Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:BBT isn't a bad choice. b brux could get interesting.

i'd always suggest closer to 150 if you can. just lends to that dryer finish that i'd associate with wine-like strains of brett. also make sure you have a hell of a starter and that it's been building for 2 weeks vs 2 days. probably need to do a 2-step starter if you want it to be strong.
I did make a big two stage starter, two weeks in advance. The beer took off like crazy, and after about two weeks it looked like fermentation had pretty much stopped and it was still at 1.038. I brought it upstairs to warm up a bit and it got down to where it is now, but that seems like it may be it.

brux isn't really the direction I want to go with it, I'll probably go trois if I do anything. Not sure though.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Lambic day! Lambic day!

(what was i thinking????)

first attempt at a turbid mash. will keep me on the go.

have lots of stale hallertau i'm tossing in. east coast yeast to innoculate. pussied out and am only doing a 3 hr boil.
fun times!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

atomeyes wrote:Lambic day! Lambic day!

have lots of stale hallertau i'm tossing in. east coast yeast to innoculate. pussied out and am only doing a 3 hr boil.
fun times!
turbid mashes are fun! even better, we're usually doing two 10gal batches in parallel, so you get to do everything twice. keeps you on your toes. I REALLY like having detailed notes, particularly for the turbid mash, showing times + temps and all that.

why wimp out on the boil? if you're doing 3, you might as well go whole hog and let it ride 4-5!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

grub wrote:
atomeyes wrote:Lambic day! Lambic day!

fun times!
turbid mashes are fun! even better, we're usually doing two 10gal batches in parallel, so you get to do everything twice. keeps you on your toes. I REALLY like having detailed notes, particularly for the turbid mash, showing times + temps and all that.

why wimp out on the boil? if you're doing 3, you might as well go whole hog and let it ride 4-5!
it was bad enough that i had to ask my neighbour to turn the burner off at 6:45 PM. asking someone to come over on a friday night at 8 or 9 PM isn't that cool.

i had a family dinner that i couldn't say no to. boil started at 3:45. the wind was something lovely yesterday.

doing the turbid mash wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

I brewed sort of a saison type thing. New Zealand hops, Jamaican Tangelo zest & Yuzu juice.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

J343MY wrote:I brewed sort of a saison type thing. New Zealand hops, Jamaican Tangelo zest & Yuzu juice.
Would it be possible to post the recipe? My girlfriend may like that.
lister

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

lister wrote:Would it be possible to post the recipe? My girlfriend may like that.
Sure,

41% pils
33% 2-row
8% munich
6% oats
12% unmalted wheat

1lb Belgian golden candi syrup (to be added at the end of fermentation)

1 oz Motueka @10 mins
1 oz Wakatu @ 10 mins

20g of Jamaican Tangelo zest steeped in hot wort for 15ish minutes before chilling.

1.067 OG (after candi syrup addition)

fermented with second generation blend of WLP565, WLP644 & Crooked Stave Surette dregs.

50-100ml of Yuzu juice to be added once fermentation dies down.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Excellent, thank you!
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

jeremy,
curious as to why you chose to do 2-row and pilsner blend, vs one or the other.

for some of my beer, i'll do a 3:1 pils:MO blend, and that's just to keep the MO breadiness down or make it present. what are your thoughts?

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:jeremy,

for some of my beer, i'll do a 3:1 pils:MO blend, and that's just to keep the MO breadiness down or make it present. what are your thoughts?
I had 5 pounds of pilsner malt that had been kicking around for a while. I just decided to use it up. No real reason other than that. It would have been all 2-row otherwise.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

J343MY wrote:

I had 5 pounds of pilsner malt that had been kicking around for a while. I just decided to use it up. No real reason other than that. It would have been all 2-row otherwise.
you prefer 2-row over pilsner? any reason?

had this discussion with a brewer. he claims he likes pilsner because it is cleaner all-around (palate-wise and dust-wise).

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

First brew of 2014 on Saturday night, hadn't brewed since November. Did a 2-row, rye, dark rye, and chocolate malt brew with some Columbus bittering and galaxy aroma hops.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Going to attempt a TenFidy-inspired stout. a cool basement will do wonders for primary and secondary.
will do it either this Friday or one day next week if/when it is nice out

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:
J343MY wrote:

you prefer 2-row over pilsner? any reason?

had this discussion with a brewer. he claims he likes pilsner because it is cleaner all-around (palate-wise and dust-wise).
2-row is my go-to base malt because I brew a lot of hoppy beers, and I like 2-row for them. I buy several sacks at a time so its just what I always have on hand. If I'm doing something like the above beer with a lot going on, I'll just use 2-row. If its a more delicate style, I might buy a different base malt specifically for that.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Saturday: brewing a TenFidy-inspired clone. OG is around 1.11. FG is around 1.030. big beer.
bought an oxygen stone. figured it was about time. especially with this beer. tired of rocking glass carboys.

also ordered some of the Yeast Bay's yeast, including the Vermont strain (i.e. Heady Topper). would make a nice summer IPA.