Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Tuesday's brew:

saison w/farmhouse yeast mix (brett!) and some other goodies.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

atomeyes wrote:Tuesday's brew:

decided to toss some chardonay-soaked oak chips into the carboy. should be fun.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

atomeyes wrote:

in primary?

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

1 gallon of Maple Wine, fermented like a mead with staggered nutrient additions and champagne yeast. OG 1.090 with about 1 litre of amber maple syrup.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Kegged up an all Zeus pale ale last weekend. No dry hops. Trying to go for something straight up and balanced, ala Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Seems like it will be in the ballpark.

2 brews planned this weekend:

"Regina Wild Ale" - grew up 2 seperate yeast cultures last fall from grapes grown in my 2 friends' large gardens. We tried growing up a couple other cultures too, but they were gross and got dumped. Brewed 2 seperate batches in late Oct, tasted them for the first time last week. Both turned out well, one is an awesome pepper and citrus saison with some witbier-like spice complexity, the other is mildly tart and fruity with a light touch of funk. Going to brew another batch with the yeasts blended together for a light spring/summer thirst quencher. 50% 2-row, 25% flaked wheat, 12.5% flaked oats, 12.5% C20. 20ibu, 1.045 OG.

Obsidian Stout clone - if this ends up anywhere close to the real thing, I will be one happy camper.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

markaberrant wrote:Kegged up an all Zeus pale ale last weekend. No dry hops. Trying to go for something straight up and balanced, ala Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Seems like it will be in the ballpark.

"Regina Wild Ale" - grew up 2 seperate yeast cultures last fall from grapes grown in my 2 friends' large gardens. We tried growing up a couple other cultures too, but they were gross and got dumped. Brewed 2 seperate batches in late Oct, tasted them for the first time last week. Both turned out well, one is an awesome pepper and citrus saison with some witbier-like spice complexity, the other is mildly tart and fruity with a light touch of funk. Going to brew another batch with the yeasts blended together for a light spring/summer thirst quencher. 50% 2-row, 25% flaked wheat, 12.5% flaked oats, 12.5% C20. 20ibu, 1.045 OG.

Obsidian Stout clone - if this ends up anywhere close to the real thing, I will be one happy camper.
Holy crap.. my Obsidian Stout clone is one of those batches of beer that shocks me everytime I drink it. It's def. an "I can't believe I brewed this" beer.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

matt7215 wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

in primary?
yep.
the brett's already there so i didn't see an issue. might be messy, but who knows.
you think otherwise?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

markaberrant wrote:Kegged up an all Zeus pale ale last weekend. No dry hops. Trying to go for something straight up and balanced, ala Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Seems like it will be in the ballpark.

i would like to subscribe to this program that you're selling.

hot damn...how did you culture the yeast? i want to do that with some winery grapes.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

atomeyes wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
atomeyes wrote: decided to toss some chardonay-soaked oak chips into the carboy. should be fun.
in primary?
yep.
the brett's already there so i didn't see an issue. might be messy, but who knows.
you think otherwise?
primary fermentation will probably scrub off most of the character the chardonay had added to the oak, also depending on how long you are planning to leave it in primary you might not get very much oak character

on the plus side you now have some wood that will have bret in it so you can use it to add bret to future batches

next time id add the oak to secondary, taste periodically, then bottle once you achieve your desired level of oak

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

matt7215 wrote:
primary fermentation will probably scrub off most of the character the chardonay had added to the oak, also depending on how long you are planning to leave it in primary you might not get very much oak character

on the plus side you now have some wood that will have bret in it so you can use it to add bret to future batches

next time id add the oak to secondary, taste periodically, then bottle once you achieve your desired level of oak
thanks for the feedback.

no plans to move it to a secondary. wouldn't make sense if its a saison and brett mixed yeast, would it? i figure that a pellicle would form shortly after the saison was done bubbling away.

i only used 2 ounces of wood (that i attempted to toast on my stove top) for 5 gallons. so i wasn't looking for an insane oak taste. i assumed the chard character would be gone, but eh, was worth a try.

