Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i just BOTTLED an all-brett belgian blonde I made back in february.
used East Coast Yeast's brett strain.
it behaved quite unusual. i tasted it 1-2 months after brewing and it still had residual sweetness, which is strange, since brett as primary acts like sacc.
so i set it and forgot it. literally. my lazy habit/disdain for bottling.
sampled it this week and it had that Orval hint to it with a peppery rye finish.

of course, a lesson learned for everyone: don't bottle beer after a saturday afternoon nap. pretty sure i forgot to StarSan my bottling bucket thoroughly. that's a first after 3 years of brewing. i should be fine, but still. for fuck's sake.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Ipa I finished with Galaxy... Good, but I need to work on my water & add some salt.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Took advantage of the warmer weather today and wrapping up a robust porter, decided to go Citra on the hop profile (what I had) though. Also going to split off half of it to let it sit on some rum aged oak. Not sure if it will all meld together but good to get out & brew!

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Brewing a Best Bitter today. Aiming for an easy drinker, lots of EKG in the kettle, and a nice mix of Fawcets Crystal I and Dark II.

For fun I'm taking a pH measurement at each point in the process to get a better idea how how pH changes.

Cheers.
Eric

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

today I brewed 5 gallons of Wee Heavy and 5 gallons of Scottish Stout

I added some of fresh 2 row, Melanoidin and a blend of dark malt to the mash after i ran off the first runnings for the Wee Heavy. Ended up with OGs of 1.096 and 1.062

pitched wyeast 1728 for both

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I bottled a mild, which is tasting great, today and racked an IS (that I messed up with a stuck mash and missed my gravity target by a mile) to secondary. The stout tastes fine, but it's hardly the imperial it should be.

On the side a friend and I have pitched the following yeast strains spread out over 8 batches of cider to share:

1. WLP775: Dry cider yeast, will ferment cider to completion.

2. WLP775 with Brett in secondary (see 3)

3. Brett: Brettanomyces isolated from a Canadian wild beer (that Bar Volo/TDD sour)

4. A wild Brett(?) we isolated from apples.

5. WY3726PC: Farmhouse strain

6. Wild yeast taken from a crate of self-fermenting apples: This yeast is oxidative and will only ferment to ~2% alcohol by volume. (We'll pitch WLP775 onto it after a few days)

7. Blend of Sacc, Brett, and Lacto isolated from Hill Farmstead Phenomenology of Spirit.

8. Wild ferment. I did this last year with apples from the same source and it turned out terrific.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:
3. Brett: Brettanomyces isolated from a Canadian wild beer (that Bar Volo/TDD sour)

6. Wild yeast taken from a crate of self-fermenting apples: This yeast is oxidative and will only ferment to ~2% alcohol by volume. (We'll pitch WLP775 onto it after a few days)

7. Blend of Sacc, Brett, and Lacto isolated from Hill Farmstead Phenomenology of Spirit.

8. Wild ferment. I did this last year with apples from the same source and it turned out terrific.
lacto and cider may be weird. sour cider?

pretty sure the Trou du Diable barrel-aged beer is all pasteurized prior to bottling. that likely isn't brett that you isolated and is the sacc used to bottle condition.

wild ferments: that's the traditional way to ferment cider. i don't like the variability and potential for it to taste like a camel's dong. this year, i heated my cider into the 70s (C) for 20 min and then pitched yeast. it's early, but so far, it tastes great. it also eliminates the E Coli risk you can get with unpasteurized cider.

"wild yeast taken from a crate of self-fermenting apples" - you sure it isn't lacto? or, worse, acetobacter?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

atomeyes wrote:
Craig wrote:

lacto and cider may be weird. sour cider?

pretty sure the Trou du Diable barrel-aged beer is all pasteurized prior to bottling. that likely isn't brett that you isolated and is the sacc used to bottle condition.

wild ferments: that's the traditional way to ferment cider. i don't like the variability and potential for it to taste like a camel's dong. this year, i heated my cider into the 70s (C) for 20 min and then pitched yeast. it's early, but so far, it tastes great. it also eliminates the E Coli risk you can get with unpasteurized cider.

"wild yeast taken from a crate of self-fermenting apples" - you sure it isn't lacto? or, worse, acetobacter?
I love sour ciders, I'm happy to take the gamble given how many other batches we have on the go.

It's brett. Those beers are gushers, I'd be surprised if they're pasteurized. But we know it's Brett, we looked at it under a microscope.

I really liked the wild ferment I did last year, but I guess there's always that risk. I figure at least one of these attempts will suck, but I'm getting like 8 different things here so I'm not likely to run out.

I'm told it's Hanseniaspora apiculata. I don't know anything about it really, my buddy picked that one. These are his full notes:

This yeast is oxidative and will only ferment to ~2% alcohol by volume. However, it will impart many flavours typical of spontaneously-fermented ciders, including some great fruit esters. To use, this yeast should be added to well oxygenated cider, mead or fruit wine, one to two days before pitching conventional yeast. This yeast will be readily killed by wine or beer yeasts, and as such must be added prior to pitching these yeasts

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Craig wrote:I bottled a mild, which is tasting great, today and racked an IS (that I messed up with a stuck mash and missed my gravity target by a mile) to secondary. The stout tastes fine, but it's hardly the imperial it should be.

On the side a friend and I have pitched the following yeast strains spread out over 8 batches of cider to share:

1. WLP775: Dry cider yeast, will ferment cider to completion.

2. WLP775 with Brett in secondary (see 3)

5. WY3726PC: Farmhouse strain

Richard gave me some of this one and I brewed a beer with it back in August. I should check how its doing soon.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

I just finished brewing a Saison with Hibiscus, and Meyer lemon juice & zest. Most delicious wort I've ever tasted. It was kind of like pink lemonade.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Bottled up my Lagunitas Sucks clone (it falls far short) for the GTA Brews advent swap, and yesterday with Brew York we took a stab at a Weihenstephaner Dunkel clone
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

was supposed to attempt a BCBS clone today, but have to postpone the brew due to HANGOVER

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:was supposed to attempt a BCBS clone today, but have to postpone the brew due to HANGOVER
I've always found being hungover to be an important part of the brewing process.

As for me, on Saturday I did a simple, minimally hopped beer and left it in my coolship over night. The resulting block of ice is now thawing in the basement.

Today i made an Oatmeal stout.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

J343MY wrote:
atomeyes wrote:was supposed to attempt a BCBS clone today, but have to postpone the brew due to HANGOVER
I've always found being hungover to be an important part of the brewing process.

As for me, on Saturday I did a simple, minimally hopped beer and left it in my coolship over night. The resulting block of ice is now thawing in the basement.

Today i made an Oatmeal stout.
Have you ever thought of adding a heat pad to your cool ship to stall the cooling process from 3-4 hours to 12 hours? Jean Van Roy mentioned that idea in a Basic Brewing podcast. Would extend the exposure time.

He also mentioned that doing it when cool outside is key to get the right microbes.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I, II or III? :P
lister