Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What HOMEBREW are you drinking right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

matt7215 wrote:
matt7215 wrote:brewing this flanders red either this weekend or next:

3 lbs pilsner
3 lbs munich
3 lbs vienna
1 lb light wheat
0.5 lbs crystal 60L
0.5 lbs crystal 120L

1 oz saaz @ 60min

Wyeast 3763 Roselare
currently drinking a bottle of ^this^ that i brewed last may, its in excellent form and i cant wait to see how it matures in the coming years
May 2010 or May 2011?

On Tuesday, I am going to keg a portion of my Flanders Red that has been sitting on sour cherries for 3 months.

Just sampled my cherry mead that I put together 10 days ago. Already down from 1.140 to 1.020, and tastes great. Staggered nutrient additions, lots of yeast and lots of oxygen kicks ass!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

markaberrant wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
matt7215 wrote:brewing this flanders red either this weekend or next:

3 lbs pilsner
3 lbs munich
3 lbs vienna
1 lb light wheat
0.5 lbs crystal 60L
0.5 lbs crystal 120L

1 oz saaz @ 60min

Wyeast 3763 Roselare
currently drinking a bottle of ^this^ that i brewed last may, its in excellent form and i cant wait to see how it matures in the coming years
May 2010 or May 2011?

On Tuesday, I am going to keg a portion of my Flanders Red that has been sitting on sour cherries for 3 months.

Just sampled my cherry mead that I put together 10 days ago. Already down from 1.140 to 1.020, and tastes great. Staggered nutrient additions, lots of yeast and lots of oxygen kicks ass!
May 2010

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I picked up a couple sacs of malt today and realized that I really HAD to organize my storage area.

Found a case of Mead my wife made about 13 years ago. The bottles are really hit or SEVERELY miss... this one is a hit, and WAY too drinkable.

Half a bottle of mead really really makes cleanup a lot more bearable.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Cool find Derek.

Last night I blended a 16oz bottle of my 18 month old Monk's Elixir clone (too sweet, despite an FG of 1.009) with a 12oz bottle of my 18 month old Belgian IPA (no hop character left, but the bitterness cuts the sweetness of the Monk's)... tastes way better than the Westy 12 I sampled a couple weeks ago! Killer stuff.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I loved the westy12 I once shared. I was surprised that I indeed thought it was the best quad I had tasted. We had a few quands back-to-back, and my wife (who doesn't like hops) actually prefered the St. Bernardus 20th anniversary... she thought it was more balanced. I can't remember which one Mike prefered, but I think we all had different favs.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:I loved the westy12 I once shared. I was surprised that I indeed thought it was the best quad I had tasted. We had a few quands back-to-back, and my wife (who doesn't like hops) actually prefered the St. Bernardus 20th anniversary... she thought it was more balanced. I can't remember which one Mike prefered, but I think we all had different favs.
I prefer aged quads in general (they start getting good around 18-24 months). My commercial favs are Rochefort 10 and St Bernardus Abt 12. I also REALLY dig Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van de Keizer, but I consider it more of a Belgian barleywine (it has big body and sweetness, though not cloying and still finishes dry). i haven't come across too many others that come anywhere close to these ones (I think quads like La Trappe and Chimay are brutal).

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm not a huge fan of the 10... I even bought a case to try it as it aged. I just find it a little hot & thin.

I'd say the Carolus is the exact opposite. I think it's all malt. Great stuff.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Unpacking & cleaning also unveiled 2 of my wet-hopped Imperial stouts from a couple years ago. I had one with Stilton... very nice.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Currently drinking through the last few bottles of a SMaSH IPA using Aramis hops. The Aramis have a really neat grassy, peppery flavour, and are probably better suited to lagering, but I like how they've turned out here. The porter we brewed a couple months back is tasting really good right now too.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Galaxy DIPA. Hop aroma has faded a little, but is still very much there.

This is a great hop.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Split a bottle of my homebrewed IPA (dubbed "Warrior Falcon IPA," since the kit used Warrior and Falconer's Flight hops) today. Much better than the first homebrew attempt, this one actually tasted like an IPA. Not incredibly flavourful, but solid and very drinkable. Next: all grain...something!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

a barley wine i bottled last january, huge beer, almost 13%

nose is great, flavour is still a little rough

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Drinking a frankenstein of a homebrew, it is a blend of at least 5 different batches, and then I just freshly dry hopped it with some Simcoe. Tastes like a killer American Brown ale, think I am finally happy with this one, will hopefully leave it alone now. I also have an "American Amber" that was blended and dry hopped the same.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

An all Centennial IPA, not quite hop candy, but damn close
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Dan Poulin's Scotch aged Nut brown. Very Tasty
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole