Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

markaberrant wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:My first B.C. batch of West Coast IPA...seemed fitting. Bottling it this Saturday. Fingers crossed.
Are you talking about those Festa Brew kits? The wine kit stores in Regina have recently started stocking them like mad.
No. Full mash. It turned out really great. Very similar to the Phillips IPA made out here.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

jcc

Post by jcc »

Jon Walker wrote:
markaberrant wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:My first B.C. batch of West Coast IPA...seemed fitting. Bottling it this Saturday. Fingers crossed.
Are you talking about those Festa Brew kits? The wine kit stores in Regina have recently started stocking them like mad.
No. Full mash. It turned out really great. Very similar to the Phillips IPA made out here.
Good to hear you are getting back into brewing, and it sounds like you are jumping in with both feet. If you move back to Toronto and into the neighbourhood, we'll have to hook up for a brew session.

jcc

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Would love to. :D
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Racked the belgian IPA tripel to secondary and added an ounce of amarillo hops. Best tasting gravity sample I've had... that 3522 is just a fantastic yeast.

Also made about 4 1/2 pounds of dark candi syrup for some brewing to be done in the near future...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Racked the belgian pale ale (second runnings of the partigyle) to secondary. Taste was quite good, very well balanced. But as mentioned elsewhere with partigyle second runnings, the body is lacking. The addition of carapils to the cap was insufficient. I really should have done a mini mash on the side, but had decided not too at the last minute.

Putting together recipes for this weekend for a strong dark belgian (using wyeast 1388) and a stab at a n'ice chouffe clone (using 3rd generation of the 3522).
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Just bottled my IPA. It's tasting pretty nice. Wish there was a little more on the nose. I am satisfied. We'll see how it comes together in the bottles.

6.4%ABV
80+ IBU (an educated estimate).

Unfiltered as you can tell!

Cheers,

-b
enjoi

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Double decocted an Alt. Another SMaSH... all light munich & Mt. Hood.

Thanks to Bobsy for the help stirring and bringing over some brews. I thought the Uerige Doppelsticke was amazing. I think I'll tweak my bock recipe & throw it on this cake from the Alt!

JimC

Post by JimC »

Lambic and Coffee vanilla gruit porter with plans for another gruit of the pale variety this week. Undecided on what kind of herbing to spotlight with, possibly juniper, but there was a request for lavender and heather.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Welcome aboard Jim!

You're brewing some interesting stuff. I'm not sure I've ever had a lavender brew, but the Fraoch and the Heatherdale Ale from Gulf Island are both good for what they are. I'm not a fan of Juniper or Gin, but the Sahti style is certainly intriguing.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Derek wrote:Welcome aboard Jim!

You're brewing some interesting stuff. I'm not sure I've ever had a lavender brew, but the Fraoch and the Heatherdale Ale from Gulf Island are both good for what they are. I'm not a fan of Juniper or Gin, but the Sahti style is certainly intriguing.
Derek - you should try gin out of a tin cup... you'll never go back!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i had a fun day today:

3 gallon batch

3 lbs pilsner malt
2 lbs wheat malt

.5 oz willamet mashed

OG 1.040

cooled and pitched the dregs of some homebrewed biere de garde (100% bret b)

1 gallon batch

1 lb pilsner malt
1 lb flaked wheat

no hops, no boil

pitched 0.5 lbs of raw pils grain and 2 acidophilus pills

OG 1.030

next weekend im goin to strain the one gallon batch with some cheese cloth and blend it into the 3 gallon batch. ill let that go for about a month then rack it to secondary.

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

matt7215 wrote:i had a fun day today:

3 gallon batch

3 lbs pilsner malt
2 lbs wheat malt

.5 oz willamet mashed

OG 1.040

cooled and pitched the dregs of some homebrewed biere de garde (100% bret b)

1 gallon batch

1 lb pilsner malt
1 lb flaked wheat

no hops, no boil

pitched 0.5 lbs of raw pils grain and 2 acidophilus pills

OG 1.030

next weekend im goin to strain the one gallon batch with some cheese cloth and blend it into the 3 gallon batch. ill let that go for about a month then rack it to secondary.
Sounds like a pretty great Berliner Weisse! What brand of pils malt did you use in the no boil portion? I've always had great success with the lacto & other bugs that are on Bestmalz.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I got a Barley Crusher for Christmas and just used it for the first time. It wasn't as much fun as I had envisioned (why do I continue to romantazise my hobbies?). I gave up cranking half way through & pulled out the 3.5A Black & Decker... which now smells kinda funny.

I'm tweaking my Bock recipe for a Doppelsticke.

Alternator

8# Dark Munich
4# Vienna
4# Bohemian Pils
1.5# Caramunich I
1# Melanoidin
1# Pale Wheat
0.5# Carafa I

3 oz Tettnanger - 60 min
2 oz Spalt - 25 min
1 oz Hersbrucker - 10 min

No idea what my efficiency will be with the mill, but I'm guessing it'll finish around 8.5% abv. The bitterness should be around 50 IBU (a little lighter than Uerige's).

I'm taking the day off... double decocting in the morning & picking up the hops I ordered at 1:00 (postal outlet)... hopefully there's no issues, or it's going to be a MAD scramble to find hops!

On edit... the hops came in!

Unfortunately I had a slow sparge & really poor efficiency (62%)... OG=1.076, so it'll finish under 8%.

I changed up the hopping:

3 oz Tettnanger (4.8%AA) - 60 min
3 oz Spalter (4.1%AA) - 30 min
1 oz Hersbrucker (2.5%AA) - 10 min
0.5 oz Tettnanger (4.8%AA) -10 min

Tinseth is calculating 65 IBU. 8)
Last edited by Derek on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Derek wrote: 3 oz Tettnanger - 60 min
2 oz Spalt - 25 min
1 oz Hersbrucker - 10 min
Any idea what the hopping is in the Uerige doppelsticke?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm pretty sure there was spalt in there... not sure what else (if anything).

Supposedly 75 IBU... so that German Barley Ale is boardering on a Barley Wine! It has only been brewed for the American market for a few years... and I doubt there were any Adam Biers like it... but I really dug it!