Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Cale wrote:13oz of Galaxy throughout (for better or for worse).
Based on my experience with galaxy, I'd say for better!

The BRY-97 is pretty much done with my centennial IPA. I think next up I will brew up an imperial american brown and pitch some of the BRY-97 slurry onto it.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

matt7215 wrote:this weekend or next im brewing an english mild

malts:
marris otter
pale chocolate
rye malt
home toasted oat

hops:
EKG

yeast:
safale s-04

target OG: 1.032
i added 3 ozs of crystal 120L to the malt bill and a single shot of 1 oz of EKG with 20min left in the boil

chillin right now

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

It's probably a terrible idea, but I brewed a durian saison today.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

not brewing specifically, but i did pick up a whole bunch of new brewing hardware yesterday and got to check out the tacked up version of my brew sculpture. weee!!!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

J343MY wrote:It's probably a terrible idea, but I brewed a durian saison today.
fresh fruit?
cat piss smell everywhere?

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:
fresh fruit?
Actually I just brewed the base beer today, the durian will be added in secondary. I am going durian shopping tomorrow in Chinatown.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm planning to do a cherry saison once they're in season. Maybe 9# of sour cherries in 6 Gallons? I don't know... any recommendations?

I'll probably use a bit of rye malt for some spice and some honey malt for a bit of residual sweetness. I haven't got any experience here...

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Brewed two batches yesterday, a Simcoe Smash IPA and a Weisse
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Did a Belgian Tripel yesterday (simcoe and citra at flameout). Also used some of the wort (diluted) to start building up a Crooked Stave brett culture from Atomeyes.

Kegged up 2 beers on the weekend too - a barrel aged RIS (aged for 2 months in a 26L barrel from Last Mountain Distillery), and a DIPA that was aged on brett B (stalled at 1.020, brett took it down to 1.010 in 3 months).

Brewing a Belgian Quad next weekend, and a 100% Brett IPA in a few weeks.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

J343MY wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
fresh fruit?
Actually I just brewed the base beer today, the durian will be added in secondary. I am going durian shopping tomorrow in Chinatown.
triple bag that shit, dude. only had durian once and the urine smell is really there.
i'd politely suggest you use a light hand for fruit addition. i'd consider 0.5 lbs/gallon and taste in a few weeks.
i'd suggest you also let your wife know that you're bringing durian into the house :)

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

going to try to brew the following in the upcoming month:

-nelson sauvin gose
-brett blonde (possibly brux trois?) with rhubarb, rose hips and sumac
-brett (Crooked Stave strain) blonde with el dorado hops
-"pretzel" beer (amber with mustard seed and salt)
-"key lime pie" beer (high abv belgian blonde beer with lime zest)

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote: triple bag that shit, dude. only had durian once and the urine smell is really there.
i'd politely suggest you use a light hand for fruit addition. i'd consider 0.5 lbs/gallon and taste in a few weeks.
i'd suggest you also let your wife know that you're bringing durian into the house :)
I have had way more than my fair share of durians. So apart from how the beer will turn out, I know exactly what to expect.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

J343MY wrote:
atomeyes wrote: triple bag that shit, dude. only had durian once and the urine smell is really there.
I have had way more than my fair share of durians. So apart from how the beer will turn out, I know exactly what to expect.
you consider jackfruit as well? not for a saison, but a blonde?

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:you consider jackfruit as well? not for a saison, but a blonde?
That's a pretty good idea. I will add it to the ever growing list of things to brew.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

The Durian Saison is official, no backing out now.