Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

the beer itself was good and drinkable, I just didnt get enough actual pumpkin essence from the beer. If I recall correctly, the recipe I followed asked for 60 oz of pumpkin, baked in the oven for around 350 for 30 minutes. It was then added to a 60 minute boil at the the 30 minute mark.

I want to definitely do another in the next week so I'll give your suggestion a try.

Cheers,
Jay

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

The mash was a bit of a mess, but not nearly as difficult as I'd heard it can be when you use the puree. The drained grain bed looked like pumpkin pie!

It seems to be clearing out well in the secondary. Like I said before, I may well decant to another carboy to get it off the sediment that has collected.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Pumpkin doesn't really give much flavour anyways, more of a texture thing. Maybe I'll do a fall vegetable brew this yeast instead with some pumpkin, squash and yams.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

tapped our gonzo clone today. holy shit is this good. imperial porter with tons of cascade? yes please! i think it's time for another pint!

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Just pitched Safale S-04 onto an ESB I brewed tonight...all the while enjoying the Saison I brewed last month that has quickly rounded into terrific form. This Wyeast 3711-PC certainly lends peppery notes..it really works in this brew. Starts a little sweet and citrusy, with a dry, peppery finish. Good times.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

grub wrote:tapped our gonzo clone today. holy shit is this good. imperial porter with tons of cascade? yes please! i think it's time for another pint!
That is a lot of Cascade! I've never put that much into a big stout before. Did one last summer with an ounce each of Northern Brewer and Amarillo at the end of the boil that turned out nice. I'm thinking of doing one in Nov/Dec with a boat load of Centennial at the end of the boil.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

markaberrant wrote:That is a lot of Cascade! I've never put that much into a big stout before. Did one last summer with an ounce each of Northern Brewer and Amarillo at the end of the boil that turned out nice. I'm thinking of doing one in Nov/Dec with a boat load of Centennial at the end of the boil.
this is the most late hops i've ever done on a porter. i did something in this vein for cask days '07, but it only had half as much dry hops. though, that one was cool as all the cascade was home grown and the dry hops were actually right in the cask. you can certainly tell there's lots of late hopping in this one. the bitterness is mostly chocolatey/coffeeish, but there's no mistaking the huge citrusy character. this might be one of my new favourite recipes.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

grub wrote: this is the most late hops i've ever done on a porter. i did something in this vein for cask days '07, but it only had half as much dry hops. though, that one was cool as all the cascade was home grown and the dry hops were actually right in the cask. you can certainly tell there's lots of late hopping in this one. the bitterness is mostly chocolatey/coffeeish, but there's no mistaking the huge citrusy character. this might be one of my new favourite recipes.
That sounds pretty tasty (and similar to what I was going for):
http://biergotter.org/recipes/2009-07-25-gonzo.shtml

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Just chilling the wort and getting ready to pitch onto a Pumpkin Ale I brewed tonight..

The recipe was:

2 lbs. Amber DME
1 lb. Toasted Canadian 2-Row
8 oz. CaraFoam
6 oz. Crystal 60°L
2 oz. Chocolate
1 12" Fresh Pumpkin (Roasted with Honey) @ 60 min.
0.5 oz. Northern Brewer @ 60 min.
0.5 oz. English Goldings @ 60 min.
1 tsp. Irish Moss @ 15 min.
3 1/2 lb. Pale LME @ 15 min.
1 lb. Demerara Sugar @ 15 min.
3 Whole Allspice @ 15 min.
1 Whole Nutmeg @ 15 min.
2 Cinnamon Sticks @ 15 min.
4 Whole Cloves @ 15 min.
2 tbsp. Fresh Ginger @ 15 min.
1 Vanilla Bean @ 15 min.
0.4 oz. Saaz @ 5 min.
Danstar Nottingham yeast
Target IBU: 28

The aroma in the house is rather pleasant...

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Derek wrote:That sounds pretty tasty (and similar to what I was going for):
http://biergotter.org/recipes/2009-07-25-gonzo.shtml
yeah, it is pretty tasty. i have a feeling that keg ain't gonna last long...

sneak preview at today's quad: http://biergotter.org/recipes/2009-09-19-monks.shtml

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek, I was thinking about your Balgian Cider yesterday and I was telling a co-worker about it. Did you use orval yeast for that?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Derek, I was thinking about your Balgian Cider yesterday and I was telling a co-worker about it. Did you use orval yeast for that?
It was just the White labs Trappist Ale (Chimay), fermented warm (>70F). I think it was the 5th generation after multiple dubbles & strong darks, so who knows how much it was mutated! I just dumped the fresh cider on the yeast cake & added a little yeast nutrient. Really simple... but I used a fair bit of gelatin & plenty of time to try and get it to clear. If I ever did another cider, I'd try using some pectin enzyme first.

It is cider time... I probably should have threw some on that nice British yeast cake (S04), rather than dumping it down the drain! (I think it's a good idea to use a fresh cake, as cider doesn't have the same nutrients as wort for good growth/multiplication).

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Derek, I was thinking about your Balgian Cider yesterday and I was telling a co-worker about it. Did you use orval yeast for that?
It was just the White labs Trappist Ale (Chimay), fermented warm (>70F). I think it was the 5th generation after multiple dubbles & strong darks, so who knows how much it was mutated! I just dumped the fresh cider on the yeast cake & added a little yeast nutrient. Really simple... but I used a fair bit of gelatin & plenty of time to try and get it to clear. If I ever did another cider, I'd try using some pectin enzyme first.

It is cider time... I probably should have threw some on that nice British yeast cake (S04), rather than dumping it down the drain! (I think it's a good idea to use a fresh cake, as cider doesn't have the same nutrients as wort for good growth/multiplication).

Cool, thanks. I remember it was quite funky. An interesting take on a cider. I had shared it with a couple of people, and everyone liked itm, especially Danielle.

If you make more, let me know. I'd glafly purchase a few bottles off of you to hold on to. Cheers
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Last night I brewed a quick batch of Brown Ale while half-watching the season premiere of House. Crystal 45°L and Chocolate malts along with Fuggles hops for bittering and flavouring. OG landed at 1.037, target IBU is 22. The plan is to keep making batches and tweaking the recipe until I dial it in just how I want it as my standby session ale.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

cannondale wrote:Last night I brewed a quick batch of Brown Ale while half-watching the season premiere of House. Crystal 45°L and Chocolate malts along with Fuggles hops for bittering and flavouring. OG landed at 1.037, target IBU is 22. The plan is to keep making batches and tweaking the recipe until I dial it in just how I want it as my standby session ale.
We talking full 5 gallons? I was thinking of trying some 2 or 3 gallon brews for that same reason; tweaking and perfecting. I suppose it's the same amount of work but cheaper on supplies.