Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

An english pale ale.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Any advice on the honey? Pasteurize in the boil (15 minutes)? Just add at flame-out? Or don't heat it at all?

Part of me is leaning towards a 15 minute boil and removing the hot break... but then part of me doesn't want to loose any aroma...

jcc

Post by jcc »

Derek wrote:Any advice on the honey? Pasteurize in the boil (15 minutes)? Just add at flame-out? Or don't heat it at all?

Part of me is leaning towards a 15 minute boil and removing the hot break... but then part of me doesn't want to loose any aroma...
The only time I heat my honey is when making a Bochet. Otherwise I just dissolve in water to create the must. Since you are doing a Braggot, I'd personally probably add it at flame out to help ensure it is dissolved and well distributed.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

yeah, add at flameout

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

This is my first time using the nottingham. It certainly wasn't a slow starter... it hauled the 1.068 down to 1.013 in 3 days.

The ambient temperature was only 62F, so I'm surprised by the large amount of fruity esters it produced. The Kraussen was very bubbly, and not at all thick (almost like it kicked into fermentation, without as much propagation). One packet is underpitching a brew this big, so that might explain the prolific ester production.

I tasted the gravity sample, and there might have been a bit of a yeast bite because it hadn't cleared, but it seems to have a light tartness that comes across as very pineapple-like. Hopefully this clears.

I haven't noticed this in other peoples brews, and I thought I'd use the Notty for some more English esters and less attenuation. Now I'm thinking I should have just stuck with the good old US05 (I love that stuff).

If that tartness doesn't clear, I'll probably just use a couple packs of S05 for the Braggot.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I brewed my 50th beer last night! :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

That yeast bite from the Notty was fading, so I used it for the Braggot.

I never thought to consider the volume of Honey, so I've got 6.5 Gallons! Somehow I still managed an OG of ~1.105 (Hydrometer=1.102;Refractometer=25.5 brix). Beautiful copper colour and the best tasting wort I've every tried (by a large margin!).

The yeast seems to like the honey. I've got it in a laundry-hamper-like bucket and it looks like the Kraussen could hit the lid tonight!

If the yeast doesn't crap out, it should be around 11.5% abv. I wonder if I should add some more nutrient in a day or two?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

There's some good info on staggered nutrient additions here:
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=60156

For my Braggot, I only added 1/2 tsp of Wyeast nutrient (10 minutes left in the boil).

I don't have much experience with staggered nutrient additions, but I've read that some can promote aldehyde's and fusil alcohol formation during high kraussen... but after one yeast cycle, it could use a some more F.A.N.

After 28hrs, the gravity was down to 1.050 (48% attenuation). IT'S BUBBLING LIKE CRAZY! I added 3/4 tsp DAP (inorganic Di-ammonium phosphate).

My aeration 'system' is just a simple strainer (no joke):
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page ... 2120,33279

This one's on-track for an extremely dry brew... I probably should've added some crystal, but I've been trying to experiment without it.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

a friend and I brewed to smoked stouts today using peat smoked malt at different quanities. I can remember his, but mine was
8lb 2row
2lb wheat malt
.75 lb french coffee
.75lb c60
.5 roasted barley
.5 peat smoked malt

His recipe had alot less peat smoked malt in it. should be interesting to see how this turns out as I have heard horror stories about using peat smoked malt. anyone have any experience with it?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

phat matt wrote: His recipe had alot less peat smoked malt in it. should be interesting to see how this turns out as I have heard horror stories about using peat smoked malt. anyone have any experience with it?
I like it in brews... I've only used it once though. I've heard that it's aroma has some indication of how flavourful it'll be, so with some experience, you can adjust accordingly.

Mine didn't age very well, it became sort of medicinal/phenolic... which I thought was odd as scotch tends to get smoother with age.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

peat malt is STRONG. half pound in 5gal is a ton. first time i used it i had 6oz in 10gal and it was too much, so i cut back to 5oz in 10gal last time (roughly 0.15# in 5gal). They both had a bunch of bamberg too, but the peat still shines through.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Peat malt is disgusting.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

An american ipa with chinook and simcoe. I'm hoping to use my friend's set up on brew day to get his advice and help along the way. He's an experienced and talented homebrewer with lots of cool gadgets.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Derek wrote:
phat matt wrote: His recipe had alot less peat smoked malt in it. should be interesting to see how this turns out as I have heard horror stories about using peat smoked malt. anyone have any experience with it?
I like it in brews... I've only used it once though. I've heard that it's aroma has some indication of how flavourful it'll be, so with some experience, you can adjust accordingly.

Mine didn't age very well, it became sort of medicinal/phenolic... which I thought was odd as scotch tends to get smoother with age.
Thanks i will take that into consideration. I was hoping that it would be something that would be ok for a few months. it smells great in the fermenter. I will post back if it turns out well.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

phat matt wrote:a friend and I brewed to smoked stouts today using peat smoked malt at different quanities. I can remember his, but mine was
8lb 2row
2lb wheat malt
.75 lb french coffee
.75lb c60
.5 roasted barley
.5 peat smoked malt

His recipe had alot less peat smoked malt in it. should be interesting to see how this turns out as I have heard horror stories about using peat smoked malt. anyone have any experience with it?
Bottles this up today. tasted good from the sample i had. nice amount of smoke but not over powering. could really taste the coffee malt and c60 especially. if i ever do this again I am going to use less c60. sweetness came though too much. it attenuated well too. went down to 1.015