Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

matt7215 wrote:
atomeyes wrote: sho' thing, boss.
thanks for posting!

i havnt brewed a sour in a while but im going to make a few this winter and im always interested in how others are brewing sour beer.

make sure you save and reuse the oak from this project. i was making very lambic like sours only pitching oak from previous batches for a while and the results were quite good IMO.
oh yes. it's a must to save those oak lovelies.

this coming weekend, we're brewing a peach beer project.

one recipe will be a sour peach beer fermented with 100% brett claus. will likely add sour mix after fermentation to give it that tartness. not in the mood to use bugs to tart it up.
the other will be a peach cobbler beer. high alcohol. meant to drink slow. will be sweet.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

brewed 2 batches today.

both will be aged on niagara peaches.

one is a peach cobbler beer.
the other will be a sour peach beer.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

just finished brewing a brett fermented IPA with soft Ontario winter wheat, and local wildflower honey. Hopped with Apollo, Summit, and Galaxy.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

it's kind of shameful to do it in the winter, but i'm way overdue on my IPA i want to brew with my 7C hops and Vermont Ale yeast.

we're heading into the perfect temps to brew quads. cellaring them in cold spots in the basement is perfect.

also a great time to brew my TenFidy clone. cooler basement fermentation temps will yield a burn-free high-abv beer.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

atomeyes wrote:it's kind of shameful to do it in the winter, but i'm way overdue on my IPA i want to brew with my 7C hops and Vermont Ale yeast.

we're heading into the perfect temps to brew quads. cellaring them in cold spots in the basement is perfect.

also a great time to brew my TenFidy clone. cooler basement fermentation temps will yield a burn-free high-abv beer.
Just brewed a Ten Fidy clone last week. Definitely should have reduced my batch size to 4 gallons, I was left with that much after blow off anyways! Then my mash tun wouldn't have overflowed at 1.0 qt/lb thickness, though 28lbs will do that.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Oddly enough I'm planning to do a Fiddy clone in about 2 weeks.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

ercousin wrote:
atomeyes wrote:it's kind of shameful to do it in the winter, but i'm way overdue on my IPA i want to brew with my 7C hops and Vermont Ale yeast.

Just brewed a Ten Fidy clone last week. Definitely should have reduced my batch size to 4 gallons, I was left with that much after blow off anyways! Then my mash tun wouldn't have overflowed at 1.0 qt/lb thickness, though 28lbs will do that.
28 lbs??
mine was 20.5 lbs

and i expected a LOT of blowoff loss as well. divided my batch into two 5 g carboys

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

woah.
pretty sure my next brew's gonna be a TenFidy clone aged on oak soaking in apple brandy.
just think about that for a second.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

groulxsome wrote:Finalizing my Rye Saison recipe right now. I've got WLP 565 pitched into a starter for Saturday's brew day (1.5L). Here is the long recipe and reasonings, but here is the short form. It's basically another attempt to get my favorite yeast working with hops and starting to approximate my favorite wine, oaky-fruity Chardonay. Don't get at me with peppercorns, we don't need anymore peppercorn-rye-saisons!

8# 2-Row
4# Rye Malt
1/2# Victory Malt
(some rice hulls to prevent stuck sparge)
(Mash @ 152 for 60, Batch Sparge, start 90 boil)

10g Magnum (bittering) @ 60
14g Amarillo @ 15 (+ irish moss)
14g Nelson Sauvin @ 10
14g EKG @ 5
14g Amarillo @ 2

Pitch 1.5L starter of WLP 565. Once fermented (4-5 days) add 2 oz American Oak chips (pre-soaked in un-oak-ed Chardonay overnight) for 2 weeks. Bottle for ~2.8 carb vols.

1.055 OG, 6 SRM, 5.2% ABV.

Any thoughts folks? My hop schedule is pretty malleable and I'm tempted to either ramp it up or tone it down. I love how saisons age gracefully in a warm apartment (like mine), so I plan on brewing more of them throughout the summer!
Dry hop with Mosaic.

Now how many people in this thread have (or are in the process of) gone pro?

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Derek wrote:
groulxsome wrote:Finalizing my Rye Saison recipe right now.
Dry hop with Mosaic.

Now how many people in this thread have (or are in the process of) gone pro?
Woah! I've brewed that beer four times since I posted that if we count the one for the Indie Homebrew Takeover (year two). I've not tried it with much dry hopping, but I'm open to the idea. It, with some minor tweeks, is one of my most reliable recipes at this point (except for the first saison we are brewing for the nano, which has been brewed a number more times and ways!).

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Yeah, I was reading through this old thread and thought of your new endeavour.

IMHO, dry hopping with mosaic gives you more gooseberry than citra does, and you don't get any cat pee or lemon zing along with it. Certainly some other flavours, but used dry it definitely puts me in mind of Chardonnay.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Brewed a DIPA clone recipe, that involved a 4 cereal mash, and it has come out far too viscous, and the rye-cascade combo seems overpowering. Thinking of adding some water, but have never done that to a finished beer. Any suggestions?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I did a rye IPA last year and split the batch for dry hopping. Half got centennial, which was a weird, overpowering mix, but I thought the half that got cascade was great.

Maybe brew a dry IPA and mix the two?

I brewed a Brooklyn-inspired lager today.

I plan to throw the original Spring Bock recipe on that cake next week. Unfortunately I'm using the 34/70, as the Zurich yeast isn't in homebrew packs anymore. It'll probably be a bit bigger though... Like my first Bock.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

I brewed a pretty simple dry stout yesterday that I'm fermenting on American oak. Trying to get that "barrel fermented" vibe without actually owning a barrel. Hoping for a little bit of oak tannin and vanilla in there to give it a little character above the standard dry stout. An alternative, perhaps, to the influx of vanilla bean dry stouts.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Just finished brewing a double IPA with Nelson and Simcoe.