Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Buying a house....and more importantly a brewery

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

dutchcanuck wrote:I'm really concerned about how to do this cost-effectively, so what kind of brewing setup do you use?
I'm not sure what an indoor electric/natural gas heating and ventilation setup would cost, you could probably build most of it yourself with parts from Home Depot.

Other than that, you just need a mash tun, a HLT and a kettle to do all-grain brewing. I would ballpark the combined cost of all 3, plus various fittings at $100-$150.

You'll also need a grain mill, or know someone who has one. Some supply shops will crush your grain for you, but then you can't buy in bulk, which is where the real cost savings of all-grain kicks in. I spent $150 on my mill, and it paid for itself in just 1 year of brewing.

You'll need all the other basic brewing equipment (carboys, racking cane, bottling/kegging stuff, hydrometer, cleaners, sanitizers, etc). I would suggest getting this stuff first, and then you can start making the Festabrew or Brewhouse kits right away. These are decent kits, and they will give you a good understanding of sanitation, cleaning, fermentation and bottling.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I am going to start all-grain brewing right away, so one thing I am looking for is a Cooler Mash Lauter Tun. One of those barrel coolers, not the box, anyone know where to get a REALLY good deal on coolers?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Unless you plan on doing 5 Ga batches with starting gravities under 1.060, a 5 Ga cooler isn't big enough.

Unfortunately, once you go larger than 5 Gallons, the barrel coolers get more expensive (and false bottoms aren't cheap either).

So most people that use coolers tend to use a box. Copper & PVC are relatively cheap & making a manifold isn't hard... but there's nothing wrong with batch-sparging with a mesh-screen either.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I want to buy a large cooler so I can upgrade with it (thinking doing high gravity 5.5 gallon mashes), but I read an article by Palmer that if you use TOO big of a box cooler, you wont get a sufficient grain bed. Can anyone provide some real life feedback?

jcc

Post by jcc »

dutchcanuck wrote:I want to buy a large cooler so I can upgrade with it (thinking doing high gravity 5.5 gallon mashes), but I read an article by Palmer that if you use TOO big of a box cooler, you wont get a sufficient grain bed. Can anyone provide some real life feedback?
I use a 52 qt Coleman Extreme cooler with a copper manifold for my 10 gallon batches. I would think a cooler of this size would be fine if you are doing high gravity 5.5 gallon batches. Your grain bed should be thick enough. For 10 gallons, it really isn't big enough I find. I should have gone with the 70 qt as often I am running out of cooler space before I hit my mash temp at higher gravities. Not a huge issue, but something to consider if you're doing 10 gallon batches.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm now using a 52 qt coleman xtreme for 5 Ga batches.

When I decocted an Alt that was around 1.054, I vorlaufed for half an hour before it was running clean. That was the only 'issue' I've had.

My efficiency has ranged from 67 to 77%. With a thicker bed, you'd probably do better fly sparging, but batch sparging won't make a difference.

I went with the xtreme in hopes that it would maintain the temperature better (especially for decoctions), but I think the air space is a bit of a problem. Definitely don't go too large.

jcc

Post by jcc »

Derek wrote:I went with the xtreme in hopes that it would maintain the temperature better (especially for decoctions), but I think the air space is a bit of a problem. Definitely don't go too large.
I am doing 10 gallons usually, so I do tend to fill the cooler, but I have never had problems holding temperature, at least within 1 or 2 degrees, even at -10 in the garage. I always dump about 4 litres of boiling, or at least hot water, into the cooler before I mash and let it sit while I bring my HLT up to temperature. Seems to reduce the errors in hitting my mash temperatures I had prior to doing that.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

+1 on the 52qt Coleman. I also hit it with boiling water prior to mashing and I've had good results.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

IIRC, when I pulled 1/3-1/2 of the grain for a decoction, it lost about 7-8F in an hour.

I think my single infusions lost around 3-4F for a 1 hr rest.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Great info guys, you've definitely sold me on the cooler MLT idea. Now question, what other options are there to using copper tubing on the bottom of the cooler to sparge? Are their other or better options?

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Stainless steel braid.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Keep the facts flowing my fellow home brewers!

Another question, what is the general consensus on primary and secondary fermentations? I've heard that you can get away with just doing a single fermentation for ales. What do you guys think?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

dutchcanuck wrote:Keep the facts flowing my fellow home brewers!

Another question, what is the general consensus on primary and secondary fermentations? I've heard that you can get away with just doing a single fermentation for ales. What do you guys think?
I am strictly a primary guy, unless I need to dry hop, or if I am making mead/cider/sour ale.

That being said, you still need at least 2-3 carboys. I think I have around 10.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Curious...why do you use 2-3 carboys?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

dutchcanuck wrote:Another question, what is the general consensus on primary and secondary fermentations? I've heard that you can get away with just doing a single fermentation for ales. What do you guys think?
I think it's fine to leave it on the yeast, but if there's much trub I'd recommend racking it off. I generally just do a secondary.