Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Since I'm new to the home brewing scene I have limited myself to pellets rather than leaf. As far as I know there is not a huge difference between the two.

As for myself...

Recently, I bottled a Rye PA that was bittered only with Chinook, and the "smokey" nature of the chinook hop really came through.

Right now I have a first wort hopped Cascade pale ale that I also dry hopped that I will bottle this weekend.

I'm thinking of brewing my first hefe-wiezen in the coming weeks...just need to get my hands on some wheat malt. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on your own brew.

Cheers,

Ken

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

dutchcanuck wrote: Recently, I bottled a Rye PA that was bittered only with Chinook, and the "smokey" nature of the chinook hop really came through.
That is interesting, can't say I ever thought Chinook was smokey, nor heard anyone else suggest such a thing. Piney? Yes. Smokey? No.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

markaberrant wrote:
dutchcanuck wrote: Recently, I bottled a Rye PA that was bittered only with Chinook, and the "smokey" nature of the chinook hop really came through.
That is interesting, can't say I ever thought Chinook was smokey, nor heard anyone else suggest such a thing. Piney? Yes. Smokey? No.
I've brewed with chinook a fair bit, and I've never thought smokey either. However I have definitely heard them described on multiple occasions as imparting a smokey flavour given the right circumstances. Neat regardless.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I dunno....I am now way an expert or authoritative. Perhaps its a combination of the rye (~20% of the grain bill) and the chinook imparted a flavour that reminded me of burning wood...smokey. If you want to come over for a pint your more than welcome....but you might be disappointed ;)

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Bottled 5 gallons each of an Amarillo/2Row APA SMASH and a Fuggle/MO Bitter SMASH
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

dutchcanuck wrote:I'm thinking of brewing my first hefe-wiezen in the coming weeks...just need to get my hands on some wheat malt. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on your own brew.
Great time of year to brew hefeweizen, and wheat malt is easy to come by. So far so good with my hefe. I had built up a starter of WY3068 a couple days in advance and split it between the two 5.5 gallon parts. I was expecting a little longer lag time than usual, but it was going strong within ~12 hours.

Next up is Roggenbier. I'm going to re-use some of the WY3068. It'll be my first roggen, should be interesting.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

cannondale wrote:
Great time of year to brew hefeweizen, and wheat malt is easy to come by. So far so good with my hefe. I had built up a starter of WY3068 a couple days in advance and split it between the two 5.5 gallon parts. I was expecting a little longer lag time than usual, but it was going strong within ~12 hours.

Next up is Roggenbier. I'm going to re-use some of the WY3068. It'll be my first roggen, should be interesting.
My experience with hefeweizen is that you cannot ferment it cool enough, try 15C.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I just brewed a hefe today...

50% wheat
25% Boh Pils
25% Munich I

All Weyermann, with 1# of rice hulls thrown in.

Single decoction went really well, but then I got interrupted by a telus service guy and the mash rested for over 2 hrs. It lost some heat & ijt stuck. Oh well, it just took longer than I had anticipated. On the bright side, efficiency was over 80% (didn't expect that) and the OG is about 1.062. I may water it down a bit when I bottle... I was going for an easy summer drinker!

Prost.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Made 2 stouts on Wed and Thurs night. Hit 1.084 and 1.109. Should be great come winter.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Derek,

I read somewhere...some forum post...maybe HBT...that hefes should be fermented at around 15 degrees celsius, so I'm curious to know what kind of fermentation temperature control do you have in place?

I still consider myself a novice and I'm fermenting in my basement with ambient temperatures of 19 degrees celsius, but would love to brew a hefe this summer.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Mark suggested 15C a couple posts ago.

This is my first time brewing a hefe, but I think temperature depends on what you like. I love the fruity banana, but not much clove, so I'm doing it warmer. But I'm not sure how warm.

For the first 24 hrs it's been at 20C, which I think is good for yeast growth (I under-pitched with an 8 month old wyeast smack pack). Already starting to kraussen... not sure if I'll move it to the 18C basement tonight, or wait 'til morning.

Yeah, my temperature control is very primitive... variation in ambient temperature around the house (note: carboys sweat and mark wood floors). My last place had a roughed-in fireplace in the basement with no insulation, which was great in the winter. I don't typically brew in the summer.

Here's the wyeast info:

YEAST STRAIN: 3068 | Weihenstephan Weizen™

Back to Yeast Strain List

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

Origin:
Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 64-75° F (18-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

hmmm... just checked the basement and it's 15.5 C. I really need to seal up the furnace (the cool a/c is blowing out each side).
Last edited by Derek on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

In my opinion, you will get lots of banana no matter what temp you ferment at. While I love the banana, it gets a little tiring and almost cloying without some clove to balance. That is why I suggest fermenting hefeweizen at 15C, at least pitch at that temp, then allow it to go up on its own.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Hefe temp's...

Some breweries use the rule that the pitching temp added to the fermentation temp should be 30C. So 15C for both is inline with that.

Schneider supposedly pitches at 61F, and lets it raise to 71-73F.

I knew I was underpitching and I don't aerate, so I wanted to get it going. We'll see how my backwards approach works. Ambient 20C for the first 33 hrs (started getting that juicy fruit aroma), then moved to the 15.5C for the remainder.

I probably should have moved it sooner, the kraussen was REALLY high this morning (~41hrs). They recommend 33% headspace, but this must be close to 50%.

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Just brewed a "small" Saison with dual pitch of 3711 and Roselare.
Planning on doing a Bam Biere clone next week with my JP dregs.

LOVE the Farmhouse brews.