Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

I just finished brewing a saison with tangerine juice and zest. Mixed fermentation, hopped with centennial and cascade.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Today I brewed an Everett inspired porter.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

I brewed a fall saison this weekend

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I just bottled a belgian strong dark ale with a bit of holiday spice. Reused the yeast for some cider, but it seems some acetobacter came in with cider. Not sure what I'll do with that much vinegar... To tell you the truth, Having this shit in my house scares me!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Brewed a Triple Chocolate Cherry Stout with the Brew York club yesterday, considering adding bourbon oak cubes to a part of it.

Really happy with how the American Brown portion of my parti-gyle brew turned out. The DIPA seems to be far sweeter than intended, more barleywinish. I'm giving it a double, maybe triple dry hop.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

My first pumpkin beer. Trying for something close to Pumking and experimenting with CaraBrown.

Also made an "Old Fashioned" brew based off the cocktail.
lister

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

lister wrote:Also made an "Old Fashioned" brew based off the cocktail.
My brother and I were talking about this idea the other day. How did you do it?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

J343MY wrote:
lister wrote:Also made an "Old Fashioned" brew based off the cocktail.
My brother and I were talking about this idea the other day. How did you do it?
I had the idea and did a search online. "Good programmers write good code, great programmers steal great code." My memory is a little fuzzy now but I think I found two recipes and mashed them together, changing this and that and scaling it down. This is my first attempt at brewing it so it'll be interesting to taste how it turns out.

One gallon:
Maris Otter 2.18lb
CaraMunich I 0.18lb
Crystal 50-60L 0.09lb
Special B 0.72oz
Chocolate Malt 0.38oz
Smoked Malt 0.18oz
Dextrose 0.36lb

Fuggle 0.18oz 60m
Willamette 0.18oz 30m
Fuggle 0.18oz 30m
Fuggle 0.09oz 15m
Willamette 0.09oz 5m
Fuggle 0.09oz 5m

Sweet Orange Peel 0.18oz 5m (was originally bitter but had sweet on hand)

Safale US-05 yeast 1/2 packet

After fermentation:
Cherries 0.3lb
Bourbon soaked oak chips 12g
Vanilla paste 1tsp

Bitters at bottling (haven't figured out how much yet)

Also still figuring out when to put in the cherries, oak and vanilla after fermentation and before bottling. Have to figure that out in the next day or two.
lister

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

lister wrote:I had the idea and did a search online. "Good programmers write good code, great programmers steal great code." My memory is a little fuzzy now but I think I found two recipes and mashed them together, changing this and that and scaling it down. This is my first attempt at brewing it so it'll be interesting to taste how it turns out.

One gallon:
Maris Otter 2.18lb
CaraMunich I 0.18lb
Crystal 50-60L 0.09lb
Special B 0.72oz
Chocolate Malt 0.38oz
Smoked Malt 0.18oz
Dextrose 0.36lb

Fuggle 0.18oz 60m
Willamette 0.18oz 30m
Fuggle 0.18oz 30m
Fuggle 0.09oz 15m
Willamette 0.09oz 5m
Fuggle 0.09oz 5m

Sweet Orange Peel 0.18oz 5m (was originally bitter but had sweet on hand)

Safale US-05 yeast 1/2 packet

After fermentation:
Cherries 0.3lb
Bourbon soaked oak chips 12g
Vanilla paste 1tsp

Bitters at bottling (haven't figured out how much yet)

Also still figuring out when to put in the cherries, oak and vanilla after fermentation and before bottling. Have to figure that out in the next day or two.
What's the style of the base beer here?

Also what's the reasoning for the vanilla? its seems out of place.

One option for the bitters is you could just add a few dashes to the glass when you're drinking one. At least for this batch to see how it works.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

J343MY wrote:What's the style of the base beer here?

Also what's the reasoning for the vanilla? its seems out of place.

One option for the bitters is you could just add a few dashes to the glass when you're drinking one. At least for this batch to see how it works.
To be honest I don't remember what was said about the style in the posts I found. I'll be damned if I can't find them again. Right now I'm just doing this for fun, experimenting and trying to make stuff that I find tasty particularly for the more odd brews. I'm being a little more serious (including tracking cost to replace my summer spending at the LCBO) on my different SMaSH summer pale ales which I'm brewing 2.5 gallons of each for next year.

I've experimented with old fashioned cocktails for a while and lately have added a touch of vanilla to them. I just wanted to be similar for comparison between my cocktails and the beer. I recently got a smoking gun so I'll be trying to replicate BarChef's $45 smoked manhattan soon and may try making a similar beer. Great cocktail by the way!

I may do that for the bitters with this batch. I could try different amounts per glass to find what works then scale it up for inclusion in the next batch.
lister

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

next up for me is a funky triple:

10 lbs 2 row
2 lbs table sugar

3 oz Spalt Select @ cube

t58 + Jolly Pumpkin dregs

expected OG: 1.075

hopefully it will finish between 1.005 and 1.010

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

first time brewing in almost 3 months.
made a lambic with a bunch of homebrewers. got 80 litres. hit our gravity. came pretty close to hitting our temp targets.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

atomeyes wrote:first time brewing in almost 3 months.
made a lambic with a bunch of homebrewers. got 80 litres. hit our gravity. came pretty close to hitting our temp targets.
do you mind posting a few more details?

process?

what microbes were pitched?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

matt7215 wrote:
atomeyes wrote:first time brewing in almost 3 months.
do you mind posting a few more details?

process?

what microbes were pitched?
sho' thing, boss.

first, we have a pretty slack homebrew club that mainly revolves around drinking homebrew and we rarely brew together.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/toronto ... b/?fref=ts

i brewed a lambic this spring. didn't go for spontaneous fermentation for obvious reasons. we used the Roselaire blend because, out of the commercially-available mainstream bugs, it's known to give the best results.

i brought out a Giardin Gueuze and we used those dregs in 1 bottling bucket (we want the O2).

we used a turbid mash and had 4 target temps and then 1 sparge. takes around 3-3.5 hrs to mash.
boil was 3 hours.
let it cool overnight and pitched mid-day the next day. recipe was the typical/traditional lambic mix. used a bunch of stale hallertau hops.

it was an 80 litre batch. divided into 4 buckets. added some light charred french oak cubes to each bucket.
we'll revisit them in a year. will hopefully re-brew annually, if not twice a year.

it was really fun and isn't that hard to do. just a lot of time and steps.
Last edited by atomeyes on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

atomeyes wrote: sho' thing, boss.
thanks for posting!

i havnt brewed a sour in a while but im going to make a few this winter and im always interested in how others are brewing sour beer.

make sure you save and reuse the oak from this project. i was making very lambic like sours only pitching oak from previous batches for a while and the results were quite good IMO.