Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

JimC wrote:Imperial Oatmeal Stout last week

63% Marris Otter
10% Flaked Oats
3.5% Carafa I
3.5% Carafa III
3.5% Caramunich III
1.5% Roast Barley
15% Brown Sugar

Hopped with Williamette and Bog Myrtle to about 45IBU. OG 1.082. Did a cereal mash on the Oat's and a 4 step mash on the whole thing. Fermented with S04 and it tastes great at one week old.
What did this finish at? Why 15% brown sugar in a stout?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Did a belgian dark strong last night. 2 row, 1 lb special B and a kilo of demerara. Boiled for 3 hours - ended up with 6.5 gallons at 1.091. Pitched a slurry of 3711, my new favourite belgian yeast.

JimC

Post by JimC »

FG was 1.021. Brown sugar, why not. Mostly because I have been playing with sugar recently. It seemed to work from the feedback I am getting and the hint of molasses works really well with the hint of muddy bog myrtle and plays off the silky oats and roast grain.
markaberrant wrote:
What did this finish at? Why 15% brown sugar in a stout?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

JimC wrote:FG was 1.021. Brown sugar, why not. Mostly because I have been playing with sugar recently. It seemed to work from the feedback I am getting and the hint of molasses works really well with the hint of muddy bog myrtle and plays off the silky oats and roast grain.
I asked about the brown sugar because I have never felt it contributes all that much as far as flavour.

I am also surprised it finished so high with all that brown sugar. I would have expected it to at least finish around 1.016-1.017.

Still sounds like an interesting brew!

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Blonde ale went well. 2-row, carafoam, vienna & munich. Hopped with centennial and cascade. Hit all the targets.

Might brew a dunkelweizen tomorrow...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I finally get to post in here since the move to the new house and final brewery setup.

Yesterday I spent the day brewing my Sour Cherry Amber Ale. Its a take on my regular american amber ale, but with a polish sour red cherry syrup twist. Flavours seem to have interated well at the boil Cant wait to try this out after primary. Recipee is weird, but I need to liquidate some of the older malts....

Weyerman Pilsner 50 %
Vienna 32%
Crystal 75 14 %
Carafoam 4 %

Hopped with Centennial and Cascade, to IBU 44. Soured with Polish Sour Red Cherry Syrup.

Not my typical brew, but I have 250 kg of grain I need to spend... following my move I found some rot in 3 bags of 4 kg. And I am not big on waste!

Here's to more brewing, finally!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

markaberrant wrote:The other has 26oz of hops, with Amarillo leading the way, followed by Columbus, Centennial, Cascade, Zeus, Simcoe and Citra. 2-row, plus 2lbs of crystal malt and 2lbs of sugar.

Should be fun!
So we ended up using a total of 34oz of hops in this beer (12oz alone worth of dry hops in the keg). Got the lab results back today:

Alcohol % 7.82
O.G. 1.075
A.E. 1.01322
R.E.(Plato) 6.14
B.U. 105
B.U./R.E. 16.9
Colour 15.8
pH 4.62
Haze - unreadable (off the charts)

It is pretty grassy right now with all those dry hops, so I'm gonna pull them this weekend. We'll be serving it through a Randall stuffed with Amarillo in 2 weeks time.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I'm gonna brew a plain old "beer" this weekend:

9lbs 2-row
1.5oz mt hood @ 60
.5oz mt hood @ 30
Safale s-05

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

markaberrant wrote:I'm gonna brew a plain old "beer" this weekend:

9lbs 2-row
1.5oz mt hood @ 60
.5oz mt hood @ 30
Safale s-05
Don't get any simpler.

Trying my first cream stout, using lactose. Anyone have any experience with this? Recipe calls for .5 lb (for 5 gallon recipe)

JimC

Post by JimC »

Split batch Kolech(ish) and Pale Bret

18 lbs/94.74 % Pilsner
8.0 oz/2.63 % Biscuit Malt
8.0 oz/2.63 % Caramunich I

1.00 oz Liberty (60 min)
1.00 oz Pearle (60 min)
2.00 oz Liberty (30 min)

1.055 OG, 5.4 SRM, 27.6 IBU

Fermenting 1/2 with Kolsch yeast and 1/2 with Bret L.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

9lbs 2-row
1.5oz mt hood @ 60
.5oz mt hood @ 30
Safale s-05
what do you get out of a 30 min addition? ive always done flavour additions from 10 - ko and dry hopped for aroma.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

9lbs 2-row
1.5oz mt hood @ 60
.5oz mt hood @ 30
Safale s-05
It's fun to just brew a plain ol 'beer' here and there.

I'm sure everyone has big long weekend brew plans.

I'm brewing a 'textbook' wit, and im going to do something very close Jamil's trigo oscuro dunkelweizen from the Jan./Feb. BYO. I figure with a wit, a hefe and then the american IPA and blonde ale that I have fermenting now, ill be all set by the time summer bbq season hits full stride...

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

cannondale wrote:It's fun to just brew a plain ol 'beer' here and there.

I'm sure everyone has big long weekend brew plans.

I'm brewing a 'textbook' wit, and im going to do something very close Jamil's trigo oscuro dunkelweizen from the Jan./Feb. BYO. I figure with a wit, a hefe and then the american IPA and blonde ale that I have fermenting now, ill be all set by the time summer bbq season hits full stride...
Yup, need some good summer beer with mass appeal. I brewed an insanely good witbier 3 weeks ago (with the 3711 yeast), I'm not sure I have tasted a better one, commercial or otherwise. I have never been quite satisfied with all my previous witbiers, so I backed way off on the spices, and I think that did the trick. Reading the new Brewing With Wheat book a couple days after brewing it certainly validated this approach.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Yup, need some good summer beer with mass appeal. I brewed an insanely good witbier 3 weeks ago (with the 3711 yeast), I'm not sure I have tasted a better one, commercial or otherwise. I have never been quite satisfied with all my previous witbiers, so I backed way off on the spices, and I think that did the trick. Reading the new Brewing With Wheat book a couple days after brewing it certainly validated this approach.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that less is often more with certain styles. I think with wheat beers, that is certainly the case. I've gone overboard with spices, especially with sweet and bitter orange peel. For this one I was thinking something like 1/4 to 1/2 oz. each of cracked coriander and dried curacoa at 15 (for a 5 gallon batch). What was your winning combination?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

cannondale wrote: If there's one thing I've learned, it's that less is often more with certain styles. I think with wheat beers, that is certainly the case. I've gone overboard with spices, especially with sweet and bitter orange peel. For this one I was thinking something like 1/4 to 1/2 oz. each of cracked coriander and dried curacoa at 15 (for a 5 gallon batch). What was your winning combination?
5 min before end of boil add spices processed in electric spice/coffee grinder
.25 oz Coriander
.25 oz Sweet Orange Peel
.25 oz Bitter Orange Peel
15 black peppercorns