i might as well ask you: once i rack that (and i rack my other beer, a belgian blonde that had brett added to it), can i simple pour a beer into the carboy and allow that pellicle to be re-used in that manner? and would i need to re-innoculate with a normal yeast or would the pellicle do its job?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

atomeyes wrote: thanks for the feedback.
no problem
atomeyes wrote: no plans to move it to a secondary. wouldn't make sense if its a saison and brett mixed yeast, would it? i figure that a pellicle would form shortly after the saison was done bubbling away.
how long are you planning on leaving it in primary?
atomeyes wrote: i only used 2 ounces of wood (that i attempted to toast on my stove top) for 5 gallons. so i wasn't looking for an insane oak taste. i assumed the chard character would be gone, but eh, was worth a try.
2 oz is actually quite a bit of oak for something as light as a saison, i wouldnt leave this beer on the oak for too long.
atomeyes wrote: i might as well ask you: once i rack that (and i rack my other beer, a belgian blonde that had brett added to it), can i simple pour a beer into the carboy and allow that pellicle to be re-used in that manner? and would i need to re-innoculate with a normal yeast or would the pellicle do its job
if your asking if you can re-use the yeast that will be built up on the bottom of your fermentors to ferment another batch, then the asnswer is yes, you most certainly can.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

matt7215 wrote:
atomeyes wrote: no plans to move it to a secondary. wouldn't make sense if its a saison and brett mixed yeast, would it? i figure that a pellicle would form shortly after the saison was done bubbling away.
for 3 months. using heat coils to heat up the carboy for a week (doing this 1 week from now).
matt7215 wrote:
atomeyes wrote: i only used 2 ounces of wood (that i attempted to toast on my stove top) for 5 gallons. so i wasn't looking for an insane oak taste. i assumed the chard character would be gone, but eh, was worth a try.
2 oz is actually quite a bit of oak for something as light as a saison, i wouldnt leave this beer on the oak for too long.
would you re-think this after seeing that its a 3 month ferment?
matt7215 wrote:
atomeyes wrote: i might as well ask you: once i rack that (and i rack my other beer, a belgian blonde that had brett added to it), can i simple pour a beer into the carboy and allow that pellicle to be re-used in that manner? and would i need to re-innoculate with a normal yeast or would the pellicle do its job
if your asking if you can re-use the yeast that will be built up on the bottom of your fermentors to ferment another batch, then the asnswer is yes, you most certainly can.
again, would i need to add more saison yeast or would i just give it a go with the brett?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

atomeyes wrote:hot damn...how did you culture the yeast? i want to do that with some winery grapes.
Pretty simple, carefully cut a handful of grapes straight into a small sterilized jar with a couple cups of cooled wort. Let that sit for 2 weeks, then added about 2 more liters of wort, and let sit another 2 weeks.

Harvesting wild yeast is definitely a crapshoot. Recommend doing it in a lush area, when everything is in full bloom and nights are cool (aka fall).

I was really surprised how these batches turned out. I was expecting them to be a little off or nasty, and definitely sour, but only the one has a bit of tartness. The other one is just a really good, clean saison.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

atomeyes wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
for 3 months. using heat coils to heat up the carboy for a week (doing this 1 week from now).
3 months should be fine for the sac and bret but may be problematic because of the oak
atomeyes wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
would you re-think this after seeing that its a 3 month ferment?
i think you will have a ton of oak character after 3 months but your bret character wont be fully developed, if your ok with that then a 3 month primary seems fine
atomeyes wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
again, would i need to add more saison yeast or would i just give it a go with the brett?
you will already have both saison yeast and bret in the yeast cake at the bottom of your carboy so you shouldnt need to pitch more saison yeast

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i'll give it a taste in a month or so when i check its gravity. i can always yank a bag or 2 of oak out.
i assume that this beer will keep on getting better with cellaring in bottles.

so yeah...now I'm thinking that I should go home and yank a bag out tonight while the yeast is in the lag phase.