Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I took the day off... currently mashing an SOB Nut Brown (inspired but different):

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B3 ... %20k&hl=en

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

grub wrote:
markaberrant wrote:this is the most late hops i've ever done on a porter. i did something in this vein for cask days '07, but it only had half as much dry hops. though, that one was cool as all the cascade was home grown and the dry hops were actually right in the cask. you can certainly tell there's lots of late hopping in this one. the bitterness is mostly chocolatey/coffeeish, but there's no mistaking the huge citrusy character. this might be one of my new favourite recipes.
So I got my hoppy stout brewed last weekend, very similar to yours. 1.087, about the same IBUs, used up a bunch of leftover specialty malts and hops from last year. 2oz of Cascade, 1oz of Centennial and .5oz of Zeus at flameout. Without a doubt, this was the tastiest brewday hydrometer sample ever!

Gonna dry hop with 1.5oz of Cascade and .5oz of Centennial.

I then capped that mash with another 10 lbs of grain (2-row and 1lb of caramunich) and brewed up a 1.075 brown ale, IBUs around 30-40, and added 2 oz of cocoa at the end of the boil. It's getting 2oz of roasted cacao nibs and 3 vanilla beans added to the secondary. Hydro sample tasted pretty damn fine too!

And I just dry hopped my 1.075 IPA last night. It fermented down to 1.010-.012, which is about where I wanted it. I used some awesome Cascade and Centennial - 6oz combined in the last 20 minutes of the boil, another 3oz for dry hopping. Tastes a little green at this point, but I'm hoping it rounds out.

Hey Grub, how did the pumpkin saison turn out? Our club president brewed up a sweet potato saison at the beginning of the month with a pack of French Saison yeast I gave him.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

markaberrant wrote:

Hey Grub, how did the pumpkin saison turn out? Our club president brewed up a sweet potato saison at the beginning of the month with a pack of French Saison yeast I gave him.
Not sure how it is, smells pretty damn good. I've had too many other things on tap to be able to put that pumpkin saison on.

thekulman

Post by thekulman »

Just kegged "Happy Wife Cream Ale" and an Amber Ale today. Transferred my "Where the Helles my Bock!" to secondary and yesterday brewed a Belgian Dubbel.

Next up I'm thinking about the Nut Brown Ale for the Amsterdam SOB contest or a lager since conditions are perfect in the garage to brew them right now.

Brian
Homebrewers Retail
www.homebrewersretail.com - 2 row always $1.10/lb (Canada Malting)
We now carry Wyeast Activator packs, White Labs pitchable vials and 5 Star products.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Derek wrote:I took the day off... currently mashing an SOB Nut Brown (inspired but different):

Hey D - so how were you inspired and different, or is that under wraps until the contest is over?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Bobsy wrote:
Derek wrote:I took the day off... currently mashing an SOB Nut Brown (inspired but different):

Hey D - so how were you inspired and different, or is that under wraps until the contest is over?
Top secret. :D

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

brewing an american bitter this weekend, the yeast from that will go into my biggest IPA ever

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

On Thursday I bottled an old ale (made with the Wyeast old ale strain) that had been in secondary for the past four months. Also dry hopping a black IPA that should be bottled next week. Next brew will be an imperial IPA using the Rogue Pacman yeast.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Bottling a Witbier and a Porter this weekend.

When is this SOB/Amsterdam Nut Brown contest?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

cannondale wrote: When is this SOB/Amsterdam Nut Brown contest?
The deadline for entry is Saturday January 16th, 2010:

That's 7 weeks tomorrow... so get brewing!

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Gedge wrote:On Thursday I bottled an old ale (made with the Wyeast old ale strain) that had been in secondary for the past four months. Also dry hopping a black IPA that should be bottled next week. Next brew will be an imperial IPA using the Rogue Pacman yeast.
I made an English barleywine with that strain. Has been aging on brandy soaked oak cubes for a couple months. I should bottle that soon.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

You guys are all setting aside 5 bottles of these great sounding beers for the upcoming NHC right? Canadian qualifier is April 13 - 17, 2010.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Plan is to brew a La Chouffe clone this weekend. Fermentables and hopping are quite straightforward, but I'm wondering about the spices. The recipes I've seen range from no spice at all, to coriander/cumin/carraway in various proportions. Normally I use a recipe as a guideline, but in this case I'm intending to get this one as close as possible.

Anyone tried brewing this before? Any thoughts on the spices (type and amount)?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

What yeast is it? Do you know if they actually add spices or if its just yeast character?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Valumart had the PC Fresh Pressed Mulled Cider on sale, so I'm going to dump that on a yeast cake.

I've never used mulled cider before (though I have added cinnamon). I'll see how this works out. It would've been cheaper to buy plain cider and spice the secondary, or I could've even split the batch... but this is basically plug & play... and the 12L will probably be gone by the end of the holidays!

Aged cider is great... hopefully the pomme nouveau is drinkable! :D