast at 3pm into an oxygenated 64F wort. It was blowing off like mad by 10pm. I'm using a 2:1 mix of Chinook and Zeus for all late additions, so it should be dank, piney and bitter, which is how I like em.

Going over to my friend's house tomorrow night to check on the Cascades he planted for me last year. I'm guessing they'll be about ready to pick, so I'll probably squeeze in a wet hop pale ale next weekend.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Dubbel boiling away. Recipe is a slightly modified version of Tomme Arthurs' kitchen sink dubbel recipe in BLAM. Among other things, I'm adding a little extra cane sugar to ensure high attenuation..I want this thing dry.

High time I get crackin' on this years' pumpkin ale...maybe tomorrow. Maybe I'll do a higher gravity one this year, along the lines of ST Pumking..

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Spent 45-50 minutes yesterday picking fresh Cascades in the sun. I couldn't believe how full these 2 year old plants were, I ended up leaving about 20-30% of the cones on the vine (the smaller ones anyway). I ended up with 22.2oz of wet Cascades.

I zipped home and brewed up a simple batch of wet hop pale ale. Used galena to bitter, then split up the Cascades into 3 additions at 15, 0 and keg hops. 2-row and 1lb of C60 to 1.049, S-05 yeast. Can't wait to tap this sucker!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

markaberrant wrote:Spent 45-50 minutes yesterday picking fresh Cascades in the sun. I couldn't believe how full these 2 year old plants were, I ended up leaving about 20-30% of the cones on the vine (the smaller ones anyway). I ended up with 22.2oz of wet Cascades.

I zipped home and brewed up a simple batch of wet hop pale ale. Used galena to bitter, then split up the Cascades into 3 additions at 15, 0 and keg hops. 2-row and 1lb of C60 to 1.049, S-05 yeast. Can't wait to tap this sucker!
that sounds like the wet hop ale we made last weekend. galena to bitter, wet centennial FWH and flameout, and wet cascade at 15, 5, 0. total of 42oz of wet hops in 10gal. should be delicious!

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Anyone have an easy Pumpkin Ale recipe (extract)?

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

elproducto wrote:Anyone have an easy Pumpkin Ale recipe (extract)?
Brew using an ESB grain bill (or extract whatever) (target 5% alc/vol), use a Belgian Abbey II yeast, hop with delicate aromatics, no more then 30 IBU, and if your doing a 5 Gallon batch, ditch about 1.5 litres of boiled-then-cooled, spiced-to-your-liking mashed pumpkin into your secondary fermentor (one of roughly 30 cm of diameter). Let sit cool for 14 days.

Adding pumpkin to the mash like some may suggest will give you inadequate pumpkin flavours. You end up with beer that has spices to remind you of a pumpkin pie, but not the pumpkin itself. You dont want to add pumpkin for fermentation, its for flavouring. Nothing adds pumpkin flavour more than adding pulp into the secondary.

My two cents.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

grub wrote:that sounds like the wet hop ale we made last weekend. galena to bitter, wet centennial FWH and flameout, and wet cascade at 15, 5, 0. total of 42oz of wet hops in 10gal. should be delicious!
I picked 22.2 oz. I'm guessing I can easily do a 10 gallon batch next year.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

Just got home from a parti-gyle batch. 4 gallons of barleywine hopped with fresh willamette, and 10 gallons of bitter hopped with fresh nugget. We were planning on doing a pumpkin stout today as well, but we were all a little slow starting today. I'll be doing the pumpkin Tuesday.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

5 gallons of Canadian Breakfast Porter (Oatmeal & Maple Syrup) hopped with Pride of Ringwood and Goldings, and using Ringwood ale yeast

5 Gallons Plain Pale with Northern Brewer and Golding using Mauri Ale yeast
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i brewed a saison on saturday

split the 6 gallons into 4 and 2

the 4 gallons is fermeting away with Wyest French Saison

the 2 is souring with Cantillon dregs

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Today is 2010 pumpkin ale day...

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

brewed at volo yesterday with the crew from dieu du ciel. our twist on a foreign export stout. had a blast and can't wait to drink it!