Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Today I brewed a Saison with Tired Hands emptiness yeast culture.

jprime

Post by jprime »

grub wrote:
atomeyes wrote:moving further into the stix?
yep, Brantford. rental initially while we find something in the area to buy.
I live in St. George, just 10 minutes north of Brantford. Lets get together!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

So last weekend I did a rebrew of the saison I brewed earlier this summer (recipe already posted in this thread) but after brewing 8 gallons of parti gyle old ale ( recipes also posted in this thread ) I wanted to try to make something from the second runnings of my saison.

After running off 6.5 gallons for my saison I added 2.5 gallons of 155 F water to my mash tun and let that sit during my saison boil. Once my saison was in the cube I started to run off again, fly sparging with 165 F water and collected another 5.5 gallons.

For the second runnings I only boiled for 15 min and then let the wort cool in my kettle until it was at 110 F. I then emptied the kettle into an HDPE bucket and pitched a handful of un crushed 2 row and snapped on the lid. The temp dropped slowly over the next 24 hrs and then I poured the lacto laced wort into a fermenter and pitched Nottingham and Bret drie.

OG was 1.26 and after a week it was down to 1.006. This weekend I racked into secondary onto some pineapple and I was amazed at how drinkable the beer was after just 1 week. It tasted super clean with a fuller body then the gravity would suggest with a nice edge of lacto sourness.

I'm planning on bottling this in 2 weeks and will report back then (I'll already be drinking the saison by then)

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Lots of brewing related activities this long weekend.

Saturday I did a split batch. Half got wyeast De Bom, and the other half got a brett blend from a friend.

Sunday I bottled a Grassroots Brother Soigne inspired saison.

and today I brewed an imperial stout destined for lots of coffee and vanilla beans.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

IPA... I need to make some freezer space for the next hop harvest.

I've got lots of buds, but no cones at all yet. I think they'll be a bit later this year.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Lemon Meringue Pie Ale. Same beer as for the Indie Alehouse homebrew tap takeover but one tenth the size.
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i got a bit wild, y0.

racked my brett brux trois blonde onto 7 lbs rhubarb, 1 oz US oak and brett custerianus (around 2 oz).

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Attempting a Parti-Gyle today, will see how it goes. Aiming for a IIPA (1090 OG) and Cascadian Brown (1045 OG)

Using the Brau Kaiser Parti Gyle calculator here

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... _Simulator
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

icemachine wrote:Attempting a Parti-Gyle today, will see how it goes. Aiming for a IIPA (1090 OG) and Cascadian Brown (1045 OG)

How did it work out? I'd recommend having some extra fermentables on hand, just in case you come up short. I've only done it twice though.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Derek wrote:
icemachine wrote:Attempting a Parti-Gyle today, will see how it goes. Aiming for a IIPA (1090 OG) and Cascadian Brown (1045 OG)

How did it work out? I'd recommend having some extra fermentables on hand, just in case you come up short. I've only done it twice though.
Pretty good, was a little under volume on the second one and both ended up a few points higher, but a great learning experience.

The calculator made it much easier to work adjustments to get the beers dialled in to the gravities, I think next time I do a parti-gyle it will go much easier and closer to my target OG's and Volumes

The wort after hopstands for both tasted very promising, excited to try these as finished beers
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Just finished making a brett fermented pale ale. Hopped with loads of Galaxy and Citra.

All the hops today were added post boil.

it will get a big dry hop (8oz for 5.5 gallons)

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

20 gallons of barley wine today:

50#s 2 row
18.5 #s Munich
3 #s Melanoidin
3 #s Flaked Barley
2 #s Special W
2 #s Flaked Oat

7oz of Centennial @ 60 min

US-05

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Two batches this weekend:

APA brewed with Amarillo, Centennial, and Simcoe.

and homebrew batch number 100, a Grisette with oats and soft Ontario winter wheat.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Belgian dark strong ale.

The D 180 candi syrup really added a lot of colour... And the T58 went crazy within a few hours. Hopefully it's not too phenolic... Cellar is 66F, but perhaps I should've done more for temp control.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Okay, in 30 hrs the T58 took it from 1.084 to 1.024. It smelt like bananas this morning, but it actually tastes pretty clean tonight. I actually moved it to a warmer location so the yeast will keep working.