Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

For La Chouffe, the yeast is 3522.

I haven't brewed this myself, but N8 is known as one of the better clone brewers out there, and I'm pretty sure Chouffe adds spices to the real thing:

http://www.tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/63

You could easily replace the candy sugar with table sugar, and carapils/carafoam could sub for the crystal 10. I'd just do a single infusion mash at 145-148 for 90-120 minutes, you want it to finish DRY.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

markaberrant wrote:For La Chouffe, the yeast is 3522.

I haven't brewed this myself, but N8 is known as one of the better clone brewers out there, and I'm pretty sure Chouffe adds spices to the real thing:

http://www.tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/63

You could easily replace the candy sugar with table sugar, and carapils/carafoam could sub for the crystal 10. I'd just do a single infusion mash at 145-148 for 90-120 minutes, you want it to finish DRY.
That recipe was actually my starting point. Yup, I'm using the 3522. Wyeast lists the typical attenuation at 72-76%, so without reason to expect otherwise I will brew accordingly.

I have clear belgian candi sugar on hand, so I will us it. I will also have some cane sugar on hand if necessary to tweak the OG depending on how efficient the mashing is. Mash plan is more or less as you recommend, with a grain bill comprised of ~15 lbs pilsner and ~1 lb of carastan.

viggo, the Brasserie d'Achouffe website confirms the use of coriander in La Chouffe at least.

I think the spice addition recommendations of N8 seem reasonable, just a little surprised that the amount of cumin is equal to that of the coriander. But if he/she is known for their cloning prowess, perhaps I will trust their recipe.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

cannondale wrote:That recipe was actually my starting point. Yup, I'm using the 3522. Wyeast lists the typical attenuation at 72-76%, so without reason to expect otherwise I will brew accordingly.
I think you can expect otherwise with a more fermentable wort. I've heard of people getting 90% attenuation with this yeast. I got 85% with 2 batches I made this summer.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

markaberrant wrote:
cannondale wrote:That recipe was actually my starting point. Yup, I'm using the 3522. Wyeast lists the typical attenuation at 72-76%, so without reason to expect otherwise I will brew accordingly.
I think you can expect otherwise with a more fermentable wort. I've heard of people getting 90% attenuation with this yeast. I got 85% with 2 batches I made this summer.
Excellent, the yeast are pretty riled up in the starter right now, seem to be anxious to get down to business on the real thing tomorrow.

I'm thinking that I'll brew a chouffe houblon dobbelen IPA tripel type beer and pitch it right onto the yeast cake in a few weeks when I rack the la chouffe to secondary. The tripel will have a substantial OG, so I'm thinking that overpitching will not be an issue. Only concern is that the spice from the la chouffe will carry over and influence the tripel more than I'd like...

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I wouldn't worry about the spice carrying over, but I'd ony use 1-2 cups of fresh slurry. The Houblon is supposedly the same grain bill just a bigger OG (1.072 compared to 1.064).

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Between the cold temps up here (brewed in the garage) and the new immersion chiller, i got the wort down to pitching temp in about 15 minutes.

Looking forward to trying a chouffe houblon dobbelen ipa tripel type thing in a couple weeks. I'm going to go with 2:1 pilsner:2-row for the grain bill, with cane sugar to round it out. I think I'll hop with centennial, saaz and tomahawk, and dry hop with ahtanum for kicks..

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I just measured the gravity on the cider... 0.997! I've never had anything under 1 before! So it's around 6.4% abv.

It's SERIOUSLY cloudy & a little boozy, but not too yeastie. I can see throwing this in a mug with some honey & warming it up over the holidays.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Watching an imperial IPA that started at 1.084 (down to about 1.030 after a week). Brewed a brown Belgian sorta hoppy (45 IBU) Flanders thing over the weekend.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

ESB in secondary, starting to clear nicely
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Racked a la chouffe clone to secondary yesterday. A little boozy, but it tastes exactly like the real thing. Can't wait to try this carbonated and chilled.

I also did a parti-gyle brew with a belgian IPA tripel first, and a belgian pale ale second yesterday. Things worked out quite well, efficiency turned out well above expectations. Extract ratio worked out to roughly 65:35. I bumped up the gravity in the belgian pale ale using some amber candi sugar that I had made Tuesday night.

Note: There are a lot of brewing ingredients aren't worth the hassle of making yourself. Belgian candi sugar is not one of them. Easy peasy.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

My first B.C. batch of West Coast IPA...seemed fitting. Bottling it this Saturday. Fingers crossed.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

bartle

Post by bartle »

an american IPA, all centennial and a little aroma cascade about to be dropped into the secondary tomorrow.
enjoi

stephan

Post by stephan »

just brewed my first all grain using brew in a bag

it was an oatmeal stout.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Jon Walker wrote:My first B.C. batch of West Coast IPA...seemed fitting. Bottling it this Saturday. Fingers crossed.
Are you talking about those Festa Brew kits? The wine kit stores in Regina have recently started stocking them like mad.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Did up a brown porter on Saturday night, got 83% efficiency. 3 vanilla beans are currently soaking in a bit of Jack Daniels, and will get added once fermentation is done. Going for something along the lines of Breckinridge Vanilla Porter (lightly roasted porter with big vanilla), which my wife loves